Coughing after a long play

jane559

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a cat to cough after a long time of playing in the hot weather? It happens like twice a year.

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think so - that's something you should bring up with your vet. Coughing in any context is as far as I know a red flag.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heavy panting is normal after hard play, kind of like if you ran a few miles for exercise and have to stop to catch your breath before resuming again.

Coughing in general is not normal. If it happens infrequently it might not be much of a concern, maybe a tickle in the cat's throat that needs to be cleared. I'd have the vet check the cat out regardless. It would be a good idea to keep track of when your cat coughs and what the cat was doing at the time that might have triggered it. A video would be helpful if you can get one.

How long does the cat cough for? Can you minimize playing when it's too hot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jane559

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heavy panting is normal after hard play, kind of like if you ran a few miles for exercise and have to stop to catch your breath before resuming again.

Coughing in general is not normal. If it happens infrequently it might not be much of a concern, maybe a tickle in the cat's throat that needs to be cleared. I'd have the vet check the cat out regardless. It would be a good idea to keep track of when your cat coughs and what the cat was doing at the time that might have triggered it. A video would be helpful if you can get one.

How long does the cat cough for? Can you minimize playing when it's too hot?
She coughed around 5 times then stopped. I happened twice since I adopted her and each time was short, so I wasn't able to take a video. Yes, will definitely minimize playing when it is hot. Thanks for the suggestion.