Could ***i*** Be Allergic To Cat's Food?

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but have a weird question...

I have NEVER been allergic to cats, ever. And I have had the same lovely fur babies their whole lives (9 & almost 10) with no issues until this last year or so. Now I am on zyrtec every morning and also now Xyzal every night before bed AND sometimes even Benadryl because I just can't take it, and still wake up for hours every night sneezing and blowing my nose. I go through sometimes 12 boxes of tissues a month BY MYSELF. and I'm the person who when I lived alone never even bought tissues unless I had guests staying because I hardly ever needed them unless I was sick.

So either I just have to admit that my body is betraying me and is allergic to the souls I love most in the world, and admit I have allergies (which I proudly have never had despite living in FL where it seems EVERYONE has them). But I am wondering... could I be allergic to something in their food? I can touch their food and I don't break out in a rash or anything. But my allergies are solely sneezing/congestion, etc. Is it possible that something in their current food (that they've been on for 12-18 mo.) has something in it that I am not compatible with, and when they clean themselves, it's then on their fur/dander and is causing problems for me?

They used to eat Blue a loooong time ago. And then were on Hill's r/d for years. But the kibbles were so big that Biscuit ate too slow and Jethro would eat her all her food unless we stood over them. A couple times we accidentally bought Metabolic and realized they actually liked it better and it was easier for her to eat faster so he wasn't eating all the food at each mealtime. So we asking the vet about it, and she switched the rx for us (and they actually lost more weight, go figure). That's what they've been on ever since.

I need to go to an allergist I guess. But just curious if anyone thinks this theory has any merit or am I simply grasping at straws like a moron in denial trying to convince myself the sky is actually green? :)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I mean, are you eating their food? Probably not.

Fall allergies are very common.
And developing seasonal allergies (or allergies to most anything) as an adult is also very common.

Definitely go to a doc (allergist) and get the real answer if that's an affordable option for you.

:)

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try changing to a less dusty litter. My cat sneezed every time she went to the box until I changed to Dr. Esley's Ultra. He makes another that is for cats with allergies. She rarely sneezes now. Other brands are also less dusty. Some claiming to be dust free are NOT. I only mention this because you've got to be around the litter.

Have you tried changing their food? Not to another name, but to something made by a different company?

Note Blue Buffalo was owned by Mars Corporation. In the spring of 2018 it was bought by General Mills. This means that they are probably using a different formula from when you last used it. This may affect your allergies if you are allergic to the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking it might be the litter too. What brand are you using? Have you changed litter recently?
We mostly use Tidy Cats or I think Scoop Away . And actually I have always used Tidy Cats 90% of the time, but I used to use a different colored one but it doesn't come in the big bucket, then I switched to the light blue one and now all we can find is the one with the red lid which is my least favorite...so yeah, that actually could be part of the problem, I never even thought about that. Except the litter box we have is in the room that I spend the LEAST amount of time in, basically except to clean the litter lol. Thank you so much for the tip, I will try switching out the litter to see if that helps! Glad to have a lead that isn't just straight up cat allergy. Ironically my partner was deathly allergic when we got together and now 7 years later she's fine and I feel like I'm suffocating 90% of the time :)

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We mostly use Tidy Cats or I think Scoop Away . And actually I have always used Tidy Cats 90% of the time, but I used to use a different colored one but it doesn't come in the big bucket, then I switched to the light blue one and now all we can find is the one with the red lid which is my least favorite...so yeah, that actually could be part of the problem, I never even thought about that. Except the litter box we have is in the room that I spend the LEAST amount of time in, basically except to clean the litter lol. Thank you so much for the tip, I will try switching out the litter to see if that helps! Glad to have a lead that isn't just straight up cat allergy. Ironically my partner was deathly allergic when we got together and now 7 years later she's fine and I feel like I'm suffocating 90% of the time :)
If switching out the litter doesn't help take a look at getting a hepa air filter, keep the cats out of your bedroom, and step up the cleaning game to see if that helps. Whenever I have visitors over with allergies I always do my best to "de-cat-taminate" my house. It makes a huge difference.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile -- I have to admit that my cleaning game has gone downhill massively. I average at least 60-70hrs/wk on a slow week, and with my oldest fur baby being in & out of the e-vet it's been hard to find the time or energy. But you're definitely right -- it needs to get done!!

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be more inclined to blame something environmental in your home rather than the cat food. Like dust, clogged HVAC air ducts, mold, etc. The change in cat litter can also be the culprit as others have mentioned. I know that even though I use the "low dust" litter from Dr. Elsey's, I find that I still have a microscopic layer of litter dust on everything within a radius of the litter box. If you are allergic to the litter dust, you may be inhaling it even outside the immediate area.

I have perpetual allergies as well. I don't know what it is I seem to be allergic to as I have never been tested, but I manage mine on a regimen of 2 meds and a nasal steroid every day. You mention the Zyrtec and Xyzal, which are good, but I might also recommend that you try a nasal steroid spray as well (I use Flonase, but that is just personal preference). Also a sinus rinse apparatus, like a Neti Pot, helps to clear out congestion.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm sorry you are suffering from allergies. It is possible to be allergic to something in your cat's food. I have a severe seafood allergy, it is so severe to the point that even smelling it makes me react terribly. Because of this, Pixie's food is seafood/fish free. For litter, I use Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief as Pixie has COPD. Anyhow, I encourage you to see an allergist asap to rule out what is causing your allergies. I also have seasonal and environmental allergies and have been tested. For me, it is nice to know my triggers. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon! :goodluck:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile -- I have to admit that my cleaning game has gone downhill massively. I average at least 60-70hrs/wk on a slow week, and with my oldest fur baby being in & out of the e-vet it's been hard to find the time or energy. But you're definitely right -- it needs to get done!!
It will be next to impossible to know for sure, but if the litter added some minor fragrance or agent to help clumping, etc, that wasn't in there before that might be what you're reacting to.
When it comes to cleaning it's easy to get overwhelmed and think you need to do everything in one day, toss the thought over your shoulder and stomp on it a few times and just take it as slow as you need to. Work top to bottom (don't wash and polish your floors and then move around dusty items, wash ceiling fans or anything that will gravitate downward.)
I only resent cleaning if there's a stupid short deadline (such as, I need to have 15 rooms clean, the truck cleaned out, and the barns spotless in the next 17 seconds), but if I have all the time in the world, it's quiet, enjoyable, and gives you a nice feeling of accomplishment.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm allergic to most scented cat litters, so we use unscented, easy to do since the best litter we've tried is dr elsey's. but you could absolutely be allergic to breathing something in the cats' food or to a flea preparation.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm allergic to most scented cat litters, so we use unscented, easy to do since the best litter we've tried is dr elsey's. but you could absolutely be allergic to breathing something in the cats' food or to a flea preparation.
I got a few food allergies myself, and when I handle pet food that contains these allergens I have to be very careful. Wife usually does this part of the job for me. :hugs:
I guess allergies that show up past childhood aren't uncommon in otherwise healthy adults, but I wouldn't go nuts just yet and would examine everything new in your house. New litter, new fabric softeners or detergents, new cleaning products, new scented air sprays, etc.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of Dr Elsey's before (or if I have, I've never paid attention). I was looking at their site, is there one that you guys prefer over others?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S sperry01 I use Dr. Elsey's R&R (Respiratory Relief). I prefer this particular litter due to Pixie's COPD (chronic pulmonary obstructive disease). It benefits me too because I'm allergic to dust and I'm also asthmatic. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from allergies and other respiratory issues for both cats and their humans. In the end though, it is up to you and your preferences. :)

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible to acquire new allergies as we age. I remember a time with my previous cat where I started getting very stuffy/runny nose and was sneezing nonstop (and I never get allergies or colds) so I was really confused thinking I'd have to endure a life of being allergic to cats because I will never not have a cat. :lol: Alas, that wasn't the case. I think it was just seasonal.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use this one
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter
it's quite low dust, very effective at keeping odors to a minimum, doesn't having baking soda in it (which can damage your hardwood floors and make you wheeze), and it clumps well.

btw, cat bedding material, cat shampoo, flea collars - one could be allergic to any one of them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people and animals are allergic to the 'sizing' they put in new carpets. It dissipates after a year or so, but can cause problems, particularly itching to those who are near it.