Corona Virus Now Spreading

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my husband and I both have covid. He's been feeling off since Sunday, got tested Wednesday and results back yesterday. I started feeling a little congested and sneezing quite a bit yesterday, went and got a rapid PCR done today so I could get results quickly. I had taken off from Wed on once he got sick because several people that were around his boss were all ill and it seemed likely covid to me then. He's been miserable all week, achy, tight chest, coughing a little. Now he's sleeping a lot. I'm hoping mine doesn't get much worse. We were both vaccinated in April, I had pzifer, he had Moderna.
So sorry. I hope it passes quickly.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we are where I live. There was even a mask burning event in the next County over when the mandate was lifted a few months ago.
Very shortsighted if you ask me. Masks do help prevent the spread. Are they uncomfortable? Sure, but you get used to them. I'd rather wear a mask than take a chance of getting/spreading this virus. ICU beds are filling up and taking space away from people who need them for other reasons (heart attacks, strokes, etc.)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we have a 'person' in the building who does not listen to any of the rules. She just does what she wants to do, irregardless of them..

She is a big mouth, threatening person. I hear they are trying to get rid of her.. she is 'on the borderline'...
She was officially given a printout of ALL the rules, by property management.

Anyway, this one, sits all day, in the lobby, without a mask.. She claims she has a doctors not which states that she does not have to wear one, due to breathing issues.. There is nothing wrong with her.. You should see her...

She also claims her emotional support dog, is a full fledged 'service' dog... and can go anywhere she wants him to.. including dining room, on furniture, etc....
.. no way.. she adopted him from a rescue....

We also have another one who screamed at me, when I told her to wear her mask.. She said she is tired of it and will not wear it! and will not talk to me anymore.. I was happy with that last remark... but, guess who is now wearing a mask?????

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I am still congested but that's the worst of it for me so far, my husband is feeling quite a bit better and regaining his taste, hearing and smell. However my Bengal is now sick, she has been sneezing, coughing hard, is lethargic and not very interested in food, super congested. This morning she coughed up some bloody goo and I called the vet, got her scheduled for an emergency visit tomorrow morning. I'm really hoping she's going to be ok but am pretty stressed out.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an update this morning that two more students have tested positive at my youngest's high school. That makes 3 so far and school just started August 31st.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our county had two more deaths and 100+ new cases this week. It's held steady, the lowest weekly update we've had since the beginning of July was 65.

Our local school district is doing reasonably well I think, but they required masks from the start to the anger of many people.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will continue to get worse if people are not vaccinated. It has been proven without a doubt it almost ALWAYS avoids death and hospitalization, this should be enough. Sure you still might get it, no vaccine is 100% effective, but it is MUCH milder. this is just like the people who don't get their kids vaccinated against mumps and measles, and then cry when they go deaf or even die. Masks do nothing to help you avoid getting the flu, the particles are too small. But it does CUT DOWN on spreading it by containing a lot of the virus. But it is not very good at stopping it all.....we will continue to see variants too, that is normal with any flu. Washing your hands often does MUCH more on the transmitting of all viruses. I feel for the younger children who can't get the vaccination, but they are much less prone to serious complications too.
There will always be deaths with any flu or illness. Almost every one of the deaths now is with unvaccinated people, if they choose not to get the vaccination, so be it, they have to also accept the consequences, Which include overburdening our medical professionals and our hospitals. Let people choose what they want. The ones who are unvaccinated can stay home and take more precautions. it's their choice, but don't force masks and the closing of businesses on everyone else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if they choose not to get the vaccination, so be it, they have to also accept the consequences, Which include overburdening our medical professionals and our hospitals.
If it only affected them, sure. But people who are injured or have non-COVID illnesses are unable to get an ICU bed at some hospitals, which has led to some unnecessary deaths.
The ones who are unvaccinated can stay home and take more precautions.
But they don't :/. They go to the grocery store and cough on the produce, or go to concerts, fairs, malls, etc. all over the place.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last number of new infections I have seen for Ohio was 7,900 on Thursday, we haven't peaked yet. Ohio currently has 62% of those 12 and over have started the vaccine and 57% have completed it. It is inching up slowly. There is usually around 9 or 10 thousand a day who have either started or completed the vaccine.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The father of one of my Facebook friends passed away this weekend. He was in his 50s but not vaccinated and I believe was also anti-vax as well (not sure about his family but many have been in and out of the hospital with covid so I'm guessing they are as well). It just sounded like such an awful way to go - he was on a ventilator for most of it and had four tracheostomies because apparently they couldn't get them to work right. He was in a local hospital because he was too unstable to move but eventually they did move him to KC where he passed pretty quickly.

It's just so sad. Hopefully it motivates his family to get vaccinated but I doubt they will.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is actually hardest on the family because they can't be with them. I think by the time they get to the point of being put on a ventilator they have been sedated and are kept sedated.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local hospital system posted this infographic. While the vaccines aren't 100% effective against the Delta strain, it does show a strong protective effect, really very encouraging.

img_1_1631716588418.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read an article about vaccinated people with COVID who are hospitalized. It said that the numbers could be misleading. They check everyone for COVID when hospitalized. They found that some people in those numbers are actually asymptomatic or have very mild COVID symptoms. They were hospitalized for something else, found to have the Coronavirus so they became part of that number. Some people also had major underlying conditions and were hospitalized out of an abundance of caution. That probably doesn't account for people on ventilators but it certainly could account for some of the others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read an article about vaccinated people with COVID who are hospitalized. It said that the numbers could be misleading. They check everyone for COVID when hospitalized. They found that some people in those numbers are actually asymptomatic or have very mild COVID symptoms. They were hospitalized for something else, found to have the Coronavirus so they became part of that number. Some people also had major underlying conditions and were hospitalized out of an abundance of caution. That probably doesn't account for people on ventilators but it certainly could account for some of the others.
That's a good point. They had my aunt get tested before she had a procedure done, so that very well could account for some of them. They also didn't say their ages, or if they're immune-compromised.