Corona Virus Now Spreading

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In about March 2020, they figured out that one or more of the medications older male patients were on was helping to reduce the extreme cytokine storms.
I just read the other day....well sort of...I didn't have time to read the whole thing...an article that a common blood thinner helped lessen complications. I did not go too deep into research yet to see if those who are already on them or perhaps take a "low dose" aspirin have lesser chance of developing more severe cases, but if you have a moderate to severe case, using them for treatment helps. Makes sense considering blood clots can form due to the illness. But I'm curious as to what else the blood thinners do when it comes to preventing worsening of the disease....does it help with the cytokine storm? The inflammation of the blood vessels? Have you looked into that at all?

It's funny because when blood clots were becoming more common, even in "asymptomatic" cases, I was wondering if people were going to start hoarding aspirin...

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am South of Los Angeles County, so not directly involved with tonight's return of mask mandates at midnight for indoor activities.
However with the Delta Variant spreading so fast, I did pick up a fresh supply of masks Thursday.
I also picked up 90 days on each med and will pick up 90 days on refrigerated RX Monday.
I have had more than two years 81 and 325 Aspirins on hand already.
I also am on Aspirin and blood thinners (Clopidogrel).

Here is a link to an earlier Clinical Trial Registration with NIH.
It includes ASA (Aspirin), Clopidogrel (Plavix) as blood thinners and also has Atorvastatin (Lipitor) for cholesterol control.
Note that there are no released results that I could find.
Preventing Cardiac Complication of COVID-19 Disease With Early Acute Coronary Syndrome Therapy: A Randomised Controlled Trial. - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about blood thinners and cytokine.
Yet inflammation is an immune system response.
ASA (Aspirin) helps thin the blood, yet it also helps reduce inflammation like my arthritis (old guy shoulder stuff).
Clopedogrel (Plavix) thins the blood, yet works more as an anti-sticky.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard that LA is reinstituting the indoor mask mandate. They said that they didn't want to put employees in the position of having to check for vaccine status and they didn't want people who weren't vaccinated to be obvious and possibly targeted. I was surprised that LA's vaccination percentage was around 50%, I thought their percentage would be higher.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LA vaccination % is 69% for both shots for 16 yo and older..
Still need to get those 2nd shots into arms.

If you have seen 50%, possibly that is including under 16 years of age.

Motivation to remask is more related to the sudden increases in cases (210% in 2 weeks). Almost all of which are in the unvaccinated.

LA County COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboard - LA County Department of Public Health
Select to Report By Age Group

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a UK summary in link below. It suggests some anti-coagulant products were stopped as a treatment.
Could an everyday drug stop dangerous Covid complications? | BHF

Aspirin and Clopedogrel are not anti-coagulant.

NIH released similar statements about the same time.
Full-dose blood thinners decreased need for life support and improved outcome in hospitalized COVID-19 patients | National Institutes of Health (NIH)
My dad was put on clopidogrel and ended up crapping blood, then found out that was a side effect of the medication.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
" they didn't want people who weren't vaccinated to be obvious and possibly targeted "

Personally, I don't see this as a problem.
Nobody I know of believes most the anti-masker/anti-vaxxers are wearing masks.
There are vax'd people, like myself still wearing masks.
I appreciate our folks who wore masks some for 18 months at work. As long as they are wearing them inside, I will have one on too.

Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad was put on clopidogrel and ended up crapping blood, then found out that was a side effect of the medication.
I hope your Dad got checked. That can also be a sign of blood loss from other sources, like digestive tract cancer and ulcers.

I always have large hematomas under the skin from capillary leakage.
When I go up in the space ship to get probed (colonoscopy) or have surgery, I negotiate with the Docs in advance about how many days I will be off Clopedigrel.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think KS is still around 40% vaccinated and I think we'll likely stay that way as it seems everyone who wanted to get the vaccine already has.

I'm supposed to go back into the office in early August and I am absolutely dreading it. I really think things are going to get worse. Our county is at 120 new infections last week and that is crazy high. We were under 10 for a long time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last report for Ohio is 744 cases, we were down around 300. We actually dipped below 300 before the number of cases started rising again. The death rate is still very low but that is a lagging number.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I ahve not stopped wearing a mask at stores, all inside places. Not going out to eat.
The mask is off when outside, and in this building since I know it is still strict.

I still keep the social distance.

The numbers are rising. It is enough to begin getting concerned. I am not the only one.Yesterday, We were playing bocce, in an outdoor court; and all of us feel the same way.

My building is offering Covid testing today. I am taking advantage of it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew who is vaccinated just came down with a mild case of Covid. He is in the army and had to get the vaccine. His wife who is an anti-vaxxer refused the vaccine and his oldest daughter also came down with Covid. They have 3 more kids still living at home which are not vaccinated. Somehow I can't feel sorry for his wife who refused to get the kids vaccinated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything like this goes through a military unit, even people who don't live in the barracks. There is no way to maintain anything resembling social distancing. When I was in they required active duty members to stay up with vaccinations including flu shots but they couldn't do that with dependents. Some places overseas required vaccinations but that was the State department that required them for travel and some countries required certain vaccinations to live in those countries. It wasn't the Army requiring them for dependents.