Could my cat be pregnant

LyndseyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cats last heat was the second to last week of January... A week after I was pretty sure she ended up getting pyometra which I took her to the vets and the did a quick examination and also felt she had the early stages of it so we treated her. Mouse my cat has not gone into heat since then she has been acting fine happy healthy playful... She has tried to do weird nesting though and has been very needy the last few days.... A penny for your thoughts?

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. She is probably pregnant. Cats can get pregnant as early as 4 months old, and they are quite good at it. You can discuss with your vet what your next steps will be in regards to her health, possible litters, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LyndseyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just think it's weird she hasn't been in heat since mid January and had pymetra after... And she really isn't showing ya know... Wouldn't she be due any day now?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

If she lives with an intact male, she likely won't show any outward signs of being in heat before he notices and mates with her, and the mating process brings them out of heat. So you wouldn't notice any heat signs. She could have gotten pregnant at any point, no way to know when her due date might be. But, yeah, unless there's something wrong with her lady bits, she's pregnant. Cats are extremely fertile.

Usually the treatment for pyometra is immediate spaying. What kind of treatment did your vet do?

Any plans for spay/neuter? Cats can get pregnant again right away after giving birth, and males can remain fertile for a few weeks after neutering, so it would be best to neuter the male now if you don't want hundreds of kitties :eek2: .

LyndseyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was given antibiotics

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll want to spay her 8 weeks after the kittens are born. Pyometra is only cured by spaying. How did they diagnose the pyometra?

LyndseyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I caught it really earlier they felt her abdomen and it was slightly inflamed and she has a slight temp. They told me owners don't usually catch it that early... She also had discharge coming from her lady bits.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Antibiotics bring pyometra under control, but it can come back. Your safest bet is to spay her after the kittens wean. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? Bruce can be scheduled for now, and mom for two months after she delivers.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A female cat can actually get pregnant as soon as they give birth to their kittens. We have two mom cats with kittens in care, one had newborn kittens and a 10 week old kitten, another had a few 12 week old kittens and 8 one day old kittens. Literally you could have 3 litters one after the other, and the kittens the females can start breeding at 4 months old, and males at 6 months old and siblings/parents will breed together. Is there a reason they aren't fixed? Are you a breeder?