Cost of kitty food and stool (poop) sizes -- what are your thoughts?

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just me thinking out loud since cost of kitty food has been mentioned and compared in a previous thread, but didn't want to highjack that thread.
This has probably been discussed before, so pardon this newbie to the group if that is the case.

If you were to do a comparison of stool (poop) sizes and frequency for kitties eating kibble, canned, and home-prepared raw, I would be extremely surprised if kibble or canned were cheaper than home-prepared raw. The reason being, the more bioavailable, digestible, and nutrient dense a food is (comparing pound to pound--or oz to oz), the smaller the stools because the food it being utilized by kitties as opposed to being eliminated in their stools.

Anyone up for comparing stool sizes? Or maybe someone has gotten this adventurous.

All I can say is back in the day when I fed kibble and canned, kitty poos were much larger and frequent. On raw mine poo once a day to every other day--and the size is considerably smaller and has NO smell. (Yup, I've given them the sniff test.
)

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experience is the same as yours. Smaller less frequent smell free stools on raw than when we were feeding dry and canned. And I was feeding grain free food from the start with the cats. 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Evo (currently but looking to change) and I've noticed that my boys each poo once a day and it's relatively small and odorless compared to the cats I've cat-sitted for.  My mother's cats - gosh - It's awful in comparison.  It looked like the kind of poo that was a struggle to come out, if that makes any sense.  She feeds dry.  I can only imagine what it would be like if they were on raw. :-) 

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering a lot about stool size myself. Lately, I've noticed that my cats on grain-free, carrageenan-free wet foods have medium size, but long stools once a day and they stink. This concerns me, because bigger and smellier poop means less is being digested, and with their specially chosen grain-free rotations, I expected their stool to be smaller and less stinky. Very frustrating.

I'm looking to feed raw eventually, once I find a commercial raw I am comfortable with. Question to the owner's feeding NV raw: wouldn't the stools still be just as large and stinky since it still contains fruits and veggies which they cannot digest?

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering a lot about stool size myself. Lately, I've noticed that my cats on grain-free, carrageenan-free wet foods have medium size, but long stools once a day and they stink. This concerns me, because bigger and smellier poop means less is being digested, and with their specially chosen grain-free rotations, I expected their stool to be smaller and less stinky. Very frustrating.

I'm looking to feed raw eventually, once I find a commercial raw I am comfortable with. Question to the owner's feeding NV raw: wouldn't the stools still be just as large and stinky since it still contains fruits and veggies which they cannot digest?
I thought that too.
But I guess the probiotic I give my cats daily is doing some good with that part. I don't worry too much because it only has 5% veggies and fruits, and I don't plan to be using NV long term. I plan to transition to homemade raw or something even better in the next few months.