Cosequin In Combo With Bladder Support Foods??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a previous thread I started about Feeby, a few of you recommended Cosequin for the arthritis in her upper spine. Even though the vet didn't seem to think it would be of any benefit, I thought I would try it anyway. But, I have a question about the product details noting that it helps support bladder health also.

For those of you who use this product, are any of your cats also on urinary/bladder foods (Hills Prescription C/D, Royal Canin SO)? I was just a little concerned that adding Cosequin on top of these foods might be - as the old saying goes - 'too much of a good thing'.

Also, PetSmart actually carries the Cosequin you folks recommended, but it also contains Boswellia Serrata Extract, which is supposed to be some sort of natural anti-inflammatory. But, even if it is labeled as 'natural', I was afraid long term use of it wouldn't be any better for liver/kidneys than long term use of NSAIDs. I haven't yet found anything on the Internet that suggests it would be problematic; but, wondered if any of you are using Cosequin with Boswellia.

Thanks!

Last edited:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wish i could address the URI stuff, but i believe that cosequin is mostly made from sea shell. chewy also says "Some veterinarians also recommend Cosequin to help support urinary bladder health." go figure!

i have a bottle of brand-name cosequin in my hand, and there's no Boswellia Serrata Extract in it. perhaps you were looking at something else? you can read both parts of the label clearly on the images at chewy, and there's no buswellia in it.
Nutramax Cosequin Capsules Joint Health Cat Supplement

btw, as a nervous cat person, i always give the cat a quarter of a dose of anything first to make sure he does okay with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, basschick. I have included a pic of the Cosequin with Boswellia. I can get Cosequin without Boswellia, I was just curious if anyone had used it and thought the added natural anti-inflammatory was beneficial from their experience.

I am also trying to find out if anyone who has cats that are eating urinary/bladder foods are also using Cosequin (with or without Boswellia) - just because both are to support bladder/urinary health, and I didn't know if it would be a wise idea to use both.

5223998[1].jpg

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the reason i use regular cosequin instead of desiquin is that i'm a believer in keeping it simple with medications. i'd try the regular first. then, after going through that bottle, you could try the cosequin with boswellia, and if your cat has a reaction to it, you'll know it was the boswellia; likewise if your cat does really well with it, you'll know the boswellia is why - and in that case, i hope you'll post about it here.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My ER vet recommended Cosequin in combination with Royal Canin S/O or Science Diet C/D. I don't know if it has contributed to his well-being, but it has not caused any harm and he likes it. He doesn't get it often since he prefers the kibble, though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My ER vet recommended Cosequin in combination with Royal Canin S/O or Science Diet C/D. I don't know if it has contributed to his well-being, but it has not caused any harm and he likes it. He doesn't get it often since he prefers the kibble, though.
Thanks. Was the Cosequin recommended, along with the SO & CD, because of it's bladder/urinary health support? Or, does your cat also have arthritis?

BTW - If your cat is prone to stones, you really ought to be having him eat the recommended foods as much as possible. When you say he prefers kibble - do you mean dry food? If so, The SO & CD come in both wet (canned) and dry. PetSmart offers all of the above. The reason I am stressing this so much is because Feeby had stones so bad 8 years ago that she had to have bladder surgery. After that, she was put on both wet & dry SO & CD, and she has been stone free since.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK - so apparently people reading this thread do not use a combo of Coesquin and bladder/urinary health foods, since there has been so few responses.

So, let me throw another idea/question at everyone. Do any of you give your arthritic cats green lipped mussel (GLM) extract? Yes, this is a real thing. If you're like me and had no idea that such a thing existed, you can read info at this web site:
Green-Lipped Mussel (Perna canaliculus) for Pets
There are other web sites with information as well, including the benefits to humans who consume it.

So far, I've found one person that uses GLM on an older cat, and the link below is the one she recommended over others (yes, there are multiple brands - although from what I have read so far this one might be the "most natural"). She called it a miracle worker on her arthritic cat, even though the cat was already on Cosequin for bladder health.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet recommended the Cosequin to reduce inflammation (not sure if she meant inflammation of the bladder, or inflammation of the urinary tract). He is on prescription kibble, but when he eats the wet (prescription), I sprinkle it on.

I suppose if it reduces bladder inflammation it makes sense it would be good for arthritis, too.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the main things that need to be avoided with prescription food for urinary health are additional acidifiers and possibly cranberry supplements. I don't think Cosequin affects PH (but I would have to check with my vet to be certain).

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I don't use cosequin for my cat's uti/cystitis issues. Unfortunately I don't know much about it. I did feed c/d stress for a while, but unfortunately my cat can't handle chicken, so he would vomit that food. What my vet did recommend that might help your cat is cartrophen injections.

Cartrophen is usually used as a treatment for arthritis in dogs here in Canada, but it has also used off label to treat both arthritis and cystitis in cats by many vets. It helps with both bladder and joint inflammation. From what my vet tells me it lubricates joints and helps rebuild the lining in the bladder to protect it.

Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. After a lot of research, and talking about it all to my vet, he thinks that a product called Glyco Flex Plus (by Vetri Science) might be the best option to try. It primarily contains Glucosamine, Green Lipped Mussels, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), and Chondoitrin. These ingredients are for joint/cartilage health and contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

I will probably start another thread based on this product, just to see if anyone has experience with it.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck, hope it goes well! I know that is a good brand. I have never used that particular formula, but they make a Lysine chew that my cats like. My vet carries that brand in her office, too.