Could the smell of ethyl alcohol in hand sanitizer make cat sick?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it make them vomit?
What about the smell of scented trash bags (I found the chemical scent to be too strong, so I thought it may induce vomit for a cat)?
What about the smell of smoke from burning fish (for example cooked in the oven)?

Can all these things make cat vomit?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They might. Is your kitty having troubles, or are you trying to avoid possible situations?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying to figure out why she throws up pretty frequently recently.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Frequent vomiting could indicate a health issue. What does the vomit look like? Undigested food? Partially digested food? Clumps of hair? Just liquid? Does the vomiting happen at any specific time like shortly after eating?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ethyl alcohol is deadly to cats, I'm sure the smell could possibly induce vomiting. Make sure it has dissipated from your hands before handling your cat, or try just washing with soap and water when home for a while to see if it helps. You might try some furball treats to see if that helps or examine the food you have been getting to make sure it hasn't changed ingredients. Most vomiting is food-related or hairballs.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about when the dish washing machine is running, the smell of dish detergent fills the kitchen and the living room? Is that bad for the cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about when the dish washing machine is running, the smell of dish detergent fills the kitchen and the living room? Is that bad for the cat?
hmmm. Probably not good if your cat is in the area all the time, and maybe not good for you either.

Can you talk with your vet about the vomiting?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talking to vet is hard with the corona.
It just threw up again, and the only smell in the air that could have caused it is brewing of coffee.
Could the smell of coffee brewing cause a cat to throw up?
I don't drink coffee, but a family member does.
I wish I could just persuade them to not drink coffee, but for now I guess all I can do is tell him to open the doors for fresh air whenever brewing coffee.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it’s unlikely that smells like coffee or dish soap are making your cat sick. There are many other reasons that could cause cats to vomit that aren’t environmental, like IBD or food allergies.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What might be a good way to heal the cat's stomach?
What could it be allergic to?
What we are feeding is "Muse in gravy, Natural Tuna & Shrimp Recipe," and Feline Greenies, and "Blue Wilderness with Salmon"

Could the Tuna have mercury which could cause this?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you should take your cat to the vet if she’s vomiting frequently! It’s good to have a medical exam to get things like this checked out.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask if your vet will let you use zoom or skype? Many vets will pick up your pet at the car and take them in and allow you to communicate and see what's going on with skype or zoom, both are free and can be installed on your phone.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She really needs a vet visit. Vomiting can be caused by something as benign as eating trash to something as serious as acute renal failure or a rotten tooth. This isn't something you can diagnose on your own.

Ask your vet about zoom or skype so you can talk over the phone during the appointment.