Corona Virus Now Spreading

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my vaccine they had a waiting room where we had to sit for fifteen minutes with several people at the front watching us. They did look like they were prepared - and the hospital emergency room was right across the parking lot from the vaccine site. I felt very safe.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An Epi pen is all that is needed to turn around a reaction. Someone would still need to be transported to a hospital to be checked out and possibly get further treatment. I had no qualms about getting the Moderna vaccine at a pharmacy because I know they have the Epi pens there. I don't have a history of allergic reactions though. If I did I would probably want to go the hospital for the vaccine. I know at least one of the hospitals now has appointments, they even give people a choice of Pfizer or Moderna when they make the appointment. I just got the first appointments that I could get and that was at a pharmacy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last couple of weeks, our numbers have really increased and we are now heading into lockdown again and starting Monday, all grade school and high school are going virtual.
Most of our cases have been the under 19 group and the 20-39 group, so "health system" wise.....we are doing fine, but many of the new cases are the UK variant, so I guess it's spreading quick with the kids, hence the school shutdowns.
We're still working on the "over 80" group for vaccinations, but hopefully the vulnerable will get done in time as "our experts" are predicting a third wave in April.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my area in Germany we seem to be starting the third wave. GPs are very worried about the British mutation but it hasn't been found locally yet. Schools have only just reopened and lock-down in care-homes is due to be lifted since all residents have been vaccinated.

I should try to get an appointment to have my hair cut before hairdressers have to close again! They only reopened 10 days ago!

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was the anniversary of the first positive COVID test and COVID death in this state. So of course what do they do? They cancelled the mask mandate in Sioux Falls :/. I hope people don't give the businesses that still require masks a hard time. Costco knows how to handle people but they have the leverage of threatening to revoke your membership, and most stores don't have that.

The UPS guy said that they were told they could make a vaccination appointment for next week. Also a state employee I know was told the same. They haven't declared the next level yet, are they just anticipating they'll call it next week? Nobody has told us postal workers anything.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother is a nurse and works in the ICU, she got her vaccine a while back. I still worry for her. They are saying family members of nurses MAY be able to get it soon which means I will be able to, or at least that's what she mentioned. All of this is scary!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is supposed to be enough vaccine for everyone to be eligible by June 1. It will then be a matter of how many people refuse the vaccine, polls say it will be around 25% and how concentrated they will be in areas. I know for measles a vaccination rate of 85% is needed for herd immunity that is why we are starting to see measles outbreaks. They have been small and contained but we went years when it was rare to hear of measles at least in the developed world. Measles is much more contagious then this Coronavirus though. This virus is so new and vaccinations are just now getting a good start it will be a while before we know the percentage needed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband and I got our second shots a week ago, we got Pfizer at a mass vaccination site organized by the hockey team, Carolina Hurricanes. The first one was a long line (in our cars) but the second one they had more volunteers and it went very quickly. They sent us over to a separate lot to wait 15 minutes. There were EMTs wandering around checking on us. We were told to honk the horn twice if we had a problem. We didn't hear anyone honking while we were there. We only had mild side effects. After the first one I had some mild aches and a slight fever. After the second one it was just a sore arm and very tired. My 91 year old father had both his (pfizer) at a hospital. He said he felt fine, but very tired. My sister (under 65 but diabetic) had her first a couple days ago at the hosptital. She just had a sore arm and headache. Second one scheduled for March 29. I've tried helping my sister's friend find an appointment, but it;s not easy finding an appointment.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, considering that it's not approved for children yet, we wouldn't have herd immunity even if every adult did get vaccinated. Hopefully they'll be able to start approving it for teenagers soon, at least.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I can report (at least from the other side of things) that we've almost hit a complete brick wall in the number of covid deaths we've seen at my work. In fact, as of right now, we've only seen 2 this week come in, both on Monday. This is a HUGE 180 from a month or two ago where 95% of what we were seeing was covid deaths.
I had my first shot this past Saturday (Pfizer), but I had to see/handle 1000+ covid bodies in the last year, along with families who lost someone to covid and the funeral directors who dealt with all the covid burials as well. I was at the point where I didn't care which shot I got, but I'm a bit upset they made our field of work wait so long to be eligible. We lost a handful of funeral directors, crematory operators and other people in the death care industry because they waited so long to include us in the vaccine.
I have had no side effects so far. My mother had both shots (Moderna) and only experienced a slight fever (99°).
I hope everyone is doing well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am 65 and we are in the same time frame for shots. I got my first Moderna shot February 24 and I get the second one March 24. I think with the Johnson and Johnson shot we will be flooded with vaccines very soon. Merck is also producing that vaccine even though they are rival businesses and Johnson and Johnson is going to 24/7. They said they will be able to produce a billion doses by the end of the year. I wonder if there has been a flu vaccine for next season and if anyone is producing it?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They had pictures on the news of fully vaccinated people hugging their grandchildren for the first time in a year. One picture was of a grandfather seeing one of his grandchildren for the first time in person. She was born at the beginning of the pandemic.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am scared to take it. I've been an unknowing medical guinea pig back in the 80s and quite frankly if you suffered the effects of that like I do you're very hesitant. Plus if I do get a bad reaction (several people I know got sick from the vaccine) there is no one to take care of Mom or the cats. For me it's not a matter of refusing or thinking the government is implanting a microchip in me but plain fear of more pain as I can't take pain meds.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus if I do get a bad reaction (several people I know got sick from the vaccine) there is no one to take care of Mom or the cats.
But if you got COVID, there would be nobody to care for them either. And for most people, the vaccine is safer than the illness. But, of course, if you have a history of bad reactions to vaccines, that might not apply.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nobody has told us postal workers anything.
MN opened up the next tiers for vaccines, postal workers being in the 2nd of the two tiers added, a boss higher up said it would be likely a month before they get to us after the first tier. I've been signed up on the states vaccine connector for a couple weeks already. Anxious to get it and feel a little safer being around people.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio is down to age 50 now. I haven't heard of any large vaccination events here in Columbus except for teachers and school employees. It is still being done through pharmacies and hospitals. I am thinking that things will change with the Johnson and Johnson vaccination. It doesn't have the crazy cold storage requirements and a second shot doesn't have to be scheduled. I am more then two weeks out from my first shot. I got the Moderna shot so I have a four week wait, I go back March 24.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Our numbers stayed the same for 2 weeks, checked today, 99 more cases and 30 more deaths.Can't figure out why.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably just didn't run the reports for a while. They can't report it until the death certificate is filed and sometimes those get backed up.