Cotton Coat

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Rescue cat here, persian/something else.. has a cotton coat. It's the longest it has been in a long while, I had to shave her when I got her.

I've been upset now because she is not cleaning her hind end after the litter box, after she uses the box she walks for a bit; and sits down on the floor and wiggles a little.

I've noticed spots near her food bowl that look like pee/poo smear (yellow) that clean easily.

I've began wiping that area with a damp paper towel. Urine is building up in her coat and smelling. I just bathed her a week ago.

I tried to get her to clean her butt, when I wipe her butt she protests; as she purrs she doesn't know what is going on.

I've heard people talk about a sanitary cut, I'll be more than happy to do.. I've tried before, it seems I don't know what I am doing with clippers.

If you want a picture of the butt, ask and I'll message you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And the tear stains are STILL an issue! Rust colored. Could the eye build up give her an eye infection?

And should I put something tasty over her butt hole so she gets that she is slacking?

I'm thinking salmon juice. Or wet her down with water there.

Could dried up pee in her fur give her a urinary infection?

She is getting mad at me for wiping her eyes and her butt. How do I make sure she stays healthy?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm using EZ-Groom white shampoo and conditioner. She has all kinds of shedding. I pick up globs off the carpet, my clothes are covered when she lays on me.

I'm on allergy medicine for seasonal allergies every time this time of the year.

The vet student said to give her over the counter allergy medicine for her eye drainage, and sneezing; he said she has chronic herpes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't really have anything to offer, but if I recall correctly GaryT GaryT has a Persian and has had some similar issues. There are a couple of others as well - if I come up with their names, I will mention them in another post here.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tear issues with my Theodore so I use cotton rounds dampened with water to clean the areas around his eyes. I also give him "Angel's Eyes" powder mixed with his wet food every day and it seems to help. Sometimes I have to wash his face a couple times a day. If left on his eyes, he could get an infection so I stay on top of this when I see it. I have tried the wipes as well but have stopped buying those. I have found nothing that stops the stains. The area under his eyes has darker fur and the tears make the fur darker which makes it stand out more. I dry the area I clean with a tissue after I wipe the face. I try to keep the areas dry.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tear issues with my Theodore so I use cotton rounds dampened with water to clean the areas around his eyes. I also give him "Angel's Eyes" powder mixed with his wet food every day and it seems to help. Sometimes I have to wash his face a couple times a day. If left on his eyes, he could get an infection so I stay on top of this when I see it. I have tried the wipes as well but have stopped buying those. I have found nothing that stops the stains. The area under his eyes has darker fur and the tears make the fur darker which makes it stand out more. I dry the area I clean with a tissue after I wipe the face. I try to keep the areas dry.
He is adorable!
Beautiful!
I tried using the shampoo under he eyes everyday, I think it was damaging her eyes. So I stopped.
I have tried Eye Envy, she hates it. On facebook, I found a group for dogs that suggested a few supplements that are good for cats also. At the moment she is not eating supplements, because I changed her food recently. She will go on strike!
I use paper towel, warm water, and get most of the stain out.. However, the stain comes right back when her eyes run.
The antihistamine helps for a while..
It seems like there is no cure.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Rescue cat here, persian/something else.. has a cotton coat. It's the longest it has been in a long while, I had to shave her when I got her.

I've been upset now because she is not cleaning her hind end after the litter box, after she uses the box she walks for a bit; and sits down on the floor and wiggles a little.

I've noticed spots near her food bowl that look like pee/poo smear (yellow) that clean easily.

I've began wiping that area with a damp paper towel. Urine is building up in her coat and smelling. I just bathed her a week ago.

I tried to get her to clean her butt, when I wipe her butt she protests; as she purrs she doesn't know what is going on.

I've heard people talk about a sanitary cut, I'll be more than happy to do.. I've tried before, it seems I don't know what I am doing with clippers.

If you want a picture of the butt, ask and I'll message you.
I found the butter comb

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have pine pellets for litter it’s helped

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our Persian cat expert is posiepurrs posiepurrs - hopefully she will see your post the next time she's on the site. In the meantime, I also have a Persian, he is our third rescue and I highly recommend a greyhound stainless steel comb like this for grooming purposes. Please don't let the description title greyhound confuse you.

It would be preferable for a "professional" groomer to give a sanitary shave for your cat's rear area and speak to them about some of your other concerns. However, if you should decide to go this route make absolutely sure you get a reliable recommendation and that the groomer is adept with cats. I take our cat to a groomer several times a year who is at our vet's office. Since this a feline specialty vet the groomer there only works on grooming cats.

The vet student you mentioned is just that, i.e. a student. I don't mean to be condescending in any way since you know him best but a diagnosis of chronic herpes should be made by a board certified veterinarian. Regarding your cat's eye tearing and stains I also use cotton rounds as GaryT GaryT described. It's important to note that they be dampened with warm water only. I was told by two different vets not to use kleenex or tissue and dry lightly with a soft clean towel. It's an ongoing problem with the Persian cat due to them being a brachycephalic breed.

I hope I have been able to answer one or more of your questions. If you have any other concerns please feel free to ask and we will try to do our best to help. Good luck! :goodluck:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps its her diet that should be changed?

Food can make a big difference in stool consistency and therefore the likelihood of it sticking to her.

Greg has very very furry "britches" and on occassion poop can get stuck. I use a small sharp pair of scissors to cut away anything stuck, but never cut closer than 1/2" from his body.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sanitary cut can help with the cling ons. Can you bathe the cat? If tolerated that is the simplest way of dealing with the problems mentioned - helps with shedding and poor hygiene by the cat. As far as eye stains go: 1. Do not use cotton balls or anything that might shed particles into the eye. I use makeup pads to clean eyes. I make an eye cleaner at home similar to Eye Envy (cheaper for me to make it since I use so much of it). Clean eyes daily or even twice a day, then pack under the eye with powder, using a small makeup brush. I do use the Eye Envy powder for this. The powder helps stop staining. While herpes can cause tearing, it is just a fact of life with some cats - herpes or not. Most cats have been exposed to herpes at some point, just like humans get exposed to colds. I would worry more about an infection of the skin where the build up of tearing is rather than the eye (although I suppose that could be infected to if neglected). When the tears dry, a hard crust will form and pull the hair out when removed. I have seen cats where the skin underneath was raw and looked almost like diaper rash from not being cleaned properly. 2. Cottony coat - while desirable when showing it is a major pain in the rear to groom. It seems to snarl if you even look at it! Comb daily with a good greyhound style comb. Again. bathing will help since removing grease and oil will keep the coat from sticking together and matting. Yes, I know people believe cats don't need baths but long haired cats CAN NOT clean to the skin.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a butter comb. I shaved her legs the back side a trim. I use warm water with paper towels under her eyes. I told the vet he encouraged me to just do it as in groom her or pay someone to keep her groomed. I’m hesitant to use eye envy type of products because i don’t want to get it in her eyes. Her winter coat is beautiful! I pull out knots Mats where she scratches her ears for example. I use ez groom shampoo and conditioner products as recommended by a groomer. I used to use this shampoo daily to keep the stains down. It built up in her eyes. I don’t want a repeat of that. Thanks everyone! D15C864C-5CB9-477A-B271-0CA54F0C5421.jpeg F1637BB0-9233-4011-802E-77F1BC390A23.jpeg D15C864C-5CB9-477A-B271-0CA54F0C5421.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You babies are beautiful!!

It seems to snarl if you even look at it!
Goodness, isn't that the truth!!

I take the same approach as Purr-fect Purr-fect since my boy was "blessed" with that cottony fur on his belly, so it gets trimmed to help keep the mats at bay, along with a hygiene trim for those infamous poop dingleberries :)

Just in case this helps any readers/lurkers;