Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They offer people who come in through checkpoints vaccines but 1/3 are refusing. The testing is very spotty but there is a significant rise in the positives. The ones who do get vaccinated aren't around for the second shot so who knows if they follow through.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a senior independent apartment building we have seniors of all ages and disabilities. We got our fist Pfizer shot at the end of Jan. Second dose a couple weeks later.
We have had 95% compliance with residents.

Over the weekend, we were informed of a breakthrough infection in one resident. They are in the hospital.

I am now wearing a mask when I leave my apartment.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My county had 165 new cases today, and four more people died. Three were vaccinated - they were in their 80s but still. I don’t know how many are in the hospital, but there are several, with a chunk in the ICU.

It’s concerning. We are supposed to start phasing back into the office next week but this is just alarming. And I think people are just fine with the pandemic so they are like “whatever happens happens”.

I will say it’s getting hard not to give into my health anxiety and think everything is a covid symptom. I have a slight sore throat now, probably from the smoke and home renovation, but it’s making me scrutinize the like three times I’ve left the house in the past couple of weeks.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard pfizer has said a third shot will significantly boost immunity against the delta variant. No news on when a third shot may be available, but I will be in line when one shows up. Meanwhile, I'm masking. I've made it this far, I don't want to screw up and start running around with out a mask and end up being one of the breakthrough cases (no vaccine is 100% effective for everyone).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get a 3rd dose immediately, if someone wanted to. They could go somewhere other than where they went the first time and just claim they haven't been vaccinated yet. I'm pretty sure nobody is keeping track. Just pop by a Walmart pharmacy and you'd be set.

I haven't started wearing a mask again, but this part of the state is considered "substantial community transmission" so I guess I should think about it. Ugh, wearing a mask in the summer is so much worse than in the winter.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I started wearing a mask again this past weekend. My husband didn’t, but I think he will now. We’re headed to Costco today, and it’s always crowded. Our county has a low vaccination rate of 44%.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Other countries like Russia and Israel (60 and older) are already providing boosters.

Pfizer said they will be submitting an application for Emergency Use Authorization of a Booster to the FDA.
Basically they are starting the paperwork for the process of review.
They know that in 20 to 55 year olds it improved vax response to the Delta variant.
In their testing in over 55 year olds it increased even more.

Pfizer also said they are hopeful to release data on 5 to 12 year olds by end of Sept 2021.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw a headline that Pfizer says immunity to their vaccine drops to 83% after four months. Of course they are wanting to sell as much vaccine as possible. If true the same is probably true of Moderna. The only way this thing is going to get tamped down is if the vast majority of people are at the height of immunity at the same time, I don't think that is even possible.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
or maybe just mask up to
We’re doing that now. If infectious disease experts say they’re masking up to go out, then it seems like the prudent thing for us to do.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have mask mandates here in Ontario, not sure when they'll be lifted....
In my city and surrounding districts we currently have 7 active cases, no new cases reported for a few days now.
My province has just over 1400 active cases...and it seems we're trending between (approx) 150-200 cases a day lately...
Things have opened up pretty well, and gatherings are allowed...other than masks and social distancing...things don't feel very restrictive...at least for me anyway.
We (all of Ontario) are also sitting at just over 81% of adults (18 and over) vaccinated with one dose and 70% fully vaccinated. As for kids (12-17) we're sitting at 66% for one dose and 45% fully vaccinated. Haven't had approval yet for kids under 12.
My city has a higher vaccination rate than the province as a whole.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm finally on holidays, so I'm hoping to get my vaccine this week...I postponed for a few reasons but one of the big ones is I didn't want to have to call in sick at work if I had any symptoms that prevented me from doing my job.

For those of you who received their vaccine AND experienced symptoms/side-effects...

How long after the shot did you start with a sore arm?
How long after the shot did you start with "flu like symptoms" ei: fatigue, fever....overall crappyness.
Was it a few hours? next day?
I know everyone is different but I'm a planner and just want to be prepared.....hopefully it will all be for not...but still.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sore arm started within an hour for me! Lasted a couple days. That was my main symptom after the first shot, and a slight headache. I didn't get too bad of symptoms after the second shot, but that one hit me harder. That happened the next day. I thought I was in the clear and over exerted myself.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got back from my birthday weekend and my anxiety is about 200%. I was anxious all weekend (went hiking with friends and my dog) and upon coming back just got so afraid that I had caught covid and was going to spread it or get really sick. There was a lot of smoke, which I'm sure is contributing to my runny nose and slightly aggravated throat, but I am constantly smelling things and wondering if they smell the way they are supposed to or if I am losing that. I am getting tested tomorrow at a drive through site and am just not coping well.

Jem, I had two vaccines (Moderna). The first one I just had a sore arm. The second I woke up the next morning with flu-like symptoms. I was tired, felt sort of achy and crummy, and ran a fever of about 100. I had a fever for about a day, felt run down for a few days after and then I was fine. I was kind of expecting it based on other stories and the fact that I usually have an immune reaction to the flu vaccine.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem First, I think I may have had an early version of CoVID in the last parts of 2019. It was like walking pnuemonia for 6 weeks. I picked it up from a friend that caught it in early Oct when flying back from a business trip in China.

I had Pfizer shots quick and easy. However, I forgot to rub my arm a few times during the next 24 hours. That has always seemed to help me with flu shots. So I got just a little sore arm that lasted two days. I did see my temp elevate after the second shot, as it went from 97.2 degrees to 98.0 degrees. That is far below having a fever. No other symptoms from either shot.

Last edited:
  • Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sore arm started within an hour for me!
Woah, that was fast....I wonder if it's due to possible dehydration (I'm assuming your breast feeding)....I've heard it's hard to keep up with fluids when your feeding. They say you're less likely to have a "bad" sore arm (as well as the other symptoms) if you're hydrated enough...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bear bear - how long after the shot did they kick in?

I to think I had it back in March of 2020...which is another reason I'm preparing for increased symptoms...even for a first shot.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For those of you who received their vaccine AND experienced symptoms/side-effects...
I had Pfizer for both shots. Both times just a sore arm. The sore arm started about 8 hours after I got the shot. By the 2nd morning after the shot, it was back to normal.

Most of the people I know, didn't have have any reaction, other than the sore arm. One, though, in her 60's had a bit of a rough time. Others, even teens, only had the sore arm. So everyone's experience is different, and doesn't seem to be connected to their age.

Good luck. Hopefully any reaction you get will be mild, but it will be well worth it, knowing you're starting to build immunity.

• Purraise

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe three to four hours before I noticed it.
Overall minor for me. Rub the arm and maybe stretch/flex it to get the blood to flow and it subsides.

• Purraise