Could my female cat be pregnant

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have other reasons for suspecting that she is pregnant? In general, if she is not spayed and has been outside, there is a good chance that she is. If you are aware of male cats who are around, there is an even better chance.

As for your picture, I can see more enlarged and colored, and also some hairlessness around the area, but that is only my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leeelee3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have other reasons for suspecting that she is pregnant? In general, if she is not spayed and has been outside, there is a good chance that she is. If you are aware of male cats who are around, there is an even better chance.

As for your picture, I can see more enlarged and colored, and also some hairlessness around the area, but that is only my opinion.
Yes we have a male cat in the house with her she is eating alot more and hiding more too she is also getting wider looking on the outside of her. What is the hairlessness mean?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A cat who is pregnant might appear to have less fur directly around the nipples; usually a cat's nipples are not that easy to find in a cat who is not pregnant. But this is just me looking at your picture.

I think it sounds as if she is pregnant. Do you have a time frame when you think this might have happened so that you can estimate when the kittens may be born?

Leeelee3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate it ! We think this happened in February so about possibly 3-4 weeks ago if not a little longer. Honestly I do not know much about the time frame on pregnant cats

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat pregnancies are about 65 days. She may be around halfway through.

Kitten Lady

This is a well known site with a great deal of information about mother cats and kitten care. You can get a lot of help here, too.

If she goes outside, give some thought to how you are going to let her have the kittens in your house and keep them there for a few weeks. She may be an indoor cat, but tracking down a mother cat and newborn kittens is very difficult, not to mention dangerous for all of them if they are outside.

Leeelee3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome thank you for the information. Yes she had always been an indoor cat and will remain indoors 😊 i appreciate the help and information

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Big step forward if you keep her indoors as this will all be much easier to manage when the kittens come.

Leeelee3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I totally agree she will stay indoors I would be nervous to let her out she has never seen the outside world !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you intend to breed your cat with your male? How old is your female? If her sides are beginning to “show,” then she is likely in her fifth week.

You should go ahead and neuter your male cat now, because he can impregnate your female again shortly after birthing kittens. If you do not neuter him, he will need to be kept 100% away from her until she is spayed about 8 weeks after the kittens are born.

Here are TCS links for you:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? - TheCatSite

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - TheCatSite

Please keep us updated!

Leeelee3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not intend to breed. Yes I’m thinking from her swollen and pinkish nipples she is about 3-5 weeks along . My female cat is 1 year and 2 months and my male is 11 months I will definitely look into having him neutered ! Thank you for the links I really appreciate it😊