Could I Lose My Cat?

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
I have a cat that was owned by my friend and her bf. Ater, they separated she kept the cat. My friend and I were roommates for a short while then upon leaving I took possession of the cat as we both agreed she'd be better cared for by me. The issue is, I want to get her chipped and take her to the vet but she was chipped by the bf and I am afraid that he will try to take the cat away if he finds out that I have her. What can I do? I love my cat and I am the only good home she has had.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if the microchip is registered in the BF's name? If it's not, then you can have the vet put in another microchip and register it ASAP with your name and contact information. If the microchip is already registered in the BF's name, you should be able to call the microchip company and tell them that you adopted the cat from the BF and need to change all the contact info into your name.

I would also suggest that you call the vet office the BF took the cat to and request all the cat's medical records sent to the vet of your choice. Just say the BF was no longer able to care for the cat and left the cat with the ex-GF who then gave the cat to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know if the microchip is registered in the BF's name? If it's not, then you can have the vet put in another microchip and register it ASAP with your name and contact information. If the microchip is already registered in the BF's name, you should be able to call the microchip company and tell them that you adopted the cat from the BF and need to change all the contact info into your name.

I would also suggest that you call the vet office the BF took the cat to and request all the cat's medical records sent to the vet of your choice. Just say the BF was no longer able to care for the cat and left the cat with the ex-GF who then gave the cat to you.
I don't have any info about the original adoption or if the b registered the chip or what vet he took Penny to before I met her. Should I get the chip read so I can get the name of the microchip company? The issue is I am wary about contacting this guy. He's a violent alcoholic and he might respond by trying to physically or legally fight me. He never took care of the cat though. He just drank all day and she never had a toy or scratch post and had really bad food that made her constipated and was always lethargic and stressed. She can't go back to him.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get the chip read but chances are someone's name is attached. My vet knows my name, P#, address, etc and took care of doing it for me. When I got my cat Zoe from the Humane Society they got all my information to background check me and told me they took care of setting the chip registration to me.

I would not put a second chip in. You can take it to a vet and get them to read the chip and look it up.

As for the guy if it is registered to him, do you know a middle person that gets along with him? Maybe you could offer money for his time to help you change the registration. If he is an alcoholic that drinks all day I can only assume he would like to get his hands on a bit of money. I know it is kind of bad to tell you to take advantage of his weakness but it reads like the cat should not go back to him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
I have a cat that was owned by my friend and her bf. Ater, they separated she kept the cat. My friend and I were roommates for a short while then upon leaving I took possession of the cat as we both agreed she'd be better cared for by me. The issue is, I want to get her chipped and take her to the vet but she was chipped by the bf and I am afraid that he will try to take the cat away if he finds out that I have her. What can I do? I love my cat and I am the only good home she has had.
I don't know if it would do any good or not but is there a way a lawyer or someone could draw up a very quick, short contract stating that the old owner (the gf) gifted you full possession of the cat, with both your signatures?

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it would do any good or not but is there a way a lawyer or someone could draw up a very quick, short contract stating that the old owner (the gf) gifted you full possession of the cat, with both your signatures?
I'm thinking of trying this at a future time. At the moment I am compiling every receipt and bill from caring for her. I'll update here if it works out.

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying this at a future time. At the moment I am compiling every receipt and bill from caring for her. I'll update here if it works out.
Personally I don't think you need to do that.

Have you ever spoken to this guy? Does he ask about the cat, make noise about taking the cat, or know you even have the cat?

If not, take the cat to the vet and explain the cat was bequeathed to you by a former roommate (which is the truth), that you have no contact with the initial owner (you can even mention the former owner has a sketchy history with animals), and want the microchip registered to you. My guess is that unless he's reported the cat missing in the time you've had her the vet will be willing to give you instructions about re-registering the chip and make the cat officially yours. Animals get bounced around all the time so I'm sure they've heard weirder.

If I were you I wouldn't involve a lawyer or the former owner until something legal actually happens. Just adopt the cat quietly and if you don't make a big deal of it neither will anyone else.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, mekkababble mekkababble ! I haven't talked to the guy because he is definitely someone I try to avoid. I don't think that he reported the cat missing but I am not sure. I think I am going to go this route because it might work out fine and I don't want to unnecessarily make things complicated. I am still holding onto any proof showing that I have been caring for her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Your friend should be able to tell you which shelter or rescue the cat was originally adopted from. If they registered the cat, chances are they can update the info to reflect the change in ownership and address for you once you explain why you have the cat.

She may not be registered at all - we often get chipped dogs and cats at the shelter that were never registered.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! :heartshape: Congratulations - you have a cat, free and clear! :bouquet:

And do get that chip registered in your name; it gives you added protection, both from some attempt by the former bf to assert his ownership and from a possible lost cat.

Margret

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the bf never registered her chip - that means you are free and clear in keeping her and registering her as yours? It's a long time that has passed, how did you find out after all this time?
Yes she's mine! The bf did bring her up in court when my friend pressed charges but the judge didn't care and told him to go to small claims court. He never did, and my friend maintained that the cat ran away anyway.
When we were planning our trip out of the country this past summer, I needed to get my cat a passport and during that process the vet read her chip and saw that it was never registered to the former owner and now she's registered to me!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were planning our trip out of the country this past summer, I needed to get my cat a passport and during that process the vet read her chip and saw that it was never registered to the former owner and now she's registered to me!
:bunnydance::dance::jump::party3:

Margret