Cosequin? Vet recommended it but seems to be mixed info online about it

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended cosequin for my cat but online it seems there is some info saying it's helpful, others saying it's harmful and other's saying it does absolutely nothing. I feel concerned about what to do, does anyone have experience with giving this to their cat and how it went, if it hellped, etc? Also if you have any brand recommendations.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cosequin is the brand name vets refer to, kind of like when doctors tell a patient to take Tylenol when any generic brand of acetominophen will work just as well.

The same company makes Dasuqin which is a more advanced product: Products | Dasuquin.com

Both products are helpful for arthritis and joint issues. I'm pretty sure there are other simular glucosamine products you can give your cat. I wouldn't take much account into online reviews since they're so mixed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
People tend to post online reviews when things are bad, sometimes when things are good but mostly bad. So always take the online reviews with a grain of salt.

That said, I didn't see much improvement with Cosequin for my cat. He has arthritis from breaking his leg when he was younger and its pretty bad. I honestly didn't see any improvement in the three months he got it regularly and he stopped eating food with it mixed in. The whole thing just didn't work for him. Other people report it really helps their cats. I'd say give it a chance and monitor your cat to see if it helps. If it does, great. If it doesn't, you can try something different.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You’re going to get mixed answers so it probably depends on the cat. I give my two 16-year-olds Cosequin, and it has noticeably helped them, one more so than the other. With Lily, I actually have to give her the initial dose all of the time (twice daily). The maintenance dose (once daily) stopped being effective. She still walks stiffly, but she doesn’t limp now.

I know that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gives Feeby Glyco Flex Plus.

If you do get Cosequin and have a membership, check out the price at Costco. That’s the lowest I’ve found, and I order it online.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As Tobermory Tobermory mentioned above, I began giving Feeby Glyco Flex Plus (VetriScience Labs) about 2 years ago. I decided upon it because it contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels - a combination that has been shown to be beneficial in humans. It is non-prescription, costs about $10 per month, and can be ordered on-line (I get mine through Amazon). The directions say to start with 2 chews daily for the first 6 weeks, and then reduce it to one a day. I did not do that as I had heard it can cause loose stools, particularly at the higher dose. The chews are big, but can be easily cut up into multiple pieces, and even crushed to add to food.

Feeby (16+ yo) has some arthritis and was beginning to limp a bit. After about 3-4 weeks of taking one chew per day, the limp went away. After two years, there are occasions here and there when she might limp for a few steps when she first gets up from laying or sitting down for a duration of time (stiffness, I am guessing), but otherwise she seems to be doing well. She initially loved the flavor of the chews and gladly scarfed them down. At some point in time, she started to turn her nose up at them, so I crush them and add a bit of baby food meat to them and she is back to eating them with no problem.

I consulted my vet beforehand about using them, and he said he saw no reason not to give them a try.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are going to get mixed answers, as was stated, and won't know if it will help your cat until you try it. I have never had much luck with Cosequin or Dasuquin for dogs or cats....no one got sick, it was just ineffective.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it may depend on how bad your cat is. One of mine had minor pain from arthritis and the Cosequin definitely helped. My stepson's dog had major pain so he went for the Dasoquin and I barely recognize his dog now. He's acting like a puppy!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Gohan has some minor arthritis at the base of his tail, and sometimes would shake his legs and walk stiffly after meals. He is still fairly active and runs around a lot so if he is in pain it is minor. We give him the maintenance does of cosequin once per day and it seems to lessen the stiffness although it is hard to tell. He really seems to like the taste and seems more interested in his wet food when we add the Cosequin.