Coughed After Liquid Meds?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Since my kitty came back from the ER having a feeding tube and all for a week (he came home a week ago) he has been a little weird taking water from a syringe. Usually he laps it up and swallows a lot but now he kind of lets it fall out of his mouth and swallow a little and kind of gulp weird. I gave him his liquid metronidazole a bit ago and he got really low after and quietly coughed. I held him upside down for a little shake and hit his back lightly and he was breathing kind of loud for a few minutes but is now acting fine. I think I'm on edge because his current health is stressing me out but please tell me this has happened to your cat before. I've been giving him meds 2 to 3 times a day pills and liquid for 2 years now almost

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely consult with your vet, but he could have some irritation and swelling. It may be harder for him to swallow for a little while. Try giving the medication and the water more slowly. Just a little bit at a time. Water/liquid should not be given more than 1cc at a time even in a perfectly healthy cat so I would make sure I'm giving a good bit less than that at a time. I would also try and follow up the liquid metronidazole with some water, again, slowly. The medicine may further irritate his throat so chasing it with a little water may help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is he today? If his breathing is normal now, he just had a little "go down the wrong way," as we all have had happen at some point or another. If he's breathing oddly, DO have him checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is he today? If his breathing is normal now, he just had a little "go down the wrong way," as we all have had happen at some point or another. If he's breathing oddly, DO have him checked.
Yeah I asked about his feeding tube they didnt think anything of it but he definitely was eating way weird even days after. hes had it out about a week and still eats a little weird. His favorite squeezable meat tubes he used to lap up fast straight from the tube now he eats it very slow and smacks his mouth really loud. They looked in his mouth and throat really well and said they cant see why he would be doing that. I also give about 0.3cc at a time. Very little amount of liquid! I know it can take even months from a cat to fully heal from pancreatitis and dka but since he had both and was septic I'm sure he has a long way to go but acting well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he still have the feeding tube?
No he hasnt had it in a couple weeks. He is excessively licking himself since he got back from the hospital last month. He wouldnt ever clean himself before..and I mean ever