Coughing Cat and his Panicky Human

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Preface: I have anxiety and am prone to worrying, mostly over nothing but, I'm worried that if I don't worry, something bad will happen. Meds have mostly helped but it still is an issue.

I already contacted my vet and we're going to set up an appointment but I thought that I would post on here anyway. Dario has on and off fits of coughing, usually it only happens a couple times a month. I tried treating him with hairball stuff but I'm not certain that it has been working as the coughing is irregular. I started keeping a journal of it. This is the second time I've started as after the last one I documented it happened 3-4 weeks later and I'd misplaced my last record.

The Facts:
-It doesn't happen regularly after eating or exercising or vacuuming
-Fits only last a couple of seconds, 10 seconds at the most and that's a long estimate
-No discharge or shortness of breath afterwards
-No particular place around the house seems to trigger it, though it has never happened in the loft bedroom but we also don't spend much time up there.
-I use Okocat natural litter
-He is on a raw/wet food diet with some kibble to get him started when he gets bored of the flavor
-Very active cat, only pants after an intense play session
-Goes outside on a harness and has never done this outside, this is less frequent as he prefers to be inside
-Has Revolution monthly
-Indoor cat (strictly unless on a leash and harness)
-Was found outside 3-5 days old and hand raised by me with help from my vet and is approximately 7 months old now
-No scented items like air fresheners, candles or cleaning or scented chemicals
-House does get dusty from time to time but more frequent vacuuming has helped with this
-Previously tested negative on all tests
-Tried hairball meds for about a month and that didn't seem to change anything
-My house tends to be dry, I've been thinking about running my humidifier again

I'm thinking about getting a second HEPA air filter, I have one for my birds. Any thoughts? I would think that asthma would occur more frequently but after I made the mistake of googling and the idea that it could be related to a heart condition has me freaked out. I'm trying not to get panicky over this (as I am prone to doing) and instead trying to narrow it down. My vet knew he did this and it was why his neutering was delayed by a week but it's so infrequent that I've been trying some things for him first but I want to get this resolved.

I know no one is a vet on here and not looking for a prognosis, just some ideas and maybe some comfort? I'm trying not to panic and think of the worst possibility. The infrequency is what gets me. I'm trying to get a video of it but only have one that is about 6 seconds from February. Only my boyfriend and I have seen him do this, and in the month and a half he was living with me while his new room was prepared we saw him cough maybe three times.

I just want Dario to be okay.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could just be allergies. One of my cats has has asthma but latey has been wheezing due to the high pollen count. Nothing in particular triggers the wheezing. It just randomly happens. My vet is aware of the wheezing and doesn't feel allergy medicine is needed at this time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say possible hairball still, allergies, asthma or heart issues, or none of the them. One of my guys used to cough every time he drank from his water bowl. He just couldn't seem to figure out how to drink without coughing. Now that he's older he's finally gotten it down. But, like you, I immediately went to "heart issue". Turned out he apparently just was so "on the go" all the time he couldn't take the time to drink properly, the goof.

Hoping Dario gets a clean bill of health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - I’m glad that I’m not the only one who does that. I need to stay away from google sometimes, lol.
I spoke to the vet and she’s not too worried about it, my mom went there today to get dog food and I sent a video with her. I have an appointment in two weeks for Dario. He was neutered not long ago so he had a bunch of tests run then. She said that he is probably too young for a heart issue and if it was genetic they would have found something by now.
I’ll keep you all updated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like asthma with the coughing, especially if the cough sounds "wet". If possible, record a video of Dario during one of the coughing spells and show it to your vet. Antihistamines can help reduce the allergic triggers, but sometimes, especially during winter to spring and fall to winter, the episodes can increase. My guy used to get a steroid shot (prednisolone) to help, but now he gets prednisone pills and we only give them when he's had a flare up. You can read about feline asthma on the Fritz the Brave site. Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like asthma with the coughing, especially if the cough sounds "wet". If possible, record a video of Dario during one of the coughing spells and show it to your vet. Antihistamines can help reduce the allergic triggers, but sometimes, especially during winter to spring and fall to winter, the episodes can increase. My guy used to get a steroid shot (prednisolone) to help, but now he gets prednisone pills and we only give them when he's had a flare up. You can read about feline asthma on the Fritz the Brave site. Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001
Thank you, I appreciate the resource. I did record a video and sent it to my vet. They think it could be a respiratory infection or asthma, how hard is it to give them pills? I brush Dario's teeth and he's good about it. He was okay about the hairball remedy and slowly got better about taking it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can youtube all kinds of videos on how to give cats pills. Some folks says it's easy, others have difficulties, so it really depends on the cat (and the person). If you can brush his teeth, then I'm thinking you won't have issues.

There are different ways to give meds too. They come in pill form, liquid form, chews, and transdermal gel, which can be rubbed in their ear flap, etc. And you can often get meds compounded into flavors for those hard to dose cats. Oh, and even injectables. We used to give one of our cats her appetite stimulant via a transdermal get rub in her ear, and her antiacid vis a shot in her scruff. (not even the Vet Techs could pill that one :rolleyes2: - she was a fiesty little thing!)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hide pills in cheese for 3 of my cats. The 4th one has to be pilled, but he's pretty good when he's relaxed. You can also get compounded medications from specialized pharmacies.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
On the insistence of my vet, I had been putting some dry food on his wet food. I cut that out completely and so far, he hasn’t coughed at all, combining that with increasing the amount of raw food he gets it seems to have helped. I’m still going for the appointment but I just know my vet won’t be too pleased he’s not eating dry. I also don’t feed him Science Diet or Royal Canin like they want me to. I tried to talk to her several times about raw but my vet is adamantly opposed to it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's perfectly ok to disagree with the vet about food :agree: It's YOUR cat after all. If you don't want to feed junk, then that's your choice.

Here are pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Pill Pockets and other pill doughs work great.

If the vet prescribes inhaled medicine like Flovent, you'll need the AeroKat inhaler device to administer the medicine through.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly ok to disagree with the vet about food :agree: It's YOUR cat after all. If you don't want to feed junk, then that's your choice.

Here are pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Pill Pockets and other pill doughs work great.

If the vet prescribes inhaled medicine like Flovent, you'll need the AeroKat inhaler device to administer the medicine through.
Thank you! I really appreciate the info! I usually just don’t tell them what I’m doing to avoid the argument. I’m not good with confrontations. They’re great vets except about food.