Corona Virus Now Spreading

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cases going up here. I had a buddy get COVID, and he didn't tell anybody he had it. I found out by accident and now have to self-isolate. I've had two shots plus a booster. and so did my friend, but he still got a breakthrough case. I did get a test after I found out and am negative so far.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully you remain negative. Since you are vaccinated and have a booster if you are infected chances are very good it will be a mild illness.

Cases are creeping back up in Ohio. The new numbers come out at 2 p.m. There were 5,379 new cases. There were however only 140 new hospital admissions and 12 new ICU admissions. I really am beginning to think that a lot of the new infections are mild breakthrough infections. They don't break it out that way but with that many new infections it just seems like there would be more hospitalizations and ICU admissions.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've been jacking around with reporting of COVID cases in Michigan for some time. I think it makes it hard to compare older data to newer and make a determination of the COVID trends. We only report every other day and sometimes every third day. School reporting has changed, too. I don't think the breakout cases are separated here, either.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the latest Sanford hospital infographic for this area:
img_1_1637170306597.jpg

State records show 239 people hospitalized, so some must be at a non-Sanford hospital.

Plus there were 20 deaths this week, sadly. It's far from the peak but still way too many.

This state has almost reached 70% of people over 12 vaccinated.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we are still at 54% vaccinated. I work at a university and they have announced that anyone not vaccinated will be terminated December 8th unless they have an exemption.

I am getting my flu shot tomorrow and then will probably get my covid booster a few weeks after that.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Infections in both Ohio and Pennsylvania are rising again. Ohio has 60.26% of people 5 and older have started the vaccine and 55.56% have completed the vaccine. 1,250,766 have gotten the booster.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This COVID is somehow preventing me to visit my home country and my family for almost 3 years next summer. Our country is still experiencing an all time high in daily cases due to the lapses of those leading the health crisis. I am fully vaccinated, and so are my kids and nephews. But I still can't come home due to much higher expenses from plane fare, swab tests, to hotel quarantines both from origin and destination. And from where I am now, my country is still among in the red list. I lost my mother during the pandemic, as well as my biological father. Both I failed to come home and say my last respects. This has taken a lot of toll on most of us - emotionally, financially and even spiritually.

I do pray everyone here is safe and remain healthy. This is a battle that we all have to win.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stepdad's coworker is now in the hospital, intubated. My mom and stepdad weren't going to get their boosters, but this has made them reconsider, especially since his coworker is about the same age.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got mine. I had the Moderna vaccine for the first two, now they are allowing a mix and match. I wasn't going to get it because Moderna is a higher dose vaccine and I am concerned about messing up the immune system with over vaccinating. I then found out that the Moderna booster is a half dose so I got it. They are hoping that the booster dose will induce a longer lasting immunity so this becomes an annual thing rather than every six months. Moderna is working on a combination flu and COVID shot so COVID is just part of the flu shot every fall. I am hoping that is what this ultimately becomes.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A family friend has just had Coronavirus, and still hasn't got her senses of taste or smell back. She didn't have to go to hospital as it was luckily quite a mild case, but still has yet to recover her senses!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in assisted living and just found that a resident two doors down from me and someone on the staff has tested positive for Covid. We won't get the booster until Dec. 20. I was invited to my nephews house for Thanksgiving but won't go because his wife and 3 kids have not been vaccinated and I don't want to take a chance of giving the kids the virus.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I tested negative twice. Guess I'm in the clear.

About that taste and smell issue: One of the other tuba players in our community band got COVID back in 2020. Still hasn't gotten his senses of taste and smell back, either.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we are still at 54% vaccinated. I work at a university and they have announced that anyone not vaccinated will be terminated December 8th unless they have an exemption.

I am getting my flu shot tomorrow and then will probably get my covid booster a few weeks after that.
You can get them both together. My 92 year old father did and he was fine. We got our about 3 days apart.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my Moderna booster last Friday night, had the first two shots in a hospital and Covid center, this booster was at a local pharmacy, had no sore arm from the first two but this booster hurt pretty bad, don't know if that is just how it is or if this young pharmacist didn't do it too good, but the soreness has gone away. I actually felt a bit sick from the booster, fatigue, slight fever, muscle aches (upper back) and it seemed to have cranked up some symptoms from the rhinovirus that I had about a month ago. But it's also bad around here with the mold and the ever changing weather so sinus/allergies are always in play.

I was wondering how many breakthrough cases are in people that have all 3 shots? I see some on here saying they know of someone who still got it after the booster too, wow?!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see some on here saying they know of someone who still got it after the booster too, wow?!
Some people's bodies don't respond properly to vaccines, for whatever reason. It doesn't matter how many boosters they get, their body just won't make any antibodies. That's one reason it's important for others to get vaccinated, to protect the people whose bodies don't respond properly.

I was just informed that a young woman I know (about age 25, I think?) has double pneumonia from COVID. She's not currently in the hospital but is entirely miserable. I don't know if she's vaccinated or not.

2 of the 9 deaths reported yesterday were people in their 40s.

img_1_1637880689783.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Colin Powell was fully vaccinated. He hadn't yet got a booster when he got sick. He had a type of blood cancer that attacks the immune system. The day after he died I heard a doctor on the news say that people with that disease only have a 20 to 40% immunity after being fully vaccinated. People who have had transplants are on heavy duty immune system suppressants so their body doesn't reject the transplant, some of them have no immune response to the vaccines. There are also several autoimmune disorders like MS and the normal treatment for those are immune suppressant medications so they won't have a normal response to vaccines.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A nurse in her early 40s in my town died of covid complications about a week ago. Heart attack I guess. I assume she'd been vaccinated but she had gained a lot of weight recently and apparently a heavy drinker as well. She has young kids, I feel awful for them. Same age as my brother who refuses to get vaccinated at all. Cases are nuts here again, it's a very small town and 15-25 cases a day lately. I have my 3rd booster appt lined up for mid Dec.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a brief period in the Spring when cases were really low. We thought it was winding down but it came back. The cases haven't gotten up to the highest point earlier in the pandemic but they never get really low either. They just kind of bounce around in the 3 to 7 thousand new cases daily state wide.