Coronavirus and my Cat

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can catch the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, and when kept in very close proximity, they can infect other cats. Do you need to social-distance from Fluffy?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got tested, the paper they gave me recommended I keep away, but that wasn't possible to me. I did put on a mask when they crawled into my lap just to be safe because they were extra close to me then.

(thankfully, I tested negative, hoping it wasn't a false negative!)

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean, I suppose if you have a positive test result/confirmed case of covid-19 yourself, it would be best to socially distance from your cat since it can cross between species. From what I can tell, the house cats that have had confirmed covid-19 cases so far have contracted it from their owner who has a positive case (I seem to remember one article reporting that the owner had been kissing and loving on their cat prior to receiving their covid test results which later came back positive, but I'll be darned if I can't find that article now)

This is definitely a case where it'd be helpful to have friends, neighbors, family members (or even if your vet clinic, if possible) that can board your cat until you recover (metaphorical 'you', not you specifically, OP)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When my niece and her family contracted Covid-19, the vet recommended they wear masks when interacting with their dogs and cats, keep their hands scrupulously clean, and not allow the pets to sleep with family members or sit on their laps for any length of time. Two of the dogs and one of the cats are elderly, but they were fine.

A friend who got it was advised to handle her cat, bunny, and guinea pigs as little as possible. She wore a mask when feeding them or cleaning cages and banished her cat from the bedroom. Keeping "Inge" off her lap proved impossible, so she wore a mask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How has your cat helped you cope withy covid?

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

charlie55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can catch the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, and when kept in very close proximity, they can infect other cats. Do you need to social-distance from Fluffy?
Just treat and take care how you take good care of yourself.

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is true, that the house cats that have had confirmed covid-19 cases so far have contracted it from their owner who has a positive case.