Cost of Heartworm test

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brought Misty to the Vet today for her Rabies shot, and they asked me if I wanted to do a heartworm test. I asked what the cost was and they told me $157. I declined the test because of the cost since my cat is an indoor cat, and I figured that her getting heartworms was probably not very common. Is this a typical cost for this test, and if this test is needed for a prescription for revolution, which is expensive in itself, I am thinking about switching to Advantage for flea control when my current Revolution prescription expires.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes. For dogs, I've paid between $25-$50. I've never had a cat tested. I don't know if the cat test is different from the dog test, but if it's the same that's exorbitant. You can try calling other vets to see if their prices are different.

(From what I can tell by googling it, it looks like it is the same test.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a heartworm test is required to get a prescription for Revolution. Neither of my cats got tested and they got a prescription.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think a heartworm test is required to get a prescription for Revolution. Neither of my cats got tested and they got a prescription.
Same with ours although I got the prescription because they had roundworms. 🤷‍♀️ I don't think they tested for heartworms though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets may require it.

But no, it's normally not done. Cats often don't test positive because they usually only have one heartworm, and the test looks for microfilirae (babies). And heartworm prevention meds don't kill adult heartworms anyway.