Could my cat be an Egyptian Mau mix?

kushkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve only just recently discovered the breed, but I’ve noticed a few characteristics in my cat. She’s got a long, slender body and those skin flaps on the hind legs common with the breed. Two of her kittens also have a spotted and striped coat pattern and only have color at the tips of their fur just like her.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome!!

I can't help with your question although there are others on the site who will see your post soon, but I wanted to say that she's lovely :heartshape:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Without a known pedigree she's considered a Domestic Shorthair. Assuming the first and last pictures are her, her color/pattern is brown mackerel tabby, which is actually one of the most common patterns in the cat world. Purebred/pedigreed cats make up less than 5% of all cats, and the Egyptian Mau is a very small part of that 5%. Unless you live in Egypt, where the breed was developed, it's unlikely that your cat has any Egyptian Mau in her.

It appears you've posted pictures of 2 or 3 cats. Could you identify them for us? What is your kitty's name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kushkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Without a known pedigree she's considered a Domestic Shorthair. Assuming the first and last pictures are her, her color/pattern is brown mackerel tabby, which is actually one of the most common patterns in the cat world. Purebred/pedigreed cats make up less than 5% of all cats, and the Egyptian Mau is a very small part of that 5%. Unless you live in Egypt, where the breed was developed, it's unlikely that your cat has any Egyptian Mau in her.

It appears you've posted pictures of 2 or 3 cats. Could you identify them for us? What is your kitty's name?
we are not in egypt but we live close in a neighboring country. mama cats name is sasha and her two sons pictured are muhammad and ali. we actually got her from a man in the neighborhood when his cat had kittens. if i remember correctly she was greyish brown and looked more spotted than my sasha, but that was many years ago. definitely do not think she is purebred though. i will also add pictures of the roots of their hair to show you. i apologize if that is common as I’ve never owned a cat with coats quite like theres

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
we are not in egypt but we live close in a neighboring country. mama cats name is sasha and her two sons pictured are muhammad and ali. we actually got her from a man in the neighborhood when his cat had kittens. if i remember correctly she was greyish brown and looked more spotted than my sasha, but that was many years ago. definitely do not think she is purebred though. i will also add pictures of the roots of their hair to show you. i apologize if that is common as I’ve never owned a cat with coats quite like theres
You are welcome to have photos of their whole body and head; with the sides as most important...

In Egypt, egyptian mau live also as their street cats, so nothing is impossible...

Although I confess, Im a little surprised you, living in an islamic country, call your cats for Mohammed and Ali... But its perhaps common there?

The King of Sweden, whom had an labrador named Ali, he got protests, and got to rename the dog, he become Charlie instead...

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat's fur is normal, that's what a tabby typically looks like (the second fur photo), and she has a broken mackerel pattern, not spotted. The kitten (I presume? First fur photo) looks to be a smoke, which is less common but not unusual. It's not indicative of Egyptian Maus though and I don't see anything that looks particularly like an Egyptian Mau in any of them.