Corona Virus Now Spreading

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just found out that a neighbor, one door down, has Covid...

The tip off was she is keeping her trash outside the door... last night and this morning..
She is not a clean person, so I asked desk if there was a reason for this.. She is notorious for leaving her dinner outside her door, all night and sometimes into the next day...Not good for vermin...We are next to beach and wetlands.. We do have mice come in, periodically... YUCK!

I sprayed the corridor with Lysol.... Need to ask another neighbor to do it...

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Seems like there's a lack of testing everywhere now. People in my county were driving all the way to LA (which is like a 2 hour drive with no traffic) just to get any kind of test.
I read today on social media that the government here is thinking of giving clinically vulnerable people (which would be me!) free PCR tests in the post if tested positive, not sure if it will be official though.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Friends of mine flew out on Monday for their annual two months in Hawaii (must be nice, right?). They wore N95 masks all the way. Never took them off until they got to their rental. She emailed that on Wednesday, she felt like she'd been run over by a truck. Got tested. COVID...the Omicron variant. I'm sure her husband will get it, too, given how contagious it is. They both had Pfizer vaccinations and the Pfizer booster. I live in a large retirement community--more than 900 residents spread out over 600+ acres in two high rises and 400-some cottages. Ninety-eight percent of us have been vaccinated (Pfizer). Everyone here has been cautious, but four of my neighbors tested positive this week along with seven staff. Another 10 staff are in quarantine. :sigh: My husband and I aren't going anywhere without our KN95 masks and then only on our daily four-mile walk or to the grocery store.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most people are going to get it. The vaccine is holding up as far as preventing serious illnesses that put people in the ICU.
Me too. I've always said right since Coronavirus got bad here in the UK that eventually it'd be like the flu and would be a seasonal illness that we can be vaccinated against. I hope that's the case at least!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The annual COVID shot will be like the Flu shot. It will be tweaked each year and some years it will work better than other years. Alot of people who get the shot will still catch this like a lot of people who get the flu shot get the flu each year. The shot will help with the length and severity of the illness like the flu shot does.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Got another phone call last night.
Two more residents and two more employees with Covid.

I did not go to Mass again... just a bit too risky for me. From what I understand, more and more people are staying away. There is a mask request, and people are following it, at least in Church.
Everywhere else!! Man, I am so tired of the anti-maskers.... do not get me started on the
anti-vaxers

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a mask mandate in Ohio anymore. The legislature took care of that and overrode DeWine's veto. The places that I go most people do wear them. The vet's office does require a mask and only one person can come in unless it is for euthanasia. They did have the deal where owners stayed outside and talked to the vet over the phone while the exam was being done.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Masks were made mandatory here in England again just before Christmas though at the beginning of the new rules, people were casual about them and some businesses didn't mind if you didn't wear them even if you weren't exempt (I'm technically exempt, but wore mine for precaution). People are finally taking the measures more seriously here in London at least now Omicron is really starting to spike.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
The situation that we all have is really so exhausting. Many have already been affected also mentally, me included. My anxiety and panic attacks are getting worse. Imagine having to be stuck overseas for almost 3 years without seeing my own family, my children?

An officemate is confirmed to have been infected. Good thing she is already fully vaccinated and her symptoms are not that worse. It is her 6th day and seems she is getting better.

Again, you guys stay safe. Wear masks because masks do help. Stay at home as much as possible. Online grocery shopping is now the norm.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The situation that we all have is really so exhausting. Many have already been affected also mentally, me included. My anxiety and panic attacks are getting worse. Imagine having to be stuck overseas for almost 3 years without seeing my own family, my children?

An officemate is confirmed to have been infected. Good thing she is already fully vaccinated and her symptoms are not that worse. It is her 6th day and seems she is getting better.

Again, you guys stay safe. Wear masks because masks do help. Stay at home as much as possible. Online grocery shopping is now the norm.
That must be so hard, I can’t imagine. I have health anxiety so it has been a very long two years, and a sad one too.

I’m in line to get tested this morning. I have symptoms, but with my HA it’s so hard to determine what’s a symptom and what is just my head playing games. Since I’m around my parents, better safe than sorry. It’s a PCR, which is good for reliability but there’s a longer wait than there previously was. The vet school in town helps to process them so hopefully that speeds it up a bit, but it will still be a few days before I get results, hopefully good ones.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The annual COVID shot will be like the Flu shot. It will be tweaked each year and some years it will work better than other years. Alot of people who get the shot will still catch this like a lot of people who get the flu shot get the flu each year. The shot will help with the length and severity of the illness like the flu shot does.
I agree, but I think there are two problems with that. One, the virus is mutating so rapidly there's going to be multiple variants going around at a time and we have no efficient way to predict them as covid-19 is so new. With the flu they basically make a guess which strain it will be the year before, they don't have to worry about multiple flu(s). Additionally, there is a "flu season" right? Most people will get the flu in the winter. While it's possible to get it anytime of year, it's pretty unlikely to happen in the summer. With covid we're seeing peaks in winters and summers. So maybe two shots a year? Hopefully the US government will offer them for free because currently the flu shot is not. My partner missed the few free clinic dates that were open because of work and now we'd have to pay 50-70 dollars for one. Gotta love the healthcare here. 🙄

We don't have a mask mandate in Ohio anymore. The legislature took care of that and overrode DeWine's veto. The places that I go most people do wear them. The vet's office does require a mask and only one person can come in unless it is for euthanasia. They did have the deal where owners stayed outside and talked to the vet over the phone while the exam was being done.
My vet is the same way. No one can come in but she'll either call or come out to the car once she's done with the exams. When I went to the emergency vet last year they weren't even letting owners in for euthanasia! :(

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how many people have been killed in America by Omicron? When I try looking it up I'm getting the result that only one person has died. For the UK I'm only seeing a couple dozen? This cannot possibly be accurate with how full the hospitals currently are, right?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have health anxiety so it has been a very long two years, and a sad one too.
Hang in there. We have to be strong for the people who love us.

Does anyone know how many people have been killed in America by Omicron? When I try looking it up I'm getting the result that only one person has died. For the UK I'm only seeing a couple dozen? This cannot possibly be accurate with how full the hospitals currently are, right?
I have read somewhere that Omicron variant is not fatal. Not sure though. Nevertheless, it still is hard when one gets infected, especially those with health issues.

Stay safe.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is accurate (give or take a few). This variant doesn't seem to kill most people and getting admitted to the hospital doesn't necessarily mean that they are getting the full vent and what not and are on deaths door. I know of someone who did go to the hospital, they got some oxygen, were monitored for the day, then got discharged. They're better now, but it still counts as "someone in hospital with covid".
So far I can only find one death caused by Omicron here in Ontario. It was an "older adult", but they didn't provide any other information. During the time of that death (in that area), there were 5 other deaths, but they were all the Delta variant.
Although Omicron is becoming the dominant strain, Delta is still rearing it's ugly head.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think they are differentiating Omicron deaths from the basic Covid. Omicron is supposed to be a milder disease, to those who have been vaccinated.

This question was asked by one of the reporters, on the nightly news, to one of Boston;s Infectios disease doctor. He said it is would involved doing an intensive PCR test, looking at the genetic sub level of that specific specimen. They cannot do that for everyone. They had been doing it periodically to see if there are any other variants, present.
Just assuming: if you are vaccinated, and are sick/positive rapid, it is Omicron.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B Beholder - I found this article. It's just a small study that was done here in Ontario.
CityNews
This was taken from the article,
"The study looked at 6,312 Omicron cases and 8,875 Delta cases with an onset between Nov. 22 and Dec. 17 of this year. There were 21 hospitalizations and zero deaths recorded from the Omicron cases and 116 hospitalizations and seven deaths recorded from Delta."