Could This Be Seizures Or A Brain Stroke?

Lya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Before anything, I live in a third world country tiny village-like city. We have a few vets, but only one with a tiny clinic with one OR and no emergency service. My cat was rescued 5 years ago, she's very nervous and jumpy, whenever you try to grab her she will flee like is life or death. I took care of her until she mildly trusted me, getting her spayed and her shots were really hard, but I love her to death. She recently started eating less and with much effort, I noticed she had an issue with a canine and a molar. I went to the clinic, and my vet told me she might need a cleaning and extraction, and that he had done full removals many times (people here don't take great care of their pets). So I took her, luckily only a canine and a molar had to be removed, but she had a hard time recovering from the anesthesia (propofol and xylazine). After that she ate, slept, pooped and peed fine; except with random episodes were she kinda spaces out, walks like something is stuck on her back paws and if she is laying somewhere has a hard time to get up and starts lightly "patting" with her front paws, and her head moves like she's nodding off. All of this happens mostly at night, during around 10 minutes.

Outside the episodes, she's slightly sleepier than usual, but plays, jumps and does everything she did.

The first day my vet told me this might still be anesthesia, and some cats take longer to recover and such. Then now (around 5 days later) she still has random episodes, mostly at night and, like yesterday, she was fine all day.

After the episodes stop, she acts completly normal, plays with her toys and such. The vet gave her some prednisolone, he told me he had never seen such a thing with any cat and we should keep watching her.

There is no one that can help us. My vet promised to do some research, but I'm afraid he will do worst. I read how if this is a minor stroke she could fully recover with minor, basic vet care, but I don't know. Please, if anyone can guide me, is this anesthesia still? Will it go away or how can I help my vet give her some help with so little resources?

I love her so much, I'm so afraid of losing her.

Thank you so much for reading all of this, thank you so much.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could i suppose have been caused by the Anesthesia, but i dont know. or she could have had a minor stroke, i suppose that is also possible. I would keep watching her, and if it continues, or anything else shows up talk to your vet. It sounds like he is willing to help you with her. I would hope she just continues to get better, and has no more episodes. and just keep in close contact with your vet.

I am so sorry you guys are going through this, i know its scary. Have hope that she will not have more episodes, that it was due to the anesthesia, and now that it is out of her system she is better. As long as she is eating, drinking and use her litter box those are all good signs.

I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. do keep us updated on her!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Get a second opinion from another vet. This is not a normal anesthesia recovery. It could have been negligence, some freak accident, or God knows what else. Medical errors happen and so do complications from correctly-done surgeries.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not in the veterinary field, but I suppose it could be residual effects of anesthesia. Generally, with a stroke, there are often balance issues which she doesn't seem to be having. It's only been 5 days, and she is okay most of the time. I would monitor her for another few days and if the odd nighttime behavior continues I would seek council maybe from a different vet.

I am sorry you are going through this, I know you are scared. For what it's worth, I had a stray once who I suspect had a stroke. One day she was fine, the next day she could only walk in circles. This doesn't sound like your baby. Not saying it isn't possible, just that I wouldn't make the assumption at this point.

:alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I'm trying to keep my vet with news. It's almost a whole day since any episode, but she still looks a little lethargic. I will get in touch with him if this happens again, he definitely seems to be trying his best.
I found an article ar Ask the Cat Doctor a little reassuring, there is few info on this matter and I will try my best to report anything so it might help anyone else who could be in a similar situation.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope she doesn't have another episode like this. Pooping and peeing normally is a good sign. Just give it a few more days. If she hasn't had it for a day, hopefully it was some complication not even the vet can explain. They don't know everything you know. And I have recently realized that sometimes they have to experiment because they have patients who cannot talk to let them know how they feel exactly. I am crossing my fingers that it is all over now and your kitty is just fine.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she had a better day! It definitely sounds more like lethargy. All I know is after I have had a surgery, I can sometimes feel the residual effects for days (brain fog, fatigue, etc.). So it makes sense that a little kitty might, too. :sleep2:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think there is no pattern about the after anesthesia effects. Not all organisms are the same also for people. I hope she is back to her old self very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been around 3 days since the last episode, a week since the actual dental procedure. I would say she's about... 80% recovered?

She's running, jumping and eating well. Only weird things: she's sleeping a little deeper than usual, drinking LOTS of water and missed the litter box a little, meaning she peed while inside the box but most was on the floor. She has 2 litter boxes and the incident happend on the same one, nothing with the other (that has a higher rim) so maybe just a weird coincidence.

I have the theory that she sleeps deeper and drinks more water 'cause the sore canine and molar hurt all the time, but this is just a random theory I can think of.

She's more focused now as well. Thank you all for your concern and your good thoughts.

I also have been giving her some vitamin B drops the vet thought might help, mixed with her tuna 'cause she doesn't really like chicken and any other wet food.

Hope this will help someone in a similar situation! Hugs for all :)