Could my rescue cat be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0525.JPG Thanks for all your advice guys! She is starting to get big!

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0668.JPG So if I am going by her last heat, my girl is around 44 days pregnant. Im not feeling kittens moving though, but to be honest I have no idea what I am feeling for. I feel lumps that could be kitten heads? But not really any movement.. hard to feel for longer than 5 mins as momma will get up and leave :/ I have set up a nesting box, she sleeps in it sometimes and lately she has been crawling into closets and drawers... not sure if that's "nesting". Also I do have some questions. I've read that I need to weigh the kittens and supplement if nessecary.. but I also have heard not to touch them? Am I supposed to wear gloves? How soon do i weigh them? Im getting very excited about the kittens!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can pick them up long enough to weigh them then put them back with mom, it only takes a few seconds! Just make sure your hands are clean- you don't necessarily need gloves! I usually weigh once they are no longer nursing- when mom steps out of the nest to eat/drink! Once you feel the kittens move the first time you will know it! It is pretty distinctive! Some cats don't nest until the day they give birth!

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No its not! Just a fancy collar :) and thank you for that advice! Will do!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good! Make sure you take it off before she has the babies, though. They can get tangled in a collar.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh ok I had no idea thanks for letting me know

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma is hiding in a closet in one of our rooms (we set up her nesting box in our room but thinking its too loud/small in ours with TV on etc) hoping she doesn't have her babies in there!

Another question I have: how will her daughter be with the kittens? do i need to seperate them? Could this also be why she is choosing to sleep in a different room?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You don't need to separate them unless mama indicates that her older kitten is a problem.

However, the older kitten does not need to bully newborns off the nipples, so you'll need to watch her.

It sounds like mom is seeking peace and quiet and privacy for her naps! :)

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im still not able to feel any kitten movement, she should be about 6.5 weeks pregnant. When should I be concerned if I feel no movement? She doesn't look like shes gotten any bigger in the past week..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You really won't see or feel movement until the last 2-3 weeks, so it should be apparent soon!

You'll also be surprised how much bigger she will get before the end of her pregnancy!

Is she eating well?

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not much more than she usually eats, I try to mix her dry food with a bit of wet food every second day. She's kind of leery of humans, doesn't usually eat in front of us. We have her food in a seperate, quiet room. I'll start paying more attention to how much she is eating. A friend came by though and said she doesn't even look pregnant aside from the hair loss around her nipples.. She is a smaller cat maybe that's why? Very lanky and was super skinny and boney when we first adopted her..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you able to give her wet food 2-3 times every day in addition to her dry food?

That might help her to put on weight.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was giving it to her twice daily but someone told me that wet food is really bad for them so I cut back! Ok good to know, can definitely do that :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! Wet food is BEST for them. Better than dry. Please put it back in her diet!

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is really good to know!! i gave her some last night and she finished it all.. this morning she picked at it but didn't eat all of it. Give about half a can to her and her kitten each time (portioning more for mum)

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was having a hard time distinguishing kitten movements as she is always twitching.. she does it frequently and I just googled it.. apparently its not normal for cats to twitch? Like her whole back twitches.. noticed it today while she was eating. Is it maybe a pregnancy thing? Or does she need immidieate vet attention??

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a rippling? Could be kitten movement, or a contraction. I don't think it is uncommon for them to "twitch" I guess it would depend on how severe/frequent it is? Could you get a video?

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can try get a video.. its in her back I notice it, sort of like a rippling. I've watched videos of contractions and its definitely not a contraction. Its also just along her back. She is a strange cat. Difficult to get her to play, when we pet her she gets up and walks away.. no aggression though has never scratched or even play bitten me. Never purred either.. we've also had issues with innapropriate urination on our bed but she has gotten better, only does it maybe once a month now.. how concerned should I be? Ive been trying to hold off on vet appt. for her until I can afford a full blood panel, urinalysis etc. Which i have heard is very pricey. Just graduated college and looking for a job so not in the greatest financial position! But very concerned could possibly try asking my parents to lend me money until I have a job. Thank you guys.. I thought this was normal as she has done this for awhile..