Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im not at all nervous about getting a second dose, in fact, the appointment cant come soon enough as I want to be fully protected. Got to wait 8 weeks for a second dose here, as they are prioritizing getting as many people partially protected as possible, although in some areas its 12 so it could be worse.
That is why the U.S. has lagged behind some other countries as far as percentage of people who have had the first dose. The powers to be thought about getting as many people as possible a first dose then waiting longer for the second one but the decision was to not do that. When someone got their first dose there was a dose available for the second one as well. I actually made both of my appointments at the same time.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone worried about the US relaxing its Covid rules; and all the new Covid Variations coming out?

Are you still wearing a mask, or have you stopped..

Personally, I am not comfortable going into a store without a mask.. or even walking inside the building...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It actually wasnt a big deal, and I think it cured my fear of needles. I was so anxious in the waiting area, but the actual vaccine itself took just a second and it didnt even hurt. I was totally surprised by that, because although everyone else said that it didnt hurt, I thought they were just trying to make me feel better, but it really didnt. I felt it, but I wouldnt say it hurt, felt more like being poked.

I had a fear of needles too, and was shocked when I didn't feel a thing! If it wasn't for the teeny dot of blood on the bandaid, and my slightly sore arm the next day, I would question if I even got the shot or not.

Im not at all nervous about getting a second dose, in fact, the appointment cant come soon enough as I want to be fully protected. Got to wait 8 weeks for a second dose here, as they are prioritizing getting as many people partially protected as possible, although in some areas its 12 so it could be worse.
Canada is doing the same thing, in getting as many people who want the shot their first one, before moving onto 2nd doses. Originally, the wait time was 15 weeks between shots, but now that we're getting a higher number of vaccines per week, they're hoping to move those appointments up by 2 to 4 weeks. Like you, I'm anxious to get my 2nd one, and now will hopefully get in it July instead of August.

That is why the U.S. has lagged behind some other countries as far as percentage of people who have had the first dose.
Per the NYT vaccine tracker, Canada now has 58% first doses, but only 5.5% second doses. The US, by comparison, has 50% first doses and 40% second, and the UK 59% and 38%. Israel has the highest vaccinated at 60% first and 57% second.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyone worried about the US relaxing its Covid rules; and all the new Covid Variations coming out?

Personally, I am not comfortable going into a store without a mask.. or even walking inside the building...
You are wise. Don't leave home without the mask. Now there are a few variants of the virus and the battle is not over yet.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
From where I am we will be fined big time by the authorities if seen without a mask in public. Even when inside a vehicle when you are riding with other persons aside from your direct family it will cause a problem if caught non complying with the rules. We have an app here which is mandatory to be installed on our phones which shows your health status. Once fully vaccinated, it automatically shows VACCINATED stamp and it is like a free pass to malls, salons, etc.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why the U.S. has lagged behind some other countries as far as percentage of people who have had the first dose. The powers to be thought about getting as many people as possible a first dose then waiting longer for the second one but the decision was to not do that. When someone got their first dose there was a dose available for the second one as well. I actually made both of my appointments at the same time.
Yeah, I had to make both my appointments at the same time for Walgreens.

I'm worried, yes. I've relaxed a little bit. I'm not wearing it inside homes of fully vaccinated family, and also stopped for my outdoor exercise class, but no way I'm going in a store without one yet.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We still have mask mandates here (Ontario, Canada), so I don't have to worry about the eased restrictions just yet.
I work in close contact with the public so I fully intend to wear a mask for quite some time, and expect my clients to wear theirs as well.
Thankfully, most people that I talk to are completely on board with getting vaccinated (most already have their first shot) or if not, are only mildly hesitant and know they will probably get it...they're just waiting a bit...
I also wear a mask whenever I go out, as do most people here. There are a select few people (members of my family) that we won't wear masks around each other, but we don't really get together...it's usually just an outdoor deck/driveway visit. All the (older) members of my family that I do see, have had their first doses.

I also read that there is yet another variant that has "the experts" concerned...I think it's in Thailand? I guess we'll se how that one goes...And then there is also one from Vietnam...I'm not sure if they are perhaps the same variant....

I haven't heard much about many different variants lately...it seems the UK and Indian variants are the ones most wildly spread. Is the African variant an issue anymore?

What bugs me the most about the US relaxing restrictions is that some here are now really starting to complain..."but the US is...insert whine here...why can't we?..." :rolleyes3: It's a different situation people!!!!!:gaah:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard a doctor explaining the Vietnam variant this morning. It is a hybrid of the India and British variants. He said that is the most dangerous as far as possibly getting around the vaccines. So far Pfizer and Moderna are effective against the variants but he said that hybrids like this one are more of a change to the original virus.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have to wear masks here but I'm extremely clinically vulnerable so I've been wearing them all pandemic and will probably continue to do so some time after the country doesn't have to wear masks anymore (so as long as the pandemic is still occurring).

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Southern Maryland isn't mandating masks anymore if fully vaccinated (but I'm sure unvaccinated people are going maskless too). There are a few stores that I've heard are still making customers wear them but I guess I don't frequent those because I haven't worn a mask in about 3 weeks!! Even at work people are getting laxed about wearing their mask in common areas like the hallways and front lobby. Even the Chief of Police isn't wearing his so I think that clued us in that it wasn't required any longer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio dropped all mandates. The swimming pools are open, they didn't open last summer. I have started going in stores without a mask. I figured either I trust the vaccine or I don't.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the UK non essential shops are open and we can dine inside but we still have to wear masks and can't have large gatherings (I think 30 people is the maximum for a wedding, funeral etc).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The grocery store changed it's sign to mask required for unvaccinated employees and "recommended" for unvaccinated customers. There were people inside without a mask and it felt so weird and kind of scary. I still wore my mask because while I trust if I get it the vaccine will prevent serious illness I'm not sure how well it would keep me from passing on and J's obviously not vaccinated. And who knows how many of the unmasked people who were there actually weren't vaccinated.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the local grocery store, yesterday. Masks are not required for vaccinated people.
It seemed as if 90% of the shoppers wore masks. I was surprised to see so many.
All the employees were wearing masks.

We will see how it goes. While I trust Science, I ams till not certain with all the variations. I do not wear a mask when I am outside.. but inside, around people~~ yes.

A couple of weeks ago, We were told of a 'breakthrough' Covid case; someone who was vaccinated, and came down with Covid. That person was not in the building when diagnosed.

This week, we were informed of an UNVACCINATED tenant, coming down with Covid; being hospitilized, and will be recovering somewhere else.

They are offering Covid testing next week. They do this every 2 weeks. Surprisingly, not many people take advantage of it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else laugh reading the "Contingency Plan for variants" under the "Natural Infection" column?.....

**Get a vaccine**

Probably not meant to be funny but...lol!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I entered the VaxxiMillion contest for a chance to win a million!!! the drawing is next Wednesday. There
are five drawings. You can only enter once so wish me luck! denice denice , did you enter?
They are trying to get more people vaccinated

I'm still going to mask up in stores. The PA at the pain clinic reminded me that the vaccine is not 100%.
but I really don't want to keep wearing one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I entered. I didn't enter at the beginning because I thought it was something that people could enter when they got the shot. I never win at anything like this but I went ahead and did.