Corona Virus Now Spreading

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, also: the hsl in the address refers to the parent company—- Hebrew Senior Life. It is an affiliate of Harvard Medical School.
Open to all religions. Most of us here are Catholic, but I do not care. As long as I am treated well.
They do cater to all the Jewish holidays, but who cares? I do my own thing

They do focus on this being a community rather than just another senior housing complex.

Anyway, rambling.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I should laugh or get mad...but I will say, I did laugh....

Over the weekend, police showed up to a residence in my city after they received a complaint that a party was happening.
So the home owner, answered the door, and allowed the police to enter...seems like nothing was amiss...But then the officers could hear whispering. So they investigated and found a bunch of people hiding in the bedroom! LOL!
They fined the homeowner, but it seems not the attendees. I think they need to be a bit more strict with their enforcement, but I still giggled at the thought of what the cops thought to themselves with this situation. All I can picture is a bunch of schoolkids who got their hands on a dirty magazine or a beer and whispering while hidden under the bed, and then getting caught by their parents.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard on the news that we may have our first case of the new variant (Europe) from someone who recently returned from travelling. Thankfully, (it was reported) that they did quarantine upon their arrival like their supposed to (we have a mandatory 14 day quarantine period for anyone who travels out of country), so hopefully there won't be any spread.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just the first shot gives some immunity around 60%. Even if they don't qualify to get a second shot in the time frame they are supposed to get it they at least have some immunity. Six people having some immunity is better then letting the vaccine go to waste because it was out to long.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say it doesn't matter when you get the second one, it can be longer than 3-4 weeks if necessary (but shouldn't be done sooner). I would guess that their demographic will probably be up for their first shot about the time they're due for the second so it should work out.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got an email saying one of the Parking Enforcement Officers where I work died this morning due to complications of Covid. Like a lot who didn't make it, he was severely over-weight which probably already put strain on his lungs before Covid. I don't deal with PEOs very often so I didn't recognize him from the attached picture.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got my first vaccine this morning. I don't have any side effects and feel find. It was held in the activities room right across the hall from my room so I did not have to wait outside in the cold in a long line like I see on the news. As far as I know every one did well.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My client who's Step-mom got Covid (part of an outbreak at a retirement home) has passed away, and now her Dad tested positive and is not doing well. I didn't get to speak directly but the receptionist said she's a mess with worry. She called the office because she just couldn't get herself to come for her appointment.
I've heard about "so and so's, sister's, co-worker" or whatever getting sick, but this is the first person that I know personally, that is directly affected by Covid...I feel so bad for her.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry. I hope her Dad makes it.

Covid-19 sniffing dogs: What does the science say?

They are experimenting with training dogs to detect COVID. One test showed that the dogs are correct 94% of the time. It's still in the very early stages so scientists aren't committing one way or the other. I know dog's noses can do remarkable things. They have dogs that can detect small traces of gluten for people who have a serious reaction to it and dogs are used to detect bed bugs. They are also showing promise in early detection of some cancers and detecting high glucose levels.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My county is over 12,000 cases now. I received an email from Discount Drug Mart saying
they will be sending another email for me to make an appointment for the vaccine. I signed
up for it online.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I turn 65 on February 10 and they are supposed to be starting with 65 and over on February 8. I guess I can sign up that is if they still have vaccine. Franklin county has 104,000 cases now but only 450 new cases, that is about half of the new cases that we were getting.

Johnson and Johnson one dose vaccine is coming out. It is only about 66% effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID. It sounds like it is about as effective as a flu shot normally is. It lowers the number of people catching it and people who do catch it usually have a much milder illness then they might have had without the shot. It doesn't have to be frozen along with only being one shot. It would be a good option for remote underserved areas. It would also be a good option in developing countries that simply do not have the infrastructure needed for the two vaccines that have to be kept frozen, one at super low temps. They also can't stay unfrozen for very long before they go bad. Some areas of the U.S. and some countries simply can't make practical use of those two shot vaccines.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My county is over 12,000 cases now. I received an email from Discount Drug Mart saying
they will be sending another email for me to make an appointment for the vaccine. I signed
up for it online.
I signed up at Discount Drug Mart online. I was going to try to get an appointment at the Kroger pharmacy that is real close to me but they are doing the thing where they open appointments online and they get snapped up real quick. It sounds like Discount Drug Mart is giving appointments to people who register on line. Ohio starts with people 65 and over the week of February 8 and I turn 65 on the 10th. I will see if I can get an appointment.

The last counts for Ohio is only 3,011 new cases and Franklin county only had 312 new cases. I don't think it has been that low since last summer.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I signed up at Discount Drug Mart online. I was going to try to get an appointment at the Kroger pharmacy that is real close to me but they are doing the thing where they open appointments online and they get snapped up real quick. It sounds like Discount Drug Mart is giving appointments to people who register on line. Ohio starts with people 65 and over the week of February 8 and I turn 65 on the 10th. I will see if I can get an appointment.

The last counts for Ohio is only 3,011 new cases and Franklin county only had 312 new cases. I don't think it has been that low since last summer.
Mine is supposed to be the 9th. I don't want to be in a long line, yeah?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone is getting Pandemic depression..
I certainly have it. I love walking in the snow but I can't because my rolator doesn't do well
on unshoveled sidewalks. I have a scandalous case of cabin fever.

But it could be worse, I have a beautiful daughter, Big Cal, movies to watch. She seems to know
I am feeling rough. I bought something online and after doing survey, I got to choose 4 magazines
free for a year.

Martha Stewart
Bon Appetite
Coastal Living
Cruise World, ha!! They have sail boats than can be 800,000!! Fun to read about

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Good magazines Mia6 Mia6 ! Perfect for dreaming about travel, which I do quite a bit these days. Don’t forget to check your library to see if they have the online magazine lending library, RBDigital for lots more to read.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon to get the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Looking forward to getting it out of the way! I’ve started to double mask when I go to the store: a KN95 underneath a double-layered, homemade cloth mask.

My brother in Orange County, CA, got the Moderna vaccine early yesterday morning. He said when he got there, the place was packed and he thought he’d be there forever, but when they actually started the vaccinations, it went very quickly.

(On a side note, he wasn’t paying attention when he drove between the temporary fencing they’d set up, and he scraped the side of the fancy Volvo that he flew all the way to Sweden to pick up. “I don’t know how it happened,” he said. I’m pretty sure he was looking at his phone at the time, knowing my brother. I didn’t laugh when he told me, but I did roll my eyes. That’s what sisters are for! :))