Corona Virus Now Spreading

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it's from the vaccine but I have noticed I am warmer now. Normally I am always freezing and wear a hoodie. Now I am usually comfortable without a hoodie or actually sweat doing things that shouldn't make me break that much of a sweat. I run the ceiling fans more now than I have in the last 24 years!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now Kroger is having 5 weekly drawings. That is where I got vaccinated so I entered that one. Each week they are drawing for one prize that is a million dollars and 10 groceries for life prizes. I went to Kroger this morning and they are now doing walk in COVID vaccinations, that is also how they do flu shots. With all of this emphasis on producing COVID vaccine I wonder if there will be a shortage of flu vaccine? They had that problem in some areas last fall because of increased demand.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worked most of the last 35 years for brick and mortar retail companies at their headquarters.
Therefore, I received influenza vaccines in about late Sep or early Oct.
You need to improve your chances of being available for holidays to support customers.

Now that I am retired and defined as a senior, I am given the Quadrivalent Influenza vaccine which includes 2 A strain and 2 B strain variants. These are usually given shortly after the medical personnel receive theirs, so normally Sep. The Quadrivalent targets four mutations, rather than just the three of the normal Trivalent shot. GP/Internist have told me to anticipate moving to two Quadrivalent Flu Vax annually. This allows the manufacturer to adjust the second vax based on what is occurring from July through December. They anticipate a Feb through May injection time for this second vax.

Last edited:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish Kansas would do some drawings. Maybe they will.

They did currently offer some incentives, but they are all NASCAR related so probably sponsored. Tickets to a race and the big prize being that you can do a ride along.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a map of Ohio counties with their vaccinated percentage. Holmes county is only 13%. That county is the center of the Amish community in Ohio, it wasn't that long ago they had a measles outbreak. I know the Amish are a very insular community but I still think that is selfish. There are people with legitimate medical reasons for not being vaccinated. Some people who are taking immunosuppressant medications didn't generate the immune response to the vaccination even with a third shot. Those people have no choice but to depend on a large percentage of people getting vaccinated to protect them.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the Amish are a very insular community but I still think that is selfish
I feel the same way, Denice. The accidents that are caused by them, not all are their fault, but
a lot are because they insist on driving buggies on roads that people are allowed to drive vehicles
50mph.. I didn't know about the measles outbreak

About 20 more cases here in Medina county and 1 more death.

Wish me luck in the VaxxiMillion drawing tomorrow!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I so agree.I just washed mine
Yes, best is to wear 4-ply surgical disposable mask and in your country you have cooler weather than ours so you don't feel so hot wearing a 4-ply surgical disposable mask.

To test if it is a good disposable mask is to trickle water on the outside and see if water repels off the surface like water on he duck's back and if does, this is best for protection.

Washable masks are not that safe.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, best is to wear 4-ply surgical disposable mask and in your country you have cooler weather than ours so you don't feel so hot wearing a 4-ply surgical disposable mask.

To test if it is a good disposable mask is to trickle water on the outside and see if water repels off the surface like water on he duck's back and if does, this is best for protection.

Washable masks are not that safe.
Thank you, I'll try that.

Are you in the medical profession?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the people in my County and the County next to us ditched the masks so quickly once we got the ok is because minus when it first started last year, we haven't seen many cases since. I don't go to a lot of stores but all the ones I've been to have been "mask optional". The only time I wear one is when I roam the halls at work (in another state) and even at work, it seems that mask wearing is optional.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only been wearing a mask when it seems like it's the socially acceptable thing to do. Otherwise I've decided to trust the vaccine. . .so far the variants that have been found in this area are covered by the vaccine.

Plus vaccines usually work better if you actually are exposed to the disease fairly soon after being vaccinated (after you've built up a good immune response). Helps your body remember how to fight it.

There are currently 242 active cases in the state, 40 hospitalizations. New-person positivity rate is down to 2.2%. 49.94% of residents over age 12 have completed their vaccine series, 55.12% have had at least one dose. So I think it's going pretty well locally, could be better though. Not sure we'll get to "75% by the 4th of July".

My niece and nephew (ages 13 and 15) had their first doses. Still working on my mom :rolleyes2:. Not sure if my brothers have or not.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see a large white ship offshore, about 25 miles out. It looks to be a cruise liner. That would be the first that I have seen for over a year.
Not sure that it has passengers. It might be a trial run to help train new personnel or relocating for maintenance. It looks like the LA to Catalina to Mexico course.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are you in the medical profession?
No, I’m not. It’s that since the pandemic, masks is a hot item and many jumped on the bandwagon to produce masks.

As the virus airborne and is spread through water droplets when one sneezes or talk, saliva is spewed out and if the mask you are wearing does not repel vapor, it means it’ll absorb it and you’ll be breathing in the virus.

So cloth masks, in my opinion does not protect. It may look nice and pretty with all the design but it’s useless to say.

To stay safe, wear a proper mask and wear it properly.

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I see a large white ship offshore, about 25 miles out. It looks to be a cruise liner. That would be the first that I have seen for over a year.
Not sure that it has passengers. It might be a trial run to help train new personnel or relocating for maintenance. It looks like the LA to Catalina to Mexico course.
I guess some things are getting back to normal. You can see the ship from your home?

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am about 1 mile onshore and about 500 feet high.
I can not always see 25 miles offshore, due to weather. Yet Catalina Island is about 26 miles away and I see it some parts of the day most days.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am about 1 mile onshore and about 500 feet high.
I can not always see 25 miles offshore, due to weather. Yet Catalina Island is about 26 miles away and I see it some parts of the day most days.
Ah....wonderful view!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cloth mask that has a pocket on the inside where I have an N95.

I've been wearing masks just because it seems like the thing to do, but in July I'll be going on a bachlorette party trip with friends. I'll bring my mask and my vaccination card but honestly will have to trust the vaccine a lot as well.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cloth mask that has a pocket on the inside where I have an N95.

I've been wearing masks just because it seems like the thing to do, but in July I'll be going on a bachlorette party trip with friends. I'll bring my mask and my vaccination card but honestly will have to trust the vaccine a lot as well.
I took a picture of my vaccine card and put it in a private album on my phone. I think it was LTS3 LTS3 that suggested that? So I don't have to carry my card around but can prove my status if need be.

I'm in a weird spot because I trust I won't get very sick, but am still worried about passing it on to the baby, despite her likely getting some antibodies from me. I will feel a lot better when she can be vaccinated herself, but I know that will be a while.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finally I will be vaccinated! The day after tomorrow for my first dose. I really can't believe it. My country couldn't provide enough for months and then finally made a deal to import in bulk during summer. I thought maybe by July..
I am thinking look at us.. Running to get one instead of running away. So weird times.. . Then I remembered I also had run to a health center to get a voluntary tetanus booster for volunteering in an animal shelter :D