Could A Stray Cat Be A Danger To My New Kittens?

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

We will be getting two new kittens in late December. They will be approximately 13 1/2 weeks old at that point. We lost our two cats due to illness earlier this year within a month of each other (each had a different illness: one with heart disease and one with most likely IBD/lymphoma), so we are currently cat-less and are very much looking forward to welcoming some new kittens into our hearts.

We currently have 1 or 2 stray cats roaming around our neighborhood. One of them is an orange cat that may or may not be a stray - I only saw him one time about a month ago peeking into the window of our basement door. He took off as soon as I saw him and I haven't seen him since.

The second one I think is most definitely a stray. I started seeing her last fall lurking around our bird feeders. I thought she was our neighbor's cat since they had just gotten a new cat. I came to find out this year that she is not their cat. I only see her about 1-2 times per month and sometimes not for months at a time.

Then this summer, she shows up with 4 kittens in tow. The kittens only showed up in our yard once and then the very next day, I saw her with her kittens in another person's yard a whole block over from us and I never saw them again after that. I have tried to call to her and even tried to entice her with some treats from time to time, but she is very afraid and runs away any time I try to approach her.

She showed up on our patio again today for the first time in 2-3 months with no kittens. I didn't even know she was out there, but she ran off when I opened the door. Then I saw her a few minutes later spraying some of our bushes like she is marking territory. She walked off to another neighbor's yard and disappeared. Last year she looked a bit thin, but now she looks nice and healthy.

I'm a worry-wort by nature. Our new kittens will be indoor only cats. Should I be concerned about tracking in something the new kittens can catch from any strays that have sprayed around/on our patio, etc.? I'm not sure what I can do about it, in any case. Come to think of it, I have also seen an opossum on our patio as well - we live on the outskirts of town and get all sorts of critters in our back yard from time to time. We hose down and sweep our patio area a few times a year, but don't really scrub it down or anything.

We will be taking the new kittens to our vet a couple of days after we bring them home, but if I understand correctly, they won't get their final shots until they are 16 weeks old. Am I worrying over nothing or is it a real concern? If you have made it this far, thank you so much for reading my many ramblings.:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There is the possibility of fleas, since you could bring a flea in on your shoes or clothing.

Most of the other diseases typically require actual contact so the kittens would have to go outside. You could double-check with your vet about this.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There are things that can be tracked in - like panleukopenia (distemper), rhinotracheitis and calici viruses - so it's important for even indoor cats to get the full series of kitten shots. If you're worried, changing your shoes and washing your hands when you get home are good precautions.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it's technically possible to track diseases in, it's just not very likely. I wouldn't worry unless an obviously sick cat is hanging around very close to your house. Washing your hands when you come in is a good idea though. At least to cut down on your chances of getting the flu! :D

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would also be great if you could work with a rescue or shelter to spay and neuter your neighborhood cats. That would cut down on spraying and disease being spread, as well as overpopulation. A rescue or a shelter could lend you a humane trap to catch the kitties.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The neighborhood cat who looks “nice and healthy” may be pregnant. She may belong to someone nearby but not be spayed, in which case she will continue to mate and have kittens.

Trapping and fixing stray cats is the only way to control the population.