Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin who is currently pregnant (due in June I think) fully intends to be vaccinated when it becomes available to her, whether she's still pregnant or is nursing at the time. Her husband is in medical research and they both have come to the conclusion that it's as safe as anything else, and definitely safer than contracting COVID while pregnant/nursing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting tomorrow in this state, people under 65 with underlying health problems can get vaccinated. One of my co-workers is getting an appointment because he's diabetic. We're still in category D; the rest of us essential employees will be in category E.

Asthma is only being accepted as an underlying condition if it's "moderate to severe" and I don't know what my asthma is medically classified as so I'll probably just wait for category E.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari , I found this article...Although it doesn't mention the J&J vaccine specifically, it does help explain the extremely low risk of adverse reactions when it comes to vaccination while breastfeeding.
COVID-19 vaccine guidance for those who are lactating is based on faulty assumptions, experts say
I did read that one! I'd definitely get moderna or pfizer if it's offered, and probably J&J. I'm just hoping for more info there.

Then again, I had to get MMR in the hospital after birth because we discovered during pregnancy my rubella immunity was equivocal, so if that's okay while breastfeeding (though not during pregnancy itself), any of the covid vaccines probably should be.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They debated ending the mask mandate in Sioux Falls at their meeting yesterday. They voted to advance it to next week's meeting at least. But even if they extend it, they say it'll end when we get to vaccination category 1E, which is critical infrastructure workers. I think that's too early; they should extend it to whenever we get enough vaccine for everyone. Now is not the time to get complacent, just wait a couple more months!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get it. Wait until two weeks after everyone could reasonably have been vaccinated. The anti-vaxxers will do as they will, it wouldn't be fair to continue with restrictions because of them. This is too soon. I know Ohio is still on 65 and up as well as younger people with certain conditions. There is still a long way to go.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy for those who have already been vaccinated. Stay safe, guys.

From where I am only Pfizer and Moderna are to be administered, but I am still waiting for my schedule. After I get my shots then I can finally plan my return home. It has been almost 2 years that I could not be able to come home to my kids.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't heard about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine being used here. It doesn't have the crazy cold storage requirements that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine have so it can be kept in doctors offices and clinics. It would also be easier to use at mass vaccine events and to take into churches and community centers. They have a publicity campaign going on for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. It's percentages aren't as good when it comes to preventing all illness from the Coronavirus but it is just as good at preventing serious illness. A lot of people are wanting either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine instead but Johnson and Johnson will end up being the one that is more available.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescheduled mine for the 19th insead of the 12th. Nicole got her first one last week. The second has to be
exactly 3 weeks apart. She knows someone in another county here in Ohio who got the J&J. I have a sore throat
and knew they wouldn't administer the shot with that knowledge nor would I want to have it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Frow what I have read and heard, J &J, was tested on the current variants: South Africa, Southerner's American, UK variant.. I think that is why the results are so low. They made sure to include variants in the test subjects.

Moderna and Pfizer were not tested against them. We do not know the exact percentage of immunity to those variant using M or P.....

Mia6 Mia6 feel better..... It could just be from the temp changes.. and the extremely dry air. ((hugs))

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at Sam's Club on Sunday and they had a sign up saying they had the J&J vaccine, call this number to make an appointment. . .it sounded like anyone could call but they probably still have to keep to the state's schedule. But anyway it looks like the J&J vaccine is going to be more available at pharmacies while they're still giving Moderna and Pfizer at the doctor's offices.

Honestly the more I hear about J&J's vaccine the more I like it so I might deliberately get that one.

Also, a lot of people with a history of allergic reactions are being told they have to wait until they can get enough allergic people together to have an event in/near the emergency room. Which is interesting, I don't think I've heard of that happening in other states.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, a lot of people with a history of allergic reactions are being told they have to wait until they can get enough allergic people together to have an event in/near the emergency room. Which is interesting, I don't think I've heard of that happening in other states.
My stepdad had to get his at the hospital for that reason. Fortunately, he didn't have a reaction.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly the more I hear about J&J's vaccine the more I like it so I might deliberately get that one.
I know, me too. I get that the "effectiveness" is not as high as Moderna or Pfizer, but not getting extremely sick or dying is what's important IMO. If I end up getting a "bad cold" even if vaccinated with the J&J, that will sort of be like getting my "second dose". It allows my immune system to build up even more antibodies naturally. It also does not have any reported anaphylaxis reactions like the other 2.
Up until this pandemic, people were perfectly fine with getting the flu shot with much less effectiveness...one year I remember it being reported that it was only 10% effective. I think people still think that the vaccine is going to eradicate this virus (nope) or perhaps they think that it's an all or nothing situation where if it's only 60% effective, that means they still have a 40% chance of dying...which is not the case. Perhaps the media/government need to simply be clear and concise on how vaccines work. I know most information on the vaccines that I have was because I did my own research.
I also have been hearing a lot of flack against the Astrazeneca vaccine.....I'll have to look back into why as I can't remember. But I do remember thinking to myself..."why is that so bad?"

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really not a bad idea for vaccines in general. When I got my first rhogam shot, they made me wait an extra 15 minutes to make sure there was no reaction. I think something serious like anaphylaxis would happen pretty quickly.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reaction does happen quickly, I seen it once. It was one of those cattle call vaccinations when I was in basic training for the Army. The reaction is very quick and very dramatic. I don't know which shot it was, they vaccinate against things that aren't commonly vaccinated for in this country like Yellow fever.

I got the Moderna vaccine at a pharmacy. I know it is okay for a certain number of hours outside of the subzero temperature, they must just get a day's worth at a time. If someone doesn't show up then it would be someone else's lucky day. Giving it to anyone even if they are not yet up on the list is preferable to being thrown away.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stepdad had to get his at the hospital for that reason. Fortunately, he didn't have a reaction.
Most of the doctors have offices in the hospital, but are still turning them down. I can see pharmacies turning them away but you'd think the doctors would be well-equipped to deal with a reaction or move them to the ER. But it's good they're thinking about their safety.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients has been a concern for many so I have been trying to get good sources of them.
If anyone want's clear information in vaccine ingredients I found these documents.

They are not just for the covid vaccines but many others as well....and yes some vaccines do contain formaldehyde and aluminum. But they are in such small trace amounts that they are considered a "safe amount". In fact the amount of formaldehyde that is naturally forming in our bodies....yes we naturally produce formaldehyde in our own bodies....is in higher concentration than what is found to be in a vaccine.

The first is the list of ingredients in the vaccine itself, the second are the ingredients used during manufacturing...which can leave trace amounts. For a better description of what I mean, it's in the article.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/excipient-table-2.pdf

Institute for Vaccine Safety || Components: Excipients