Cortisone Injections - Beware

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many people here have mentioned how after having cortisone injections their cat had turned from vibrant to zombie like, lethargic, not eating, withdrawn and many more things. It can shut down the immune system. My cat has just died and personally he was a completely different cat not long after having cortisone. The vet said he had cancer, I'm not sure this is the case or even if he had it I think the cortisone killed him fast. He hardly did anything at all and I believe his immune system certainly shut down. Some animals react different but imo I wouldn't give my pet this ever again as I've read far too many cases of cortisone gong bad.

check this out

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/cortisone_shot_side_effects4.html

so many cases there of peoples cats having bad side effects and even death.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My personal experience over the years has been exactly the opposite.  They feel better, eat better, become more social and more relaxed, probably because it cuts down the inflammation and the pain.  I have one cat here now who has had cortisone injections for the past three years because of stomatitis flares.  He is now having less flares and gets cortisone less often, but he has had no other infections or problems and his personality is basically good except when he is having a flare and needs a shot.  I have been told by vets that people and dogs tolerate cortisone less well than cats, and cats can be on cortisone for a long time without suffering any bad side effects.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't care for any of the shots that stay in the system for a long time including the antibiotic shot, convenia.  They have their place with ferals that can't be pilled daily but other than that I would rather give a daily medication.  With the daily medication it isn't a large dose and if there is a reaction simply quit giving the medicine and it clears out of the system quickly.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I strongly agree about Convenia and it's one of the things I have on my charts:  No Convenia.  For stomatitis in this cat, however, long lasting cortisone is exactly what's needed.  He was formerly feral and he can't be pilled without it being a huge trauma.  Someon has mentioned using an allergy pill, Zyrtec, for stomatitis and I would love to try that, but he can't be pilled and it's bitter so I couldn't crush it and mix it with anything.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can see giving a shot with stomatitis.  I haven't dealt with it but I know the whole mouth can be badly inflamed making pilling difficult and painful for the kitty.  

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Prednisolone the same thing.  My 2nd opinion vet took my cat off the Pred.  He told me it was only masking what was going on with her.  Franny is getting iv fluids everyday and critical care  food with lots of nutrients and a pill call Renavast to help reverse some of the damage.  I don't know if she will make it but.  The 1st vet thought she had Lymphoma and was at end of life care with some Pred every other day.  The 2nd vet believes Franny has bowel cancer( both vets see the mass) but the 2nd vet determined the blood levels where more consistent with bowel cancer.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prednisolone is the most commonly prescribed steroid for kitties.  If your kitty does have a growth I don't understand coming off the steroid.  It's true that it isn't chemo therefore won't bring about a remission.  At therapeutic levels which is usually around 10 mg a day it may cause some shrinkage of the growth and help give kitty some more good time.

It and the shot are both steroids but like other medicines given daily it doesn't stay in the system like the long acting shots.