Costco’s Pure Vanilla Extract

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone tried this vanilla extract? Vanilla extract is so expensive that I’ve been thinking about trying the one from Costco. I’m currently using Simply Organic Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract. (I’ve also used Trader Joe’s brand of vanilla, and while I love most things TJ, I didn’t care for the vanilla.)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. We don't have a Costco around here. The closest one is over 60 miles one way. If you use a lot of vanilla, you might want to consider making your own. You can use vodka or bourbon to soak the vanilla beans. Rum would probably work too. It ends up cheaper in the long run and you know what's in it. Winchester Winchester makes her own.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
America’s Test Kitchen reviewed vanilla extracts. Believe it or not, Baker’s Vanilla Extract came in first place and you can find it at WM for less than $1.00 a bottle. I think it’s an 8-ounce bottle.

That being said, I make my own. A bottle of Grey Goose vodka and 15 vanilla beans. Split the beans in half lengthwise. Scrap each half with a sharp knife. Put the scrapings into the bottle of vodka, then add all 30 vanilla bean halves. I haven’t made it in a good year or so, but was getting my beans from Vanilla Traders on eBay. I don’t know if they’re still around. They had very nice beans at good prices.

Place the bottle back in a cabinet. Once a week or so, gently roll the bottle several times. Don’t shake it, just roll it. And then put it away again. Should be ready to use in 6 months or so. I also make a bourbon vanilla with a bottle bourbon. Both smell wonderful.

The bourbon vanilla is wonderful in pound cakes, custards, vanilla ice cream, etc. I use it in my bread pudding. The vodka vanilla works for chocolate recipes, cookies, and such.

You could use rum, too, I think. The smell of rum makes me physically ill, so I won’t use it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Winchester Winchester . What size bottle of Grey Goose do you use?
It's a 750 ml bottle of Grey Goose. With 15 halved (30 halves) vanilla beans.
I also have Wild Turkey Bourbon. Also with 15 halved (30 halves) vanilla beans.

FWIW, Ina Garten has said that you don't need expensive vodka. I chose GG because I didn't know what to get.

Also, I don't measure my vanilla when baking anymore. I just give whatever I'm making a good dollop. :paperbag: I should measure; the stuff is probably like brown gold at this point!

What I have here is all that's left. It will get me through Christmas, but in January, I'll be looking for vanilla beans. And I'll have to think about the cost. Vanilla has become exorbitant. I have bought Penzey Double-Strength Vanilla and it's truly wonderful stuff. I can't afford it anymore.

Good luck! If you find a good place for beans, please let me know....I'm going to be looking around because I don't think Vanilla Traders is still on eBay.

Vanilla.jpg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I went to Ebay and could not find Vanilla Traders. I went with vanilla.pods
They have 30 Madagascar Grade B beans, 3-4 inches long. $33.99.
I went ahead and ordered. They should be here by Saturday. I'll buy a new bottle of Grey Goose and Wild Turkey. If anybody knows another good brand of bourbon, please let me know.

If I start my vanilla now, it will be really nice in 6 months.

This is not as good as Vanilla Traders. They always had 5-6 inch beans. And they always sent free extra beans with every order.
But I understand that vanilla beans are very expensive. As much, in some cases, as almost $4 per bean.

I'll let you know what I get.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went ahead and ordered. They should be here by Saturday. I'll buy a new bottle of Grey Goose and Wild Turkey. If anybody knows another good brand of bourbon, please let me know.

This is not as good as Vanilla Traders. They always had 5-6 inch beans. And they always sent free extra beans with every order.
But I understand that vanilla beans are very expensive. As much, in some cases, as almost $4 per bean.

Bulleit makes a very fine bourbon. Award-winning whiskey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

Have you used beans from Slofoodgroup? They sell on Amazon but also directly from a very nice website. They’re pricier per bean than those you bought, but they’re longer: 12-14 cm. or about 4.7-5.5 in. each. Their website also says you don’t have to use an expensive vodka.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks Kat0121 Kat0121 . I'll check them out at the liquor store.
Tobermory Tobermory I have not bought beans from any place other than Vanilla Traders and (one time) Penzey. I'll have to look at their site. Thanks.
I just got my vanilla beans from Slofoodgroup. They’re gorgeous and smell wonderful! Six inches long. Now I just need the vodka.
C8AB8367-81C3-4AC1-B23B-4A5C6D0FEAA7.jpeg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got my beans and, yesterday, I bought a bottle of Grey Goose.
Tobermory Tobermory , my beans are not as nice as yours. Smaller and thinner. It was hard cutting them in half and scraping the seeds out of the beans.
VanillaOne.jpg

And here is the beginning of my vodka vanilla. I took some of the vodka out and put it into my other bottle, along with some of the freshly sliced and scraped beans. Other than rolling the bottle once a week, I won't touch it until next summer some time. It's in the back of the cabinet. Oh, and I halved and scraped three vanilla beans and added them to five cups of granulated sugar. I'll let that go for a couple of weeks, just in time for Christmas baking. Wonderful with a good sugar cookie recipe!

The total was not quite $60, for both the vanilla and the vanilla sugar. And adding some of the beans to my other bottle of vodka. That's really not a bad price and it makes a decent vanilla. An 8-ounce bottle of double-strength vanilla (my vanilla of choice, if I'm buying) is now almost $85. I can't afford it.
VanillaTwo.jpg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It was hard cutting them in half and scraping the seeds out of the beans.
You might check out Slofoodgroup next time. My beans were soft and pliable. I took a pair of scissors, slid the point in the end, and just ran them down the length of each bean. Their stuff gets good reviews.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here is the vanilla that I just did last month. The vodka bottle with the greater amount is the newest bottle. The bottle next to it a bottle that I've been working on. I also have a bottle of bourbon vanilla in the cupboard.
You can see the difference between the two bottles. The newer bottle isn't as dark yet, although it smells amazing. I won't use it until next summer or so. My vanilla sugar is definitely ready to use! I'll use it in sugar cookies or chocolate crinkles.

Tobermory Tobermory How is your vanilla doing?
VanillaNov.jpg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I put stickers on the bottles so I know when I made it (10/22/20), and I’ve been faithfully shaking it once a week. I can’t wait for six months to go by! (But I will. :) )
9444A0B5-E38F-44F8-AFFF-24B0B98A25D6.jpeg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Yours looks much darker than mine. It looks wonderful! Nice!!

When you roll your bottle, don't forget to take the cap off and take a whiff. I don't think anything smells better than a bottle of vanilla!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! Winchester Winchester My daughter receives about 50 industry newsletters (she's a nutritionist.) And today she told me that next year the price of vanilla will drop. The price increase was due to a drought and other problems, and starting a new vanilla orchid plantation is not a speedy operation. But now the crop is getting back to normal (hah! would that I could say that for so many other things) and next year will be better. For vanilla, at least.

My son-in-law is a senior pilot for United. And right now he's on a 2-day trip to Mexico. Usually he gets vanilla for me at a duty free shop at the Mexico City airport. But these days he doesn't even go through that part of the airport. So I followed your advice and bought some vanilla at Costco.

Last edited: