Could my cats live in a shed and be happy?

ophelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here and I wasn't sure where else to post this. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my idea.

I had to move in with my dad recently, I used to live with my mom. My cats live with my mom currently. I cannot move back in with my mom for many reasons. My dad is allergic to cats so we can't have them in the house here. I don't trust my mom to take care of them properly and I see them everyday to make sure they're ok. She may be facing eviction so I either have to find new homes for my cats or find a way to keep them here. I love them so much and I don't want to give them away. But I want them to be happy more than anything, so I'm wondering if you guys think they could be happy with this arrangement...

I was thinking about getting a custom made shed for them. It would be 10 x 10 (biggest allowed without a permit) and then I would build an outdoor enclosure for them to play outside in like this: http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-howtokeep.jpg

The barn would have lots of big windows as well as a skylight in the roof so it is very sunny in there. It would have cat shelves to maximize the space as well as a loft at the top. This is the one I was thinking I would get: http://shedinaday.com/barn.html

I live in southern Ontario, Canada and 2-3 months of the year are pretty cold. So I would have the shed insulated and if possible I will get solar panels installed for heat, but I'm not sure if that is viable. I could also get one of those indoor safe gas heaters and those feral cat discs that keep their warmth for 8 hours when microwaved, etc. I would bring my laptop in there and hang out with them for hours, so I'd know if it's too cold. I'd love to even sleep in there with them some nights.

Has anyone ever done anything this or have any suggestions or input? Do you think they would be happy?

Thank you so much!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
welcome to TCS, opelia

You don't say how many cats you have or their ages? 

It is difficult to find good homes for cats generally, and especially if they are older.  If there is some way you can do all this, I think it would be a good option, combined with your visiting and being with them whenever you can.  Keep in mind that if your father's allergy is extreme, you will be bringing cat hair into the house.

Will your father help with this?  It all looks pretty expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ophelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! :)

I have 6 cats. They range from 5 to 1. I know that's a lot of cats. We took in a stray cat who had kittens, and I did find some homes but I'm very selective about who. I know 10 x 10 is a small area for 6 cats, but that's why there will be a loft, and lots of shelves, and a big outdoor enclosure for them which I hope is enough. That's a good point about bringing cat hair in the house. Maybe I should have clothes I change in to to see them. I have saved up $2500 which I think would cover it...it's a real lot but if my kitties will be happy then it's worth it. I worry about them so much so it would help me a lot to know that they are ok. Thanks for your response!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are able to do this, and this is the only way to keep your cats, then yes, I say go for it. Cats in shelters learn to live in much smaller areas then that and being with you is certainly better then being placed in a shelter. Vertical space also increases for them the actual size of the space, as will adding an outdoor enclosure. You could also continue to still look for homes, but in the meantime they are still with you.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
 I think it's wonderful that you care so much about your cats.  I'm thinking you're pretty young and $2500 is not so easy to come by.  To spend it on your felines is a true gesture of love.

Maybe your father could become desensitised to cats.  Then they would have a home with you and their own place as well.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah for you, Ophelia, first for taking in the stray, second for being selective about their homes, and third for caring so much you're willing to make this wonderful new home for them! It is small, but with the loft and lots of vertical spaces and shelves in addition to the outdoor area I really think that they'll be fine. More than fine, really. They'll be safe and have you! Perhaps you could build some small, well-insulated cat houses to put inside the shed for the winter months. The K&H outdoor heating pads do a pretty good job of warming up small cat houses. That is a good idea about changing clothes before going into the house after visiting the cats to help keep your dad's exposure to a minimum.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is an excellent idea!  Good for you for being responsible about your kitties.  Some people in your position would not step up like this.  Between the shelves, loft and outside area, I think the cats will be fine.  You might want to put aside an area outside where they can potty when the weather is decent.  It will help keep the inside litter boxes fresher.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, kudos to you for being so committed and trying to come up with a solution in a really difficult situation.

Would your dad be willing to help you build it, provided the cats aren't there while he's doing so? I'm worried about what you say about your mother's situation, as you seem to be, so the faster you can do this, the better. Any other friends with some handy knowledge who could help? Maybe even ask if the local shelter knows anyone?

Are they spayed and neutered now? Gotta make sure you don't wind up with more. If not, look around for low cost/free neutering services.

I think your plan sounds pretty good. Like others said, the addition of vertical space will help a lot. I think they could definitely be happy. They'd have each other, and you.

Still, you may be able to find homes for a couple of them, and that might be a good idea as well just to help bring down the costs going forward and also to provide the most space for the kitties remaining with you. It sounds like you're young (a minor?) and as they get old, costs and time both go up. I went through elderly and palliative care with my childhood cat in my early 20's, and I did it, but it was tough. So you have to think about the future too, since your mother can't be trusted with them, and your father is allergic.

The change of clothes idea should be ok I think. Even if his allergies are severe, I don't think he would have issues with it if you're changing out and washing your hands before you come back inside.

Best of luck to you, truly, and thanks for loving these kitties so much.

Last edited:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A woman who posts as LDG needs to weigh in here...she has 8 cats in a mobile home (or trailer, can't remember) so she'd be a good one to bounce ideas off of.  Maybe you should PM her?

IMHO - that's the best idea I think anyone could come up with given your situation.  And...if the structure holds up...later on you can open up a cat boarding business.

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gotta say - good for you! I know how hard it is to come up with creative solutions in a pinch. I think they could definitely be very happy. As someone else said - they'll have each other, and they'll have you. I would think they'd be happier in that situation than in a shelter. The biggest thing to watch out for, of course, will be proper heating.

I'm assuming you're a minor? This could very likely be a temporary solution anyway, as I'm sure you'll be moving out on your own at some point. Until then, this'll keep 'em safe!

kbronson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ophelia!
I was googling ways to house my indoor cats outside and came across your post.
Did you create the outdoor home for your cats? If so, how is it working out.
Kerri

norman4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I see you have 6 cats- I have 5. So I think I have a pretty good idea of your situation, I currently live in a 14 foot vintage trailer with my 5 cats, 2 bigs dogs and fiance. Talk about a small space! Anyway, everyone here is happy and I certainly dont think a small space is a bad thing especially if its a well thought out small space. It sounds like you have a good idea of your cats needs and are willing to brainstorm some ideas so they are happy and comfortable. I think your idea sounds great, especially with the out door play yard that would be fully enclosed. I like the idea of a heater, but unfortunately solar panels probably wont be enough to power a heater. I mean it is possible but you would need a lot of solar panels. You could power light this way however, and if that is something your interested in just let me know because I can tell you how to do it with a harbor freight solar kit and a deep cylinder battery. If you are looking for a heating option you have a few; run an extension cord out to the shed to run a fan in the summer and a heater in the winter. Or, buy a propane (indoor safe, small space specific) propane heater with an adapter for a 5 gallon container and use that. you would have to go with one that has a trip plate (safety feature-if it gets knocked over, it will turn off) and get a carbon monoxide detector you can hear in your house and a smoke alarm. If you decide to do the propane heater, do your research. Mr. Buddy or Mr. Heater (one of the two) is a brand that is decent and is used in small spaces. Expect to pay about 100 bucks for the propane set up, plus the cost of propane. Insulation will make all the difference. Reflectix is a type of insulation that is amazing over windows and under beds. Pretty cheap too. Styrofome is also great. Let us know how things go for you, I hope everything works out great! It can be difficult caring for multiple cats but its also very rewarding.