Could kitty be pregnant?

lanjcox91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! So about six months ago, a stray wandered up to our house. She kind of adopted us as her people. We have 3 other cats, and she has been an indoor/outdoor kitty as of when Winter started. We had her taken to get her shots and to clear up a little tail infection she had. She had not gone into heat during any of this time, so we figured she must have been fixed. (She appears to have had one litter before.) The vet we took her to was basically on the fence about it, said that he couldn't really tell. (He's apparently not that great. Won't be seeing him again.)

Anyway, she has appeared to go into a mini-heat, or something. She's been caterwauling occasionally, nothing too vocal but she's been licking her hindquarters a lot. She's been going in and out before we really noticed this happening. And then the toms came! There are two in the neighborhood that she's had a fancy for. She goes out to sit with them often, even if she doesn't have any plans to have any fun with them. They have been showing up day and night to call for her, but today they do not seem to be around. It's been pretty quiet. Kitty has been too, but she is still licking herself to keep things clean. She is still a pretty promiscuous one, always wanting to go hang out with the boys. Reminds me of my late grandmother, lol.

Seeing that she definitely isn't fixed, we will likely be signing her up for the low-cost spay and neuter program that comes around a couple times a year. But is it possible they got her pregnant? I'm thinking she may be.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say for sure, but it's quite likely considering the situation. That said, spays in early stages of pregnancy are perfectly safe, so you should be able to get her spayed if the program people are coming around in the near future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanjcox91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the closest booking they have is for tomorrow, but all the slots have been filled and we have a home inspection booked as well. They'll be back around on the 18th, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it at that point. I will have to check for future booking dates. If worse comes to worst, we can contact our local vet for an appointment when my brother gets paid next within the week or so. Thank you for your input.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep her inside in the mean time. Do not let her back out!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 18th is only 10 days away. . .if you can get a slot I'd recommend that. A regular vet probably won't have any openings before that anyway. Pregnancy is generally considered a non-issue if they're in the first 3 weeks.