Cosequin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that people feel that I am abusing my cats by denying vet care, I do feel that im abusing them by doing so but there not much I can do right now. I have a job now so I will take them to a vet when I make enough. I just gotta find a vet, all seem to have good or great reviews on google, just don't know which one to go with. Any tips?

I get money from the government, I can try to talk to my mom into letting me to bringing one cat in(which I doubt she will let me because she barely let me buy cat food for them), I just don't know which one needs vet care the most, Tucker with the limp or daisy with possible mouth pain or her daughter with possible heart problem, which I doubt there any problems with her heart or whatever because she doesn't seem to have any problems breathing, and I don't think I ever saw her panting when playing so I don't know. Maybe the panting randomly few times was just one time thing and maybe it was that hot out for her, I just don't know

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a bag of pill pockets, how should I do it, just put the capsule in it or pour the powder in it? I'm thinking of pouring the powder in it, so if he bites into it, he doesn't get throw off by the shell of whatever it called.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be an instruction sheet with the pills. If there isn't I wouldn't use the pills as you won't know what they really are.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
forgive me if I'm not understanding but I bought the cosequin at Wal-Mart so it should be the real deal, but I'm asking how should I put the capsule in the greenies pill pockets, just shove the capsule in the pocket or pour the powder in it?

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the pill pockets are a no go, so back to mixing it with wet food.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see, sorry. I just sprinkle the powder over a spoonful of food our cat likes. I sort of mix it into the food and she eats it. Sometimes there's a bit of the powder left but most of the time she eats all of it.

Others will have to tell you about using the pill pockets, I never have.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see, sorry. I just sprinkle the powder over a spoonful of food our cat likes. I sort of mix it into the food and she eats it. Sometimes there's a bit of the powder left but most of the time she eats all of it.

Others will have to tell you about using the pill pockets, I never have.
I tried pouring the powder in the pill pockets but when he bites into it. It goes all over the place, then today I tried just putting the capsule in it and he refused to eat it, I will try again later.
so it's okay to have little bit of powder left?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, it's fine to have some of the powder left over. This isn't an antibiotic, it's pain medicine. Some is better than none. Kit won't die without it. But he should feel better if he eats some of it. I should add, if he needs it, if he doesn't it won't help. Let us know if this helps. Remember pain medicine isn't a cure and he does need to be seen by a vet when that is possible. I know it's hard and I'm sending good energy for your job search. :vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So with the ice cube tray, can I mix the powder with the wet food and freeze it? Or does cold have a effect on it?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, you freeze the clumps of food so you have one for each dose. You empty the tray into a freezer space saver or a plastic bag. Then each evening you take a clump out and put it in a small dish/bowl ( I use very small space savers with lids) in the fridge to thaw. In the morning set the small dish in a larger bowl of warm/hot water for two minutes to warm to body temp. Put the warmed clump in the
cat's bowl and mash the powder into it. The cold never gets near the medicine.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I need ice cube trays, any you would suggest, will probably get it at walmart

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastic is good. Don't get metal with a handle, you'll cut yourself.

with the plastic you fill each cube about 5/6 full, cover with aluminum foil. Freeze over night. Turn it over on the counter and rub your hands over the back of the tray to warm it, then gently move the tray around to make it drop the ice cubes.

I guess you've only seen ice makers.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mwallace056 , as you are waiting to see if the cosequin helps, please remember that it takes a couple of weeks or so to take affect. It seems to have a cumulative affect. Things that work immediately for cats require a prescription from the vet and are expensive.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mwallace056 , as you are waiting to see if the cosequin helps, please remember that it takes a couple of weeks or so to take affect. It seems to have a cumulative affect. Things that work immediately for cats require a prescription from the vet and are expensive.
Thanks for the reminder, I had to skip a week because I was gone.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought Well & Good Hip & Joint Support Chews from petco, looks to be cheaper than cosequin, $7 for 60 chews at two chews a day vs $9 for 30 at two capsules a day. He seems to likes it cause he ate it straight away, no hesitation or anything.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been emailing couple of vets near me and their prices for Tucker, the cheapest I found so far the total would be $240 or $250 depending which recommended lab work package I go with, The one recommended for his age would be either the feline wellness which includes a CBC (red blood cell, white blood cell, and platelets) test, a fecal exam to check for intestinal parasites, a CHEM 25 (different organ functions such as kidney, liver, etc.) and an SDMA which is a value specifically linked to the kidneys for $79. There is also another package called the junior wellness which is $89, and includes the previously mentioned tests as well as a feline triple test which checks for feline leukemia virus, FIV, and heartworm disease

Since he is a outside cat im wondering if the junior wellness is worth it? I did asked them if it be worth it but probably won't hear back until sometime next week, so I wanted to people opinions on here

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So took Tucker to the vet today, they didn't think an xray was necessary and that his gait was due to toes being frozen off. Now I'm waiting for the blood test results and felv/fiv and hw results. But something been bought to my attention. He gain 3 pounds. I weigh him every so often and he was always around 10lbs. I've always free-fed him special kitty outdoor dry food and he always maintain his Weight but only recently switch to Purina one and iams couple weeks ago. So they would have something new for a bit. Is it possible that the food change cause him to gain weight that fast? I didn't weigh him since more than few months ago, so it's hard to say when he gain the weight.

Last edited:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope Tucker is ok! I'm glad he has you to care about him!
I've spent over $800 on Luna's visits, with the wound infection, limping, and everything else. Labs came back Fiv and Fi? negative. We go back so that she can get her rotten teeth taken out. She is demanding attention at my feet at the moment. Her x ray showed hip displacement, she had pain medicine for a couple months. She is moving fine now. It's getting to be bath time. I can show you a picture. IMG_3443.jpg

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah he's okay, he's healthy. I wanted to make sure his limp wasn't serious but since he still jumping to places and able to climb trees. The vet decided it's not necessary to do an X-Ray. since he's 6 or 7, I had them to do lab work. Just wanted to make sure his organs are healthy and not showing early signs of disease or whatever. I should get the results by Monday or Tuesday along with felv/fiv and heartworm results. If he tests neg for felv I'm going to get him vaccinated against it.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he tested neg for felv/fiv/heartworm. I'm planning on getting him vaccinated against felv. I'm also planning getting all my cats vaccinated against it. But is it necessary to test all my cats?