could it be diabetes?

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my male tabby is around 2 years old and weighs around 4.7kg. the problem is that his weight is mostly due to his height and length (he's quite long everywhere, like a bengal). so he's not fat by any means, and actually seems a bit too thin. his hip bones protrude a lot when he's sitting on his stomach, which i find worrying because it wasn't that bad last year. i started considering the possibility of diabetes.. because he's been showing all the signs. lethargy, inreased appetite without gaining weight then just vomiting everything, drinking ALOT of water (almost every hour of the day). he just ticks all the boxes.

the problem is that i havent seen a cat diagnosed with diabetes unless theyre large/overweight, but my cat has never weighed more than the normal amount. so i wonder if it's something else?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no way we can diagnose your little guy via the internet even IF we were Vets. For diabetes, he would need blood work done. Actually for most things that it might be, he would need blood work done. It could be his thyroid too, or even somethng else. I suggest you get him in to see a Vet as soon as possible to figure out what is wrong :alright:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excessive drinking could also be a sign of an upset stomach. I wouldn't necessarily go straight to a diabetes diagnosis. Your best bet is to get him to the vet for a thorough check up and bloodwork before freaking out too much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think testing for certain conditions by the vet is your best bet, as suggested above. But, I did want to tell you my neighbor has a cat that has had diabetes for years (on daily shots) and he was never fat to begin with. So, it is possible.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You cannot guess at diabetes, or many other cat ailments for that matter, and you need to see the vet. I have had two diabetic cats; one was normal sized, even on the thin side, and the other one was seriously obese. Both were treated with insulin and lived for several years after the diagnosis. The thin one never gained weight and the big one never lost it, oddly enough.