Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think boosters will be mandated at least for a good long while. There are people who don't like that wealthy countries are providing boosters when there are poor countries that have vaccinated less than 10% of their population. They feel that all vaccines should go into vaccinating people in poor countries before giving boosters to people in wealthy countries. That will just add another layer of politicization to this.

The U.S. is sticking to people getting a booster that matches their first doses. I got the Moderna vaccine and they haven't been approved for boosters yet. The Moderna vaccine is holding up better then the Pfizer because it has a higher dose of the active ingredient. That is probably why it was a little more prone to side effects, usually just people feeling like they are coming down with the flu after the second shot. I was fortunate I only had the sore arm after both shots.

I am getting my flu shot and second shingles shot next weekend.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been giving 3rd dose pfizer vaccines (aka "boosters") & no negative reports so far, not even among our fragile patients.
Flu vaccine can be administered at the same time as covid & other vaccines. Latest data show no increase in reactions in multiple admissions.
Good news from one of our elders: although he tested positive for Covid, he was asymptomatic and his wife has remained negative. They got tested after exposure at their granddaughter's wedding a few weeks ago. They both received Pfizer. Some of the other attendees are very sick but none of them were vaccinated.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yet again, I have a useless limb hanging off my shoulder! LOL! I'm really tired but I also didn't sleep well because every time I moved in the night I woke up due to the pain in my arm. So I'm not sure if my fatigue is vaccine related or just lack of sleep. Probably a bit of both because I was quite fatigued and sluggish last evening/night as well. I also had a pretty decent headache last night, and still a bit of one today, but the weather has been terrible (cold, damp and rainy) all week, and I usually get pressure headaches with the fluctuating pressure systems (and have been), so again...unsure if it's the vaccine or just me.
So overall, I'm doing fine. No weird stuff and basically feeling like I expected to. Hubby is also fine, just a sore arm.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that Moderna is using a half dose for boosters. They haven't got approval yet. J&J is also doing booster trials and they got a big jump in immunity, better then the original shot. I think they probably should have been two shots to begin with.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post-vaccine care can include therapeutic doses of elderberry,.L-lysine,.zinc, probiotics, vitamin C, as well the usual recommended Tylenol and/or NSAIDs. The challenge in using supplements and herbs is getting the dosing right for each particular individual because diet and lifestyle contribute to amounts needed. At the very least, one should explore herbs & supplements just as they do pharmaceuticals. Medline has a link that doesn't require a subscription. If one's doctor isn't well-versed in herbology, there are holistic healers.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
At the very least, one should explore herbs & supplements just as they do pharmaceuticals. Medline has a link that doesn't require a subscription
Please be careful with herbs. I had a bad reaction to some ingredient in an
herbal hand cream. They are not regulated by FDA. Do your homework!!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My ex-dog groomer and her husband both came down with covid and now have a gofundme up as they are losing business. Mind, when my parents took their dogs there she told my father that "masks were ridiculous and didn't work" (our town had a mask mandate at the time, which she did not comply with) and that "covid wasn't real". It's surprising to me honestly that she didn't catch it before now.

I obviously don't wish her ill health, but I also would not be upset if her business struggled a bit - after the way she treated both my dog and my parents' dog she shouldn't be in business at all.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A friend of mine has a break through case which he got from the vaccinated mom of another friend…who caught it from an unvaccinated nephew. He’s still really sick although, thankfully, he’s improving. But he was posting on FB at 3 a.m. because he hasn’t slept more than 30 minutes at a time for days. And he says he no longer has patience for or will be understanding of people who choose not to get vaccinated or to wear a mask.

At the grocery store yesterday I saw three or four families not wearing masks. Gave them a very wide berth. They were trying very hard to not make eye contact with anyone because they were getting a lot of dirty looks.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Booster will be on Monday, the 25th plus Flu as well.

My county's cases keep rising. Since the middle of August, we've had a little over 4000 new cases.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my flu vaccine on Oct 2. I couldn't get the booster then because I had the Moderna vaccine for my first two shots and it hadn't been approved yet for boosters. I get the booster this coming Wednesday. I know Moderna had asked for a half dose booster so I am assuming that is what was approved.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting how different areas are dealing with vaccinations in general. In Germany, we have to have at least a 14 day gap between vaccinations. I had my booster (full dose BionTech) last week - reaction was local (sore arm), no raised temperature this time though I had a headache a day later - unusual but could have been caused by the weather, lack of fluids, ...... who knows? I have been booked for the pneumococci jab sometime in early November and then I'll be given an appointment for my flu vaccination. Normally I would have had that much earlier in August or September. GPs have simply been too busy with COVID.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you only get it at the GP? I got mine at a store pharmacy.

The FDA approved "mix and match":
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Takes Additional Actions on the Use of a Booster Dose for COVID-19 Vaccines
Vaccination centres were set up for COVID-19 but normally vaccinations are only given at surgeries or hospitals where there are sufficient facilities to deal with reactions. There is some talk about German pharmacies being allowed to give injections but it's not normal practice yet. My daughter, working at a pharmacy, can prepare the injections but she will definitely refuse to give them. She cannot tolerate the sight of blood (unless it's her own) and would have preferred to become a doctor, dentist or even a nurse had she not passed out whenever she saw someone bleed, even if it was only during dental work. Pharmacies have been testing people for COVID-19 infections. She was not willing to stick swabs up people's noses either but her boss found other volunteers for that job.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I got my (Pfizer) booster on Wednesday and the flu vaccine yesterday (Friday). Different arms! :) I had almost no reaction to either. The booster gave me a bit of a sore arm for about 24 hours. The flu shot arm was slightly tender last night, but that's it. Usually, with the flu shot my arm gets a little swollen and warm and is sore for several days. And I was expecting a headache. But nothing. Whew!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most vaccines in the U.S. for people with no serious health issues are now given at a pharmacy. I go to the same chain for all of mine so a record is in one place. They have the EPI pens there for allergic reactions. They still have someone who had a reaction transported by ambulance to a hospital to be checked out by a doctor. Someone with a history of reactions go to a doctor's office or hospital clinic for vaccinations.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Corona-Warn-App sent me a red alert warning yesterday evening. Evidently on the previous day I had been in contact with an infected person. I have been vaccinated, had a good supply of antibodies even before my booster, so am not too worried about my own health. But, today I was looking forward to a (long overdue) appointment at the hairdressers. My doctor said so long as I have no symptoms I could ignore the warning.
But, I am worried about passing the virus on, so phoned the hairdresser first thing this morning and explained the situation. The manager was more relieved that I'd decided to keep away from his establishment than upset that I'd cancelled.
I'll just have to chop off my own hair. 💇‍♀️
Although I was working at the surgery on the day in question, I have less contact with patients than the other staff members and no one else received a warning. Apart from that, I had to feed the cats at the feeding station, but met nobody there. I hardly spoke to any of the delivery men and women so the culprit must have been my windowcleaner - he seemed unusually keen to get away. Perhaps he had a bad conscience, poor man.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Corona-Warn-App sent me a red alert warning yesterday evening. Evidently on the previous day I had been in contact with an infected person. I have been vaccinated, had a good supply of antibodies even before my booster, so am not too worried about my own health. But, today I was looking forward to a (long overdue) appointment at the hairdressers. My doctor said so long as I have no symptoms I could ignore the warning.
But, I am worried about passing the virus on, so phoned the hairdresser first thing this morning and explained the situation. The manager was more relieved that I'd decided to keep away from his establishment than upset that I'd cancelled.
I'll just have to chop off my own hair. 💇‍♀️
Although I was working at the surgery on the day in question, I have less contact with patients than the other staff members and no one else received a warning. Apart from that, I had to feed the cats at the feeding station, but met nobody there. I hardly spoke to any of the delivery men and women so the culprit must have been my windowcleaner - he seemed unusually keen to get away. Perhaps he had a bad conscience, poor man.
Update: it's been a week since I was in contact with someone (I'm sure it must have been the windowcleaner) with COVID-19. So I've been avoiding having close contact with anyone for more than a few minutes and only then with mask. This morning I went to a surgery to have the most reliable and official test available here: the PCR-Test. It's not a quick test but it's necessary if you want to work in certain areas. I have just received the result on my phone: negative! So I can do my shopping tomorrow, take the foster mama-cat to the vet to be spayed on Friday, visit old people in the care home and go to work on Monday with a clear conscience.
I'll make a new appointment with the hairdresser tomorrow! :yess:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Update: it's been a week since I was in contact with someone (I'm sure it must have been the windowcleaner) with COVID-19. So I've been avoiding having close contact with anyone for more than a few minutes and only then with mask. This morning I went to a surgery to have the most reliable and official test available here: the PCR-Test. It's not a quick test but it's necessary if you want to work in certain areas. I have just received the result on my phone: negative! So I can do my shopping tomorrow, take the foster mama-cat to the vet to be spayed on Friday, visit old people in the care home and go to work on Monday with a clear conscience.
I'll make a new appointment with the hairdresser tomorrow! :yess:
Yay! What a relief for you! :woo:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that you are negative. Cases are down here but they still aren't down to where the lows were before. I wonder if the numbers are at least partly due to a combination of breakthrough infections and availability of tests. I don't know what percentage of these cases are very mild and people are getting tested, show up in the numbers but do not get seriously ill. It is good that people know so they isolate to contain the spread but it does mean that the numbers mean something different than they used to.