Could L-lysine cause soft stool?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give Simon roughly a tsp of l-lysine paste in the morning with his miralax and Proviable-DC, then another at night. After getting regular, his stools remained somewhat soft (formed a shape, but not hard) but the vet was okay with it, so I didn’t worry too much. Last week was his spell of throwing up every day, which we deduced to be caused by a combination of stress and fur balls from shedding. He hasn’t thrown up in 3-4 days now, and is acting himself with the new exception of his stool.

They have been softer than normal the last few days - a couple BM’s were borderline diarrhea, so I cut out the Miralax, thinking that maybe he was drinking more water or something and just didn’t need the extra help. The little bit of poo I found in the box this morning was again forming a shape but softer, but the poo I found in the box just now was darker (definitely not black, but not the light brown/tan that his last few have been either) and had hair in it.

The hair I’m not so worried about, but could it be the lysine paste softening his stools too much? I’ll obviously get him to the vet if it gets worse, but I’d like to save us all an expensive vet visit if it’s just as simple as cutting down to one dose of the l-lysine per day.

I feel like it’s one thing after another lately 😩

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the paste just lysine or is there something else in it? I don't think lysine on its own would cause it.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dkb817.
I've never had lysine cause any soft stool. I only use it when I see Herpes flareups, and then I'm using high doses immediately and for a few days. I suspect that, if it were to affect the stool, I'd certainly be seeing it.

Now, I use Miralax as well and, for one of mine, there will be occasional differences in his stool, even though the dosing will not have changed. When his stool 'loosens' up, I cut back on the Miralax until it's back to normal.

You mentioned hairballs.........do you know about using egg yolk/egg yolk lecithin for those (well, against them :lol:) ? Have a look at this.

.....just understand that egg yolk will add in a stool softening factor of its own, so you should start with only a pinch, increasing slowly and with close monitoring.

Hope something there helps.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1 teaspoon is a lot of lysine unless you are giving a lower dose. We give 1/4t twice a day and that's the equivalent of 1000mg, which is the dose for a flare up. Maintenance dose is 500mg a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A Azazel - its the Viralys L-lysine paste.

white shadow white shadow - that’s the case with Simon too, very much an “adjust the dose as needed” kind of thing with the Miralax. It seems to work well and after dealing with my last Megacolon kitty, the vet trusts my judgement to increase or decrease the amount, as needed. I hadn’t heard of the egg thing, but with his various supplements and such, I’m hesitant to add anything else.

stephanietx stephanietx - I’ll be honest in that I have no idea how many MG it is as it is a gel paste that comes from a tube and not a powder (which would probably be easier to measure tbh).

I was just really hoping to avoid a vet visit before he’s due for vaccinations In late October to early November (lucky us, the county we live in has a mandatory rabies vaccine policy, despite the fact that Simon never leaves my room, let alone the house - as well as the fact that the person who drives us to and from just had knee replacement surgery and can’t drive for MINIMUM two more weeks), but with the sudden increase of stress-behaviors and now this? It’s looking like we might have to change plans in the next couple of weeks.

2020 can chill out at any time.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Did a quick google search and it has a bunch of other ingredients in it. The reason why you have to give so much is probably because there is less lysine in each teaspoon than a pure product. Why not just give pure lysine powder?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My state requires a rabies vaccine, but because my cats have other health issues, they don't get the rabies shot. My vet is actually the one who recommended they not get them. We don't foster, travel with them, and they don't go outside. Talk to your vet regarding your concerns for vaccinations. See if the vet will do a titer test to check for antibodies.

We gave our Hannah the gel for a little bit, but switched to the powder because it was less messy, could be purchased in bulk, cost less, and can be mixed into wet food.