Corona Virus Now Spreading

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was exposed, I got tested five days after exposure, which is when I found out about said exposure. The internet seems to say 5-7 days after a possible exposure is best.

Is your mom vaccinated? I'm not sure if it would be different based on that.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
How often should someone be tested if they are not sure they could have it? My mom went out of town to see a sick relative in the hospital and offered to get tested when she gets back. My only worry is the test may not show right away as positive, depending on when an exposure was. What are the timeframes someone should get tested if they are not sure if they contracted it or not? If anyone has any info, can you send it my way?

I was able to find that she should do the PCR tests as opposed to the rapid testing because they are more accurate, esp. if someone is asymptomatic.
Yes, as Lari Lari mentioned.. It is about 4-5 days after exposure...

As to how often..I do not think it matters.. In my building we are being tested every 2 weeks...
What they do is a Rapid Antigen testing.. with PCR to follow up any positives

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a way to keep your vaccination record card free from wrinkles, dirt, etc: a protector sleeve :) I saw this: Here are some stylish, secure sleeves for your COVID-19 vaccine card It only features products sold on Etsy but you can find similar sleeves on Amazon and other places. Or repurpose something to use, like an old badge / ticket holder. The vaccination card measures about 3 inches by 4 inches. I got a freebie one at work.

I don't think it's necessary to carry the vaccination card in your wallet or purse all the time like you would with a driver's license or other ID card. Some web site recommend taking a picture of both sides of your completely filled out card with your phone so you have it available if it's needed for some reason. Keep the photos in a separate password protected album on the phone. The real paper card can put stores with other important documents like birth certificates.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had Moderna as well. I did have the sore arm both times. My arm was also itchy for a couple of days about a week after the second shot. That was all that I had.

Ohio had 638 new cases the last full day reported. That is the lowest it has been in a long time. I went to the supermarket yesterday and most customers were still wearing masks. About half of the people who work there didn't have one on. Kroger pharmacy has been giving the vaccinations from the beginning, that is where I got mine when appointments were still hard to get. Employees were probably able to get theirs at work and they know who among the employees are fully vaccinated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio had their first lottery drawing. There are actually two drawings, the million dollar one and a scholarship drawing for teenagers. The scholarship is a full ride scholarship to any Ohio college or university.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be glad when there's no more cases here, though I think it's going to be a while before I feel safe going out around people again without masks.
My area only saw cases right at the beginning and it was a couple Sheriff Deputies and residents in a retirement home. Masks were required but not enforced. I wore one but once the CDC said "take it off", I was happy to do so. Some people still wear theirs which is fine too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be glad when there's no more cases here, though I think it's going to be a while before I feel safe going out around people again without masks.
I'm unmasking around fully vaccinated family now, and outside, but I'm definitely still wearing it in stores, and when I ran to the pet store I noticed they're still requiring one, which is fine by me.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My area only saw cases right at the beginning and it was a couple Sheriff Deputies and residents in a retirement home. Masks were required but not enforced. I wore one but once the CDC said "take it off", I was happy to do so. Some people still wear theirs which is fine too.
I went to Target and Walmart this week here in Fredericksburg. Neither store requires a mask and I was surprised almost all customers had them on. There was one women in Target with 3 kids under 12 and none of them were wearing a mask. I can't say what i was thinking about her.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The Indian strain has hit Victoria, Australia and they've gone into a 7 day lockdown. We tend to do that here when there's a dozen or so community aquired cases. It seems so very virulent.
We're really good on stopping spread with lockdowns (the States determine that) but the Federal govt is absolutely pathetic about vaccines. My doctor said she only gets 50 a week to distribute and is still working through her over 75 patients.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im in the UK. Right now the rules are quite loose, you have have friends over indoors (six people at a time, or two households of any size), indoor dining is open again, and there's a plan to release all restrictions in about three weeks time (but honestly, I doubt it). I think right now they are offering vaccines to anyone over 30, but my area opened it up to everyone over 18 about two weeks ago, as there are cases of the Indian variant over here, and we are only a few miles away from a town that has a disproportionately high covid rate compared to the rest of the country. Although there are a lot of things youre allowed to do now, I am still being cautious and will be keeping my circle very small and not going out to many places until I am fully vaccinated.

I got my first vaccine on Thursday. I got Pfizer. Seeing as I am massively scared of needles and can barely even watch the cats getting vaccinated, and have the kids dad take them to appointments as I couldnt, it was a big thing for me.

It actually wasnt a big deal, and I think it cured my fear of needles. I was so anxious in the waiting area, but the actual vaccine itself took just a second and it didnt even hurt. I was totally surprised by that, because although everyone else said that it didnt hurt, I thought they were just trying to make me feel better, but it really didnt. I felt it, but I wouldnt say it hurt, felt more like being poked.

I had minimal side effects. My arm started to ache a little by the time I had gotten home, but it was never really bad. I could still use it just fine and it wasnt enough for me to actually mind. The only part that was really painful was from the cats, I woke up five times when they stepped on me right on the sore arm. The next day, my arm was a lot better, only really hurt when I stretched it or did things like took my shirt off, and on the day after, I had rolled onto that side in the night and it wasnt that painful, felt the odd twinge when I carried the shopping into the house and when I pressed down on the area the shot went in to see if it would hurt. That was gone by the end of the day and I have been fine since then, although I do have some occasional tenderness in my armpit on that side.

I got some quite useful advice from various people who I asked. I kept well hydrated on the day of the appointment and afterwards, I made sure to move my arm a lot as well. I chose to get it on my right arm, even though I write with that arm, because I sleep on my left side and that was more important to me. I used that arm to play games on my phone while waiting the 15 minutes and regularly moved my arm about to exercise it.

Im not at all nervous about getting a second dose, in fact, the appointment cant come soon enough as I want to be fully protected. Got to wait 8 weeks for a second dose here, as they are prioritizing getting as many people partially protected as possible, although in some areas its 12 so it could be worse.

I feel a lot happier now, not only do I feel relieved to have some protection and feel like I am doing my part to end the pandemic, I also conquered my fear. I cant wait to go hug my best friend again.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my first shot Saturday, it was Moderna. Oh man my arm hurts and I feel very sluggish. I hope the second shot won’t take me out.
I also had Moderna. My first shot I had really bad migraines afterwards. On the second shot I had fever and chills. It was quite bad but they say its normal.