Coronavirus Hoarding - cat version

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, things are going to get worse,and if your cat only eats Crave (which based on the speed you go through seems like she does). Keeping several months worth on hand is a good idea always. Cat food brands get discontinued frequently (Evo and Maxcat in just the past year), individual flavors are removed or change formula even more frequently. It can be a slow hellish process to find a a new food and fully transition.

May I ask, why are you buying such small sizes?

Also, why is Crave on amazon "not ideal""

Also This isn't a criticism on you, but for all of us. we should all try to bundle our online orders as much as possible. Two amazon orders a week adds more to the problem than buying an extra bag of catfood does.
The infrastructure is overloaded from the hoarding,online shopping being the only safe way to shop,BUT ALSO, there is a record number of average orders each customer is doing (many people are home, bored, and ordering something the moment they thing of it). ordering everything you need from an online store on one bundled order once a week will ease the load significantly and helps everyone.

Also, If your avatar location is correct youre a long way from third worst state. =P
View attachment 328288
I'm in Massachusetts it's really bad here​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flushing cat poop puts into the waste water system with human poop where it goes through treatment. So no law against it but you do want to make sure you don’t clog your own plumbing.
There may be no law against it (although i think there is), either way, its not advised, Toxoplasmosis is one of the most resilient parasites. They are eukaryotic not bacteria and can infect many species. Water treatment should usually be able to kill all the cells, but not all the spores may get killed, those that make it out causes a lot of harm to wildlife, thats why literally every cat guide says to not flush cat feces.

google "flushing cat feces", first 20 results all say why it's not ok.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no law against it but it's not advised, toxoplasmosis is killed through water treatment, but not all the spores do, causes a lot of harm to wildlife, thats why literally every cat guide says to not flush cat feces.

google "flushing cat feces", first 20 results all say why it's not ok.
Thanks that was a good explanation. I never flushed cat poo but I never will now!

I had Frisco cat litter in my cart for a few hours. Whoops it's all gone now. ><

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks that was a good explanation. I never flushed cat poo but I never will now!

I had Frisco cat litter in my cart for a few hours. Whoops it's all gone now. ><
sealing cat poop in a bag and sending it to a landfill is not perfect solution, but it is cuttrntly the best option we have. Toxoplasmosis. gondii oocysts can live in poop, soil, fresh water, and soltwater for years. Even burried outside, its a huge risk to most animals, and has the potenial to destroy an ecosystem

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sealing cat poop in a bag and sending it to a landfill is not perfect solution, but it is cuttrntly the best option we have. Toxoplasmosis. gondii oocysts can live in poop, soil, fresh water, and soltwater for years. Even burried outside, its a huge risk to most animals, and has the potenial to destroy an ecosystem
..Considering the amounts of wild cats already spreading it out via pooping randomly, not sure how dumping a few turds in your soil would be a big issue in comparison to the amount probably already pooping in and near your soil.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus housecats don't usually contract toxoplasmosis, and cats that do only shed the oocysts for 2 weeks and then never again.

Hmm, someone should come up with a way to deliberately infect cats and then keep them confined for 2 weeks, then nobody would have to worry about whether they should scoop the box while pregnant or worry about flushing their feces.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
..Considering the amounts of wild cats already spreading it out via pooping randomly, not sure how dumping a few turds in your soil would be a big issue in comparison to the amount probably already pooping in and near your soil.
Just because something is a problem doesn't mean you should add to it. Do you just throw your trash in the street? Burn yard waste? Throw recycling in with the trash?

It's true strays are causing problems with local wildlife. Some dog owners use the same argument to not scoop.

It's definitely better to flush it than to leave it/bury it outside (that causes a slew of new problems on top of disease.

Last edited:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just because something is a problem doesn't mean you should add to it. Do you just throw your trash in the street? Burn yard waste? Throw recycling in with the trash?

It's true strays are causing problems with local wildlife. Some dog owners use the same argument to not scoop.

It's definitely better to flush it than to leave it/bury it outside (that causes a slew of new problems on top of disease.
My point very simply is that these diseases and parasites are already present in most areas inhabited by cats. Considering most people over-medicate & "help" their housecats, I'm not seeing the validity in worrying about this so hard. I find it unlikely the common, over-drugged and overly clean housecat is going to present any new diseases or parasites to an area. Unless you're aware your cat is infected and not doing anything about it. Uh...Obviously not condoning throwing it into the park or er, tossing trash into the streets lol. Weird argument. However using unnecessarily more plastic just to avoid potentially putting more cat poop into an area probably infested by wild cat poop and naturally has it; and decomposes it already seems silly. Or to waste water, lol

My comparison would be that, picture that
bananas can spread germs in wildlife..However bananas are everywhere already IN wildlife, would it make sense to wrap banana peels in unnatural unnecessary extremely harmful toxic plastic; and or waste water, or to just bury it pretty deeply?

Last edited:

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My point very simply is that these diseases and parasites are already present in most areas inhabited by cats. Considering most people over-medicate & "help" their housecats, I'm not seeing the validity in worrying about this so hard. I find it unlikely the common, over-drugged and overly clean housecat is going to present any new diseases or parasites to an area. Unless you're aware your cat is infected and not doing anything about it. Uh...Obviously not condoning throwing it into the park or er, tossing trash into the streets lol. Weird argument. However using unnecessarily more plastic just to avoid potentially putting more cat poop into an area probably infested by wild cat poop and naturally has it; and decomposes it already seems silly. Or to waste water, lol

My comparison would be that, picture that
bananas can spread germs in wildlife..However bananas are everywhere already IN wildlife, would it make sense to wrap banana peels in unnatural unnecessary extremely harmful toxic plastic; and or waste water, or to just bury it pretty deeply?
Big picture, cats are one of the few animal that passes infective toxoplasmosis in their stools.
30-50% of pet cats have been infected with toxoplasmosis at some point in there lives. there are 96 million "pet" cats in the US.
Pretending all pet cats live 20 years, only 30% of cats ever have, and no cat gets it more than once ever (absolute best case scenario).

...That's still 1.6 million pet cat with active toxoplasmosis in their stool EVERY YEAR.
If only you just do it, no it won't do any noticeable harm, my opinion, if every cat owner does it, it will do an incredible amount of harm regardless of the number of wild/feral/stray cats out there.

This won't be something we agree on, I'm fine ending this weird cat poop debate here.

New debate, bananas grow in very specific places, not "everywhere in wildlife"Bananas are one of the best things to use as compost and as fertilizer. The germs that could grow on it would biodegrade and is generally beneficial to the soil/wildlife. If there was a toxin in bananas that was killing off wildlife that we couldn't burn or neutralize we wouldnt be flushing banana peels down the toilet. Theyde end up in landfills, like expired medications, used medical supplies, radioactive waste, like all those dear that have chronic wasting syndrome, cows with mad cow disease... burn or bury deep in the ground.

Last edited:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New debate, bananas grow in very specific places, not "everywhere in wildlife"
I said "picture that," insinuating that this was an imaginary scenario in which bananas were everywhere and spread germs, not as in bananas in the real world. Hence the first part. lol

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I said "picture that," insinuating that this was an imaginary scenario in which bananas were everywhere and spread germs, not as in bananas in the real world. Hence the first part. lol
I got that. I put some smart ass facts about bananas.. It a poor choice of scenario as manufacturers would go to the effort of making a resistant enzyme for the germ, irradiating bananas. if thats not an option theyde burn it, if even that wasnt an option we are back at landfills.
IRONY There is a blight on bananas as we speak its a fungus called Panama Disease (fungus TR4), it most likley will cause the extinction bananas. So far its in Indonesia, China, Malaysia, Australia, the Philippines, Jordan, Vietnam, Laos, Pakistan, Lebanon, Mozambique, Oman, and as of a few months ago into Columbia.Because/ iIs killing wildlife the so the sick plants are put into a landfills, sometimes set on fire if they're far away enough to no spread spores. We put many things we cant safely get rid in landfils even the plastics harm wildlife, 3 kinds should be recycled the other 9... landfills. We have a Continent size patch of plastic in the ocean (Great Pacific garbage patch) specifically because those bottles never go into the landfill. If we could propell it into the sun it would be better, until then landfills are what we got.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back on topic, all of specters commercial food is out of stock except for flavors she doesn't get, managed to score a 7 can order though. Looks like the next few weeks are going to be tough.

Trying to frantically make enough money to score her premix and luck up on some meat before it's too late. I'm using one of my parent's cards sort of kinda (gave it to me, don't worry) with my own money 100% but I have a hint of a suspicion they're taking some of the money or something because it's always very low and orders sometimes don't work with it even though I loaded it with more than enough. Won't give me the code to login or the pin so I can't use it in store I don't think..and can't see my balance unless I ask them. and they respond late. I don't want to confront because I'm scared they'll take it and that's my only way to get essentials. Very frustrated. Not like I can go get my own either in this pandemic, I'm caring for my grandparents. Tired.

7 cans on the way though, that's the bright side.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I have my cat on dry food but I'm not a fan she's getting fat I want to switch to wet food so bad

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only 10 lbs left to make my cats home made cat food. I braved the stores, and found there was a lot of meat. I was nervous because i heard some meat processing plants closed down due to infected employees.

i felt bad buying the amount i normally buy (40 lbs of meat). But i dont want to run out of food for my cats. :frown: Thankfully there was still plenty of meat left. There wasn't a limit on the meat, so it looks like the craziness has subsided here in Miami. I was expecting hoarders to come out because of the meat plant issues.

Posting this as a heads up to home cookers out there. lol not sure if this will spread through the states and affect the meat supply.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only 10 lbs left to make my cats home made cat food. I braved the stores, and found there was a lot of meat. I was nervous because i heard some meat processing plants closed down due to infected employees.

i felt bad buying the amount i normally buy (40 lbs of meat). But i dont want to run out of food for my cats. :frown: Thankfully there was still plenty of meat left. There wasn't a limit on the meat, so it looks like the craziness has subsided here in Miami. I was expecting hoarders to come out because of the meat plant issues.

Posting this as a heads up to home cookers out there. lol not sure if this will spread through the states and affect the meat supply.

Did you notice a price difference?

I think one good thing that will come from this is that scarcity and will make locally farmed humanely raised (AWA/GAP) meat be a viable alternative from factory farms.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you notice a price difference?

I think one good thing that will come from this is that scarcity and will make locally farmed humanely raised (AWA/GAP) meat be a viable alternative from factory farms.
hello,

just checked and its the same price as always. I just watched a documentary on what tyson has done to small chicken farmers, its horrible. I buy perdue, havent had a chance to research if they have their hands dirty too.

I used to buy chicken from a small spanish grocery store. but the chicken always had this strong odor. The cats loved it, and my mom told me thats what farm meat smells like. Not sure if thats true.