Coronavirus Hoarding - cat version

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to find publix sells dr elseys litter in 20 lb boxes. Makes it easier to carry.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long is chewy taking to actually ship out these days? Made an order a few days ago and it still hasn't been shipped. I know it will take longer now but wanted to get an idea on estimates.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty litter ordered on March 18 was delivered on March 26

Tiny Tiger ordered on March 22 was shipped today, March 27 but no idea when it will get here

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people do not understand that on Amazon there are MANY suppliers. You have seen the item you are looking for at several different prices, I always laugh when I see the item I am looking for listed at 12.00, and then further down for 300.00! When the cheaper one is sold out all that is left is the very expensive one. (which is what that supplier was waiting for). They did not raise the price, the supplier changed. If something is in great demand, it naturally will go up too, supply and demand. You might have noticed items like 4-foot fluorescent bulbs being much cheaper than 2 foot, what!? Well, 4 foot are MUCH more common than 2 foot, and they sell a ton of them, thus they are cheaper.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long before the coronavirus hysteria hit, we would order litter and food from chewy on a regular basis- 160 lbs of litter and 3 of the 17 lb bags of their dry food at a time, reordering when we would get down to one of each, so we are in good shape, at least so far. I guess it comes from growing up out in the sticks where you never knew what the weather might bring- especially in the winter. When there is a chance of being snowed in, you make preparations accordingly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many people do not understand that on Amazon there are MANY suppliers. You have seen the item you are looking for at several different prices...
That statement might have been true 15 years ago, I don't think there are "many people" who don't know this by 2020. ;)

About 50% of sales are from 3rd party suppliers. And the third party items not competitively priced,wouldn't be covered by prime. The seller would have a terrible rating (or no rating). Outrageously priced things are taken down pretty quickly once discovered...

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just managed to score 2, 20 lbs jugs of Tidy Cats Instant Action Litter from PetCo. I ordered online and it should arrive by Tuesday. All the local stores that I checked were sold out and so was Chewy. So, I am stoked to get this litter and it will last Salem for months. I have an unopened 2 lbs bag of Crave dry cat food and I just opened a 4 lbs bag. Salem goes through about a pound a week. I found some Crave on Amazon (I know, not Ideal) and ordered another 4 lbs bag. That should be enough for a while. I am tempted to order another 4 lbs bag. My local grocery store, where I normally get her food, is out of stock right now. I don't want to add to the problem by going overboard and hoarding. But, my state is the third worst hit in the US and only getting worse.😰 Do you think it would too much to order another bag?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just managed to score 2, 20 lbs jugs of Tidy Cats Instant Action Litter from PetCo. I ordered online and it should arrive by Tuesday. All the local stores that I checked were sold out and so was Chewy. So, I am stoked to get this litter and it will last Salem for months. I have an unopened 2 lbs bag of Crave dry cat food and I just opened a 4 lbs bag. Salem goes through about a pound a week. I found some Crave on Amazon (I know, not Ideal) and ordered another 4 lbs bag. That should be enough for a while. I am tempted to order another 4 lbs bag. My local grocery store, where I normally get her food, is out of stock right now. I don't want to add to the problem by going overboard and hoarding. But, my state is the third worst hit in the US and only getting worse.😰 Do you think it would too much to order another bag?
I would, just because we don’t know and if an extra bag makes you a little less stressed I would do it.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, things are going to get worse,and if your cat only eats Crave (which based on the speed you go through seems like she does). Keeping several months worth on hand is a good idea always. Cat food brands get discontinued frequently (Evo and Maxcat in just the past year), individual flavors are removed or change formula even more frequently. It can be a slow hellish process to find a a new food and fully transition.

May I ask, why are you buying such small sizes?

Also, why is Crave on amazon "not ideal""

Also This isn't a criticism on you, but for all of us. we should all try to bundle our online orders as much as possible. Two amazon orders a week adds more to the problem than buying an extra bag of catfood does.
The infrastructure is overloaded from the hoarding,online shopping being the only safe way to shop,BUT ALSO, there is a record number of average orders each customer is doing (many people are home, bored, and ordering something the moment they thing of it). ordering everything you need from an online store on one bundled order once a week will ease the load significantly and helps everyone.

Also, If your avatar location is correct youre a long way from third worst state. =P
ba.png

Last edited:

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to the cashier, a customer went into our local Petsmart and bought almost $1000 worth of Fancy Feast, leaving none for the rest of us. I was able to get about a dozen cans of the three varieties of pate that my cats like at Pet Supplies Plus.
I can’t believe Petsmart allowed ONE person to purchase that much at once. That is their doing ( the store) for putting all other cat parents at a disadvantage. Not cool Petsmart!!!!

Last edited:

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The built in scratching board slot is the newest design improvement (it was really added because I was running out of carpet)
The built in scratching board slot is the newest design improvement (it was really added because I was running out of carpet)
I love this idea!!!!
If I ever get around to building my own I’ll have to keep that in mind.
I haven’t done my taxes either- I keep saying TOMORROW!!! 😛

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, things are going to get worse,and if your cat only eats Crave (which based on the speed you go through seems like she does). Keeping several months worth on hand is a good idea always. Cat food brands get discontinued frequently (Evo and Maxcat in just the past year), individual flavors are removed or change formula even more frequently. It can be a slow hellish process to find a a new food and fully transition.

May I ask, why are you buying such small sizes?

Also, why is Crave on amazon "not ideal""

Also This isn't a criticism on you, but for all of us. we should all try to bundle our online orders as much as possible. Two amazon orders a week adds more to the problem than buying an extra bag of catfood does.
The infrastructure is overloaded from the hoarding,online shopping being the only safe way to shop,BUT ALSO, there is a record number of average orders each customer is doing (many people are home, bored, and ordering something the moment they thing of it). ordering everything you need from an online store on one bundled order once a week will ease the load significantly and helps everyone.

Also, If your avatar location is correct youre a long way from third worst state. =P
View attachment 328288

Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US

Unfortunately the situation is constantly changing and it is hard to find the most updated information. But, Yes Michigan is third at the moment, as if it even matters. As of 10 AM March 29, 2020, Michigan has 5486 reported cases and 132 deaths. 😖
Yes, Salem will only eat Crave and I AM concerned that something could interrupt the supply or production of her food. I have been trying for the last year to get her to accept anything that is not Crave. I have had no luck with my stubborn girl.
Crave Dry comes in 2 lbs, 4 lbs, and 10 lbs bags. The reason for not just buying 2 or 3 10 lbs bags is cost. I can't afford to drop $30 per 10 lbs bag. But, $12 for 4 lbs is more manageable for me. Plus, it would take Salem a long time to get through a 10 lbs and the last few pounds might not as fresh as she demands.
I understand that multiple small orders are worse than one big one. But, I opted for no rush shipping with my first order and it won't ship for at least another week. If I were to add another bag, even in a separate transaction, Amazon would ship them together.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would, just because we don’t know and if an extra bag makes you a little less stressed I would do it.
I just order another 4 lbs bag of dry Crave. So, once everything gets here, I should have 10 lbs unopened (2 - 4 lbs + 1 - 2 lbs) and about 3 lbs left in the storage container. That should last Salem roughly 3 months, maybe more. Do you think that is enough? How much cat food do you keep on hand at any given time?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just order another 4 lbs bag of dry Crave. So, once everything gets here, I should have 10 lbs unopened (2 - 4 lbs + 1 - 2 lbs) and about 3 lbs left in the storage container. That should last Salem roughly 3 months, maybe more. Do you think that is enough? How much cat food do you keep on hand at any given time?
Three months is about what I have. I think that should be enough. Maybe in another month or six weeks reassess conditions and buy again if need be.

Last edited:

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US

Unfortunately the situation is constantly changing and it is hard to find the most updated information. But, Yes Michigan is third at the moment, as if it even matters. As of 10 AM March 29, 2020, Michigan has 5486 reported cases and 132 deaths. 😖
Yes, Salem will only eat Crave and I AM concerned that something could interrupt the supply or production of her food. I have been trying for the last year to get her to accept anything that is not Crave. I have had no luck with my stubborn girl.
Crave Dry comes in 2 lbs, 4 lbs, and 10 lbs bags. The reason for not just buying 2 or 3 10 lbs bags is cost. I can't afford to drop $30 per 10 lbs bag. But, $12 for 4 lbs is more manageable for me. Plus, it would take Salem a long time to get through a 10 lbs and the last few pounds might not as fresh as she demands.
I understand that multiple small orders are worse than one big one. But, I opted for no rush shipping with my first order and it won't ship for at least another week. If I were to add another bag, even in a separate transaction, Amazon would ship them together.
Lumping orders just general good practice reminder for everyone. Not specifically about your situation.

The small bags of dry foods I buy cost significantly more per pound than the larger sizes, Crave is reasonably priced for bag size -question withdrawn. ;)

3 months is about right. Im down to 7 weeks. Last article I read, supply chains are expected to be 40% delayed until late may.

...That article was before analysts realized Florida to be insane enough to keep beaches/businesses open for spring break. I think that's made all the models random guesses.

Last edited:

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chewy order arrived today 8 days after we placed the order. New Kong cat scratcher and a couple packages of calm chews for our ex-feral cat Lolli.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy order arrived today 8 days after we placed the order. New Kong cat scratcher and a couple packages of calm chews for our ex-feral cat Lolli.
I ordered directly through Wysong, took my order 15 days to arrive. 6days to send it out, took USPS 9 days to deliver it. I figured I wouldnt get it at all so pleasant surprise when I saw it

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get one of Neko-chan foods on Chewy 😕
I place an order with Chewy every month. It never occurred to me that people would hoard pet food like they are t.p.
My last order took 5 days to ship and it always takes 5 days to get to me. I keep a supply of food for the kitties as I
never know when I'll be snowed in, so it wasn't dire that I get the shipment as quickly as usual. I can't be upset that
people are thinking of their pets at this time as well as themselves.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Youtube channel idea,people washing cat urine out of sand! And another youtube channel of peoples reaction watching the firstyoutube channel!!! :hyper: what about flushing

(also, at least in the US, it is illegal to allow pet waste into the water table. Pooper scooper laws protect from just that, EPA and National Park Dept also has laws covering it...)
What about flushing the cat poop can you get introuble for doing that?