Could he have a mid-length coat?

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeti is almost 8 weeks old and I’m wondering if he may have a medium length coat? He doesn’t have really long hair on his ears or paw pads, but he has two different length hairs and overall it’s longer than our other kitten. I’m just wondering if he may have more of a medium length coat? Thank you in advance for any advice/opinions!
C9596948-A4B5-4A7C-A0E5-EB88D5921E2F.jpeg
E6059DAE-FF80-46BD-A69C-9D2D20EB7791.jpeg
F5FEF261-6F73-4F15-8E86-5C335AC417C1.jpeg
D47026A8-2280-427F-82CB-D5DA89EEF54C.png
35E3D2C6-5821-4F4B-94DC-8779DD63DF74.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say so, especially looking at that last picture. Not a long coat but medium. Even medium-length coat cats have longer hair growing between their pads on their feet (which he does) and I go by how bushy their tail is. His tail looks especially bushy bat the base. All kittens are fuzzy but I would bet he will stay bushier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say so, especially looking at that last picture. Not a long coat but medium. Even medium-length coat cats have longer hair growing between their pads on their feet (which he does) and I go by how bushy their tail is. His tail looks especially bushy bat the base. All kittens are fuzzy but I would bet he will stay bushier.
Thank you!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to tell when they’re this young, as coat changes significantly as kittens age. My guess would be that, more likely than not, this kitten will grow up to be shorthair (or at least closer to it that longhair), based on the lack of fuzz, and the tail.

Also depends on what you consider medium haired. Maine Coon are medium haired, and your kitten doesn’t look like it’s likely to get that fluffy haha :>

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired - there is no "medium hair" gene. Some people use the term "medium hair" to refer to longhaired cats that aren't as fluffy as other longhairs, but there is no genetic basis for this distinction.

For your kitten, my guess from your pictures is that he will be shorthaired as an adult cat, but that could change.

In color, he appears to be red point ("flame point") with white markings on his face and feet.

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired - there is no "medium hair" gene. Some people use the term "medium hair" to refer to longhaired cats that aren't as fluffy as other longhairs, but there is no genetic basis for this distinction.

For your kitten, my guess from your pictures is that he will be shorthaired as an adult cat, but that could change.

In color, he appears to be red point ("flame point") with white markings on his face and feet.
Thank you so much for this explanation. I expected him to be shorthaired, but just noticed his hair is longer than our other kitten.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say. Kittens go through a floofy stage, and I've had some that I thought would be longhaired end up shorthaired. So I'll also guess he'll be shorthaired, but there's a possibility of longhair. He's adorable! His red points will grow and get darker as he gets older.

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's hard to say. Kittens go through a floofy stage, and I've had some that I thought would be longhaired end up shorthaired. So I'll also guess he'll be shorthaired, but there's a possibility of longhair. He's adorable! His red points will grow and get darker as he gets older.
Thank you!

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! Honestly I’m kinda hoping he will be shorthaired but he is loved tremendously either way. 🥰