Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sanford Health has decided to mandate vaccinations for all employees. They have to be vaccinated by Nov 1st. They said 70% of nurses are already vaccinated, and I assume the other 30% will be difficult about it so it could get interesting.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
" they didn't want people who weren't vaccinated to be obvious and possibly targeted "

Personally, I don't see this as a problem.
Nobody I know of believes most the anti-masker/anti-vaxxers are wearing masks.
There are vax'd people, like myself still wearing masks.
I appreciate our folks who wore masks some for 18 months at work. As long as they are wearing them inside, I will have one on too.
I usually assume most of the unmasked are also unvaccinated. I am fully vaccinated and still masking, and also staying distant even when I know all other parties are fully masked. This pandemic is not over and will never be over as long as doing what is needed to stop it isn't being done. Each variant is going to be worse.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And then what I see in comment sections from unvaccinated people is "if you trust your vaccine you shouldn't need me to get it"

I don't engage, but think "yeah, except my 6 month old isn't vaccinated yet"

People exhaust me sometimes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anti-vaxxers have always used that argument. Something along the lines of I am the one at risk you have no risk so leave me alone. It isn't just kids. There are adults with legitimate medical reasons and can't get vaccinated. There are also people on strong immunosuppressant medications and their immune system generated a very weak response to the vaccine, some generated no response. I read about one transplant recipient who got both shots of one of the mRNA vaccines and had no antibodies. She got the J&J vaccine and still no antibodies. Everyone who can be vaccinated getting vaccinated will help protect that segment of the population.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is an even better clip of Alabama's governor. She said people are supposed to have common sense and it is time to say this is the fault of people who won't get vaccinated.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that those of us who can get vaccinated should to protect the people with true medical issues that can’t get vaccinated and the children and babies that can’t get vaccinated. I hope that nursing infants get immunity from their vaccinated moms. I have older children that don’t yet meet the age guidelines for the vaccine and it worries me.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to read this. I guess a lot of will be getting a third shot. Back to masks.
Biden Officials Now Expect Vulnerable Americans to Need Booster Shots
I could not read the article; however, I have been expecting a booster shot, bu the end of the year. Now, I am thinking it may be sooner rather than later.

I hate to say this but with all the anti-vexers, it seems that masks and Covid Vaccines will be a future fact of life, for the future.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last I heard it would be those 65 and over as well as those with compromised immune systems. The government bought more doses from Pfizer and Pfizer is working on beefing up the vaccines for current known variants. With it just being one shot appointments will be easier to get. What made it hard when I made mine was needing to make both appointments at the same time. I would find an appointment for the first shot but there was no appt available for the second. This will be those of us trying to make appointments when there was a big rush to try to get vaccinated.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The last I heard it would be those 65 and over as well as those with compromised immune systems. The government bought more doses from Pfizer and Pfizer is working on beefing up the vaccines for current known variants. With it just being one shot appointments will be easier to get. What made it hard when I made mine was needing to make both appointments at the same time. I would find an appointment for the first shot but there was no appt available for the second. This will be those of us trying to make appointments when there was a big rush to try to get vaccinated.
Denice, when do you think they'll have the third shot available?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also couldn't read the article, and am not over 65, but is it only Pfizer so far, or also Moderna?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The government is supposed to get the doses at the end of the year. Moderna was also working on variants and boosters. Don't hear much about them anymore it is all Pfizer. What I have read is that the booster will be interchangeable. I got the Modern vaccine but I could get the Pfizer booster.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I have read is that the booster will be interchangeable. I got the Modern vaccine but I could get the Pfizer booster.
Here in Canada they are actually allowing the mixing of vaccines for first and second shot. They aren't "encouraging" it per se, but are telling people not to hold out or vaccine shop and that it's safe to get whatever one is available...Their focus is getting people double vaxxed quickly.
In the beginning we were also immunizing with the Astra Zeneca, but then they pulled it, so all those people who got the AZ for their first shot had no choice but to get something else for their second.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked up Moderna out of curiosity they are in Europe. Europe just approved them for teenagers. The U.S. is also shipping 3 1/2 million doses to Columbia. Even Kroger where I got mine is now giving Pfizer instead of Moderna.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could not read the article; however, I have been expecting a booster shot, bu the end of the year. Now, I am thinking it may be sooner rather than later.

I hate to say this but with all the anti-vexers, it seems that masks and Covid Vaccines will be a future fact of life, for the future.
My concern is that variants are going to continue, and they are just going to get worse. Delta isn't more deadly, but it is more transmissible. What's to say the next variant won't be more transmissible and more deadly? And what happens when there is a variant that the vaccine isn't effective against?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio had 1300 new infections yesterday. People in the U.S. have this tendency to think that they have the right to do or not do what they want as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. The problem is the unvaccinated are hurting everyone else including those who are vaccinated. As long as this virus can circulate freely it will spin off variants. Somewhere a variant will come up that the vaccinations are not as effective against and everyone will be back to square one. That is why wealthy countries have been pushed so hard to donate vaccinations to the developing nations, it is in their interest to stop the variants from spinning off.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ohio had 1300 new infections yesterday.
Oregon had 984 yesterday, but Ohio has two-and-a-half times as many people so we’re doing worse. And we’re the only state in the country that has an actual law that prohibits employers from requiring health care workers to get vaccinated. Unbelievable. :headshake:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My concern is that variants are going to continue, and they are just going to get worse. Delta isn't more deadly, but it is more transmissible. What's to say the next variant won't be more transmissible and more deadly? And what happens when there is a variant that the vaccine isn't effective against?
There is a variant from South America, also. It has been ravaging those central American and South American countries. It is slowly entering the US. It was called the "Lima" variant. I do not know what the new classification will be.

They are predicting it to be here soon, as it is in a few southern states, like Texas.

As long as there are unvaccinated there will continue to be variants..

I really feel that a yearly Covid Booster will be needed; like a flu shot.

I do not see how some people say they can combine the flu shot and the Covid Booster into one shot. They are 2 different types of vaccinations. The flu one is a live virus; whereas the Covid one is a mRNA one..

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2021 Jul 1 Russia called for booster shots for those vax'd or having the disease 6 months earlier.
Russia launches booster shots amid soaring infections (apnews.com)

In addition to the Delta variants the Gamma variant from Brazil is now in Russia and spreading.

Note: Russia has two CoV-SARS-2 vaccines developed in their country. They differ from those used in U.S.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a variant from South America, also. It has been ravaging those central American and South American countries. It is slowly entering the US. It was called the "Lima" variant. I do not know what the new classification will be.

They are predicting it to be here soon, as it is in a few southern states, like Texas.
That one is 100% a failure on the part of the federal government. They know perfectly well hundreds of people with covid are coming into the US every day from those countries and then dispersing through the US, yet they do nothing but dodge the issue and play pass the buck. I wonder how many of the people coming in are vaccinated?