Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot is changing because of remote work going for so long. Many remote jobs are remaining remote even when it is no longer necessary. Businesses now see that it can work and there is a real cost savings, the company that bought us out was surprised when productivity went up when most employees started working remotely. That means companies no longer have to pay for office space but it means a cratering of commercial real estate. That also means all those small businesses around office buildings won't come back. It means that the city where people were working will lose the income tax revenue from employees who commuted from another town or city to work. Your residence becomes your work city and income tax is withheld for it. That also means less spent on clothes for work, for women less spent on makeup and hair salons, people can start work in their pajamas if they want.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another casualty of the pandemic: Dry cleaners are going out of business. So many livelihoods—and lives—destroyed.
I'm not sure they were doing so great before. My parents' town hasn't had a dry cleaner for maybe 10 years, even the person who used to drive laundry to the dry cleaner in Sioux Falls stopped doing it. It's just not a thing anymore I guess.

I'm glad it showed that a lot of people don't HAVE to go to the office. Hopefully they can stay flexible for people who'd rather work from home.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my second shot of Moderna Wednesday. my husband did already and other than a sore arm was fine. I know this is hard to accept, but be THANKFUL you had such a strong reaction to the second dose, that means your immune system has put up a strong reaction and is really working hard from the first dose. My husband has a poor immune system, so definitely needed the second dose. I have heard from nurses now that if you have a strong reaction, not just a sore arm...like fever, flu-like symptoms, etc., from the FIRST vaccination, that you most likely had a lot of antibodies already in your system from already having the Covid flu and not knowing it. They are doing studies on it now.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I had my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday morning. By Friday night I was feeling wiped out. Yesterday I had an itchy, sore arm, a headache and I was really tired. Same today, but the symptoms aren't as bad.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vaccine rollout is slow here in Canada, due to lack of supply, as we aren't producing any vaccines and have to import them all. So I'm still waiting for my 1st shot.

I could have gone with AstraZeneca, and gotten it already, but decided against it, due to all the negative news on it. So waiting on either Pfizer or Moderna, which I think my age range will be eligible for in a couple weeks. Meanwhile still limiting my outings to groceries and other necessities. :sigh:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the Moderna vaccine - the only one in my family to get it. Everyone else got Pfizer. They were lucky. I was SO SICK on Tuesday! No one else has gotten sick, just really tired. How about you?
I got the Moderna and all I had was the sore arm for both shots. Pfizer seems to be the predominate vaccine by far. Pfizer is a huge pharma company and they have partnered with another huge pharma company in Europe that is why they can produce so much more vaccine. Moderna is actually a small company and their research was done by Universities. That is how Dolly Partin gave a million dollars towards the development of their vaccine, it was through Vanderbilt University. They just don't have Big Pharma's production capabilities.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that among the people I know, it's been about 50/50 Moderna/Pfizer. I only know one person who got J&J, and that was at the clinic. . .but she's mentally ill/on disability and I suspect they're using the one-shot regimen for certain demographics they think won't come back for the second.

State stats say that about 225,000 doses of Moderna and 253,000 doses of Pfizer have been administered, not exactly 50/50 but fairly equal, so that seems about right. About 14,000 doses of J&J have been given. We reached the milestone of 50% of the population receiving at least one shot, and 35% have been fully vaccinated (whether J&J or 2 doses of a different one).

My mom is still hesitating :/. She's just convinced that she's going to have a massive anaphylactic reaction, even though she's never had an anaphylactic reaction to anything else before, including vaccines. She is talking about making an appointment at the hospital I had mine done at, it's an hour drive for her but she thinks a big hospital is a better place to have a reaction at. Oh well, it's an improvement that she's talking about it anyway.

My brothers are also hesitating. One is terrified of needles, and I'm not sure what the other's reasons are, he just said he's still thinking about it.

My dad completely refuses. A result of too much internet for him, I think.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my first dose as a clinically vulnerable person, but am still waiting for my second dose which has been delayed. I had Oxford/Astra Zeneca.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pfizer or Moderna? Where You Live May Determine COVID-19 Vaccine

Which vaccine is more prevalent in an area depends on the location. Pfizer is the one that requires the ultra cold temperatures. Moderna also requires cold storage but not the ultra cold storage. Moderna is more prevalent in rural areas and small facilities.
Makes sense. When I got on the county site there were a lot more places offering Pfizer, but the Chicago area is pretty urban and can handle the extra cold storage. And it feels like most people I know got Pfizer, with a few Moderna and J&J thrown in.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both shots, and I also got the Moderna vaccine. After the first shot my arm was sore for a day. After the second shot my arm was sore for a day and a half, and I had a couple bouts of fever on the first day after I got it. The fever responded well to ibuprofen.

Before you get your second shot you may want to pay extra attention to hydration; I've heard that drinking lots of water can help.

Reactions vary greatly between individuals. My brother had fever for a day. His wife had bad diarrhea for a day. Not sure, but I think they both got Pfizer.

And the friend of a friend noticed that his vision was blurry on the way home from the vaccination center. As soon as he got home he called the vaccination center in a panic — what should he do? Call the doctor? No, it would probably be quicker to visit the emergency room; should he do that? They told him to calm down, take some deep breaths, and return to the vaccination center to pick up the glasses he'd left there.

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
t would probably be quicker to visit the emergency room; should he do that? They told him to calm down, take some deep breaths, and return to the vaccination center to pick up the glasses he'd left there.
ha!!!!!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that among the people I know, it's been about 50/50 Moderna/Pfizer. I only know one person who got J&J, and that was at the clinic. . .but she's mentally ill/on disability and I suspect they're using the one-shot regimen for certain demographics they think won't come back for the second.

State stats say that about 225,000 doses of Moderna and 253,000 doses of Pfizer have been administered, not exactly 50/50 but fairly equal, so that seems about right. About 14,000 doses of J&J have been given. We reached the milestone of 50% of the population receiving at least one shot, and 35% have been fully vaccinated (whether J&J or 2 doses of a different one).

My mom is still hesitating :/. She's just convinced that she's going to have a massive anaphylactic reaction, even though she's never had an anaphylactic reaction to anything else before, including vaccines. She is talking about making an appointment at the hospital I had mine done at, it's an hour drive for her but she thinks a big hospital is a better place to have a reaction at. Oh well, it's an improvement that she's talking about it anyway.

My brothers are also hesitating. One is terrified of needles, and I'm not sure what the other's reasons are, he just said he's still thinking about it.

My dad completely refuses. A result of too much internet for him, I think.
I hope your mom and bros' have it. I'm like your mom. I had it a facility that had an ER and the Vaccine clinic was
right beside Cardiology.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I had my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday morning. By Friday night I was feeling wiped out. Yesterday I had an itchy, sore arm, a headache and I was really tired. Same today, but the symptoms aren't as bad.
I was wiped out Friday pm and all day Saturday and Sunday. So very tired and along with high pain levels, was a bad weekend.
My house looks scandalous. I had the snack packs of hummus and pretzels....so easy to eat, yogurt, bananas, honey roasted
cashews, grape juice, H2O, Coke and tea.My neighbour brought me chili and cornbread for dinner last night. Arm is still itchy so I rub Lidocaine Ointment 5% on the area. Also I was very thirsty on Friday. I downed 2 10 ounce glasses of H2O in a row. then 2 more about 15 mins later

Don't feel so wiped out today.