Corona Virus Now Spreading

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin died of covid a few hours ago. She was only 40, and left behind three kids.
She was on the ICU for ten days -probably should have been there before but she was scared for being isolated in the hospital.
Take care of yourself -use your mask, don't hang out with people if you don't absolutely need to, you already know the drill. Go get tested if you are not feeling well, don't wait. She did, and now she's gone.
Sending my heartfelt condolences. And thank you for the reminder.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin died of covid a few hours ago. She was only 40, and left behind three kids.
She was on the ICU for ten days -probably should have been there before but she was scared for being isolated in the hospital.
Take care of yourself -use your mask, don't hang out with people if you don't absolutely need to, you already know the drill. Go get tested if you are not feeling well, don't wait. She did, and now she's gone.
I am so sorry.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like the same issues that the U.S. has had for a very long time, some areas all along. We seem to now have enough people vaccinated to stop the fast high count surges. The Governor is now thinking about incentives to get some more people vaccinated.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I missing something? Ontario is under a stay-at-home order, correct? So why is it that there is a full contact soccer game by my old high school daily with at least 20 people?? :think: They don't have any mask on and they are all grown men. I highly doubt they are from the same household.
You're not missing anything....some people just don't care. If you felt the need, you could report it and they would all get fined.
This is one of the reasons our Premier wanted to give the authority to police to stop and question ...but of course many people screamed and yelled that they were just creating a police state and bringing back "carding" (which was not the case)...so he took it back.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems as if everyone around me is having Covid Fatigue. They are sick of it.. Which is really horrible.. I do see a fair amount of mask wearing, when I go out and about, but in my immediate building.. and my friends; they have all had it. and are tired of all the restrictions..

I can see it both ways.. but I am still concerned about the new variants..
I think things are going too fast.. I wish it were a bit slower..

What I cannot understand is how/why people would flat out refuse to get vaccinated! There are so many who are doing so.. It is more than the anti-vaxers... and Florida really bothers me..

In Massachusetts, where we do have the largest amount of vaccinatinated, they are really relaxing the regulations. Now, Stores are not mandated to have senior hours.. those really did come in handy... but... things are normalizing.. a bit too soon for me, but.....

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I cannot understand is how/why people would flat out refuse to get vaccinated! There are so many who are doing so.. It is more than the anti-vaxers... and Florida really bothers me..
I know a lot of people who won't get vaccinated (myself included), and it's all for the same reason. There's no data on long term side effects. We have absolutely no idea what might happen months or years from now as a result, and with covid complications being such a low risk (95%+ survival rate and 50%+ people who get it will be asymptomatic) it's just not worth being a guinea pig.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am 65 and was a heavy smoker for a number of years. I am not as cavalier about the virus. I have been healthy my entire life and the few times I have had the flu I recovered without serious complications but at this point in my life I am at a higher risk of having a serious case of this novel virus.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long term side effects from vaccines aren't really a thing. I mean, there can be side effects that last long term, but they pop up pretty quick, not ten years later.

IL is supposed to start bridging to opening up and being completely open by June 11th. I'm not sure if that's still masked or not, but it's definitely in terms of capacity. It seems way too soon when they're just starting to maybe let 12-15 year olds get Pfizer. These variants seem to be hitting kids harder and they're not able to be protected yet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with covid complications being such a low risk (95%+ survival rate
That's not really low risk. If someone went skydiving and there were 100 people on the plane, and 5 people's parachutes didn't open (or even 1), and that happened every time, that would definitely be considered high risk!

Or for something more relevant, if the vaccines had a 1%-5% death rate, absolutely nobody would be getting vaccinated ;).

We also don't know the long-term effects of gettimg COVID, but so far it's not looking good. The vascular damage is permanent and can show up even when the person was asymptomatic originally. (Speaking of which, there's a new paper out; it seems COVID is a vascular disease, not a respiratory disease. The respiratory symptoms that many display are a result of the vascular damage: COVID-19 – A vascular disease)

I guess I sort of understand the concern about the mRNA vaccines, just because mRNA vaccine technology is so new (they've been working on it for awhile though). But the J&J one is a pretty standard vaccine so it shouldn't be any riskier than any other vaccine.

And young healthy people aren't exempt. Locally, a 29-year-old husband and father of a 2-year-old died from COVID. He had no underlying illnesses. Just bam! His lungs and heart basically exploded. Called in sick to work one day and was dead the next. Very sad.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What longterm affects would there be? I thought this was the same vaccine like when SARS was around, just modified? Isn't that why they were able to put it together so easily? The data was already there, no?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is. They have been working on this technology for many years. They started on a vaccine for the first SARS epidemic, that epidemic burned itself out quickly so research went on the backburner but continued at Universities. When the pandemic began money flowed in and Big Pharma got real interested. One of the Universities that worked on it for the years between SARS and COVID in the U.S. was Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt became one of the main research sites for the Moderna vaccine. This is not brand new from scratch technology.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not really low risk. If someone went skydiving and there were 100 people on the plane, and 5 people's parachutes didn't open (or even 1), and that happened every time, that would definitely be considered high risk!

Or for something more relevant, if the vaccines had a 1%-5% death rate, absolutely nobody would be getting vaccinated ;).

We also don't know the long-term effects of gettimg COVID, but so far it's not looking good. The vascular damage is permanent and can show up even when the person was asymptomatic originally. (Speaking of which, there's a new paper out; it seems COVID is a vascular disease, not a respiratory disease. The respiratory symptoms that many display are a result of the vascular damage: COVID-19 – A vascular disease)

I guess I sort of understand the concern about the mRNA vaccines, just because mRNA vaccine technology is so new (they've been working on it for awhile though). But the J&J one is a pretty standard vaccine so it shouldn't be any riskier than any other vaccine.

And young healthy people aren't exempt. Locally, a 29-year-old husband and father of a 2-year-old died from COVID. He had no underlying illnesses. Just bam! His lungs and heart basically exploded. Called in sick to work one day and was dead the next. Very sad.
95% when the elderly and those with underlying conditions are factored in, if you're just looking at normal healthy people it's 99+%. I'm fine with basically 1/10 of 1% odds of dying if I even get it at all, which is not very likely since I leave my house like once a week.

Anyone who blindly listens to what the media puts out without context will think that the J&J vaccine is killing people left and right because they have sensationalized the 6 people who died of blood clots after they got it. It doesn't help that it was basically banned from use for a while, thanks to that a lot of people think it's going to kill them and don't trust it.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd rather deal with side effects of a vaccine than the long term effects of Covid, which are well document and frankly quite scary. I know someone who had Covid and it was basically just like a cold for her, but a few weeks after she "recovered" she felt a little short of breath. She'd been reading about potential blood clots, got scared, so went to the ER. Sure enough, she had blood clots in her lungs. She's fine now but yikes.