Corona Virus Now Spreading

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it seems like one the outbreaks at a retirement/assisted living facility in my area has increased to 7 people. Our Public Health does not reveal a lot when new cases first get reported in order to "protect peoples privacy", but of course, word gets around. I hope things settle quickly and they are able to get things under control fast.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter got her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, she works in the medical profession and got it through work, and after a few hours she started with the side effects, bodyaches, low-grade fever, headache, chills, extremely tired and she was in bed last evening and most of the day today, so just forewarning that can happen. After 24 hours she was able to go get Chinese food and just had a lingering headache. So forwarned is forarmed about possible side effects! She only had a sore arm with the first dose Three weeks ago.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter got her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, she works in the medical profession and got it through work, and after a few hours she started with the side effects, bodyaches, low-grade fever, headache, chills, extremely tired and she was in bed last evening and most of the day today, so just forewarning that can happen. After 24 hours she was able to go get Chinese food and just had a lingering headache. So forwarned is forarmed about possible side effects! She only had a sore arm with the first dose Three weeks ago.
Interesting. I’ll be getting my 2nd dose on the 28th only had a sore arm on the first too. Thanks for the heads up

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coworker had the same side effects after her first dose.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have found a variant here in Franklin County that is similar to the one in the UK that is more contagious. That probably explains why this county has had numbers ahead of the rest of the state for awhile. We are getting close to a 100,000 cases in this county.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, we have only had 2850 cases. Only 46 deaths and most of those was in one nursing home. At least one was a Sheriff's Deputy. There are really one 3 counties in the entire state that have high numbers.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The death rate in Franklin county has remained low compared to many other places. I just looked at the numbers, we have had 95,508 cases and 704 deaths. That probably has to do with having a medical school and the medical center with the school as well as two other large health networks. The ICU capacity here would be higher then many areas as well as always being on the cutting edge of new treatments due to the medical school. I knew something had to be going on because we do not have as much resistance to the necessary public health measures here as in other parts of the state but our numbers remained way above those other parts of the state.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We know have almost 11,000 cases in Medina county, almost a 1,500 jump in about 10 days.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the residents part of the outbreak at the retirement facility has passed. This is only our third death since this all started, so things have been good, but I know someone who's parents were there, the Dad was OK (as of Wednesday), but the step mom ended up catching Covid. I hope she is OK.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That outbreak I mentioned above consists of 32 positive cases and has now claimed 3 lives. It makes me so mad because I believe the first case was with a staff member, but I could be wrong....We also have 2 more outbreaks declared in 2 other long term care homes. I think I mentioned before that they declare an outbreak with only one case, but again, in both LTC homes it is a staff member that has tested positive. Hopefully those 2 staff members have kept their germs to themselves!
I know we are supposed to be grateful for our front line, and I am....but I have to say that I have also seen and heard some pretty incredible things...AKA health care workers NOT following public health rules....just makes me mad.

An acquaintance of mine went to visit her Mom at her home, she receives aide from health care workers. When she showed up, the provider was not wearing her mask! She did not want to confront her at the time, but later asked her Mother what the deal was. The Mom said that the provider asked if it was OK to not wear her mask!!! How can you in good conscience ask an elderly person, someone who is vulnerable and agreeable to not wear a mask. OF COURSE she will say it's OK!
So the daughter called to company and filed a complaint. The next time she was there......the worker was wearing the mask UNDER HER NOSE! And when the daughter confronted her that time, she stipulated that she has medical reasons......Sorry sweetheart, as a health care provider...If you can't properly wear PPE, then you're not allowed to work...that's the rule. Medical exemptions do not apply to health care providers. She called the company again and filed a complaint. The worker now wears her mask right....well at least with this person....
And that's not the only story I have.....:nono: :mad: :disappointed:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a problem in the States with nursing home staff refusing the vaccine. That is also part of the problem with the delay in getting people vaccine, they are a priority group and states weren't moving on down the list while they were trying to get nursing home staff to take the vaccinated. It is also creating a problem with the doses themselves because they unfreeze a certain amount of doses take them to a nursing home and many of the staff refuse it. States have now skipped them and moved on because they are trying to get as many people as possible vaccinated regardless of which group they are in.

I try not to get to angry about this. I know in the U.S. working in a nursing home is far from a premium job. It is low paid hard work with a high turnover. There really isn't much in the way of requirements to work in one. Pretty much anyone who can pass a very easy two week course can get certified to work in nursing homes.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Please, please, please be safe and stay home, wash your hands and wear a mask.
Covid has made my job 12-16hrs a day, 7 days a week and we're barely staying afloat. My coworkers and I are exhausted, we're breaking down, I'm practically living at work and I miss my kitties because all I have time to do when I get home is sleep. My body is beat up, bruised and I'm finally getting over 2nd degree burns on my hand. Hell, we set the building on fire at one point because we're pushing our equipment beyond what's it's capable of.
Every day I hear stories from families about "we thought it was ok to travel", "we didn't think it'd happen to our family", "I just wanted to see (insert person here)", "we should have taken this seriously".
I hope that everyone is being safe. I want to see everyone here on TCS, not at my place of work. Take care of yourselves and remind your family and friends to do the same.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a problem in the States with nursing home staff refusing the vaccine. That is also part of the problem with the delay in getting people vaccine, they are a priority group and states weren't moving on down the list while they were trying to get nursing home staff to take the vaccinated. It is also creating a problem with the doses themselves because they unfreeze a certain amount of doses take them to a nursing home and many of the staff refuse it. States have now skipped them and moved on because they are trying to get as many people as possible vaccinated regardless of which group they are in.

I try not to get to angry about this. I know in the U.S. working in a nursing home is far from a premium job. It is low paid hard work with a high turnover. There really isn't much in the way of requirements to work in one. Pretty much anyone who can pass a very easy two week course can get certified to work in nursing homes.
This may sound heartless of me, but if you refuse the vaccination, and you have no medical reason for doing so, then you don't work.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every day I hear stories from families about "we thought it was ok to travel", "we didn't think it'd happen to our family", "I just wanted to see (insert person here)", "we should have taken this seriously".
Although I'm not "front line", I am an essential health care provider. So I can relate to dealing with the public on these issues, although not the trauma of witnessing what's going on in the hospitals. It's so frustrating...I feel like a broken record trying to explain and teach people about why this and why that...Please take care of yourself as best you can.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please, please, please be safe and stay home, wash your hands and wear a mask.
Covid has made my job 12-16hrs a day, 7 days a week and we're barely staying afloat. My coworkers and I are exhausted, we're breaking down, I'm practically living at work and I miss my kitties because all I have time to do when I get home is sleep. My body is beat up, bruised and I'm finally getting over 2nd degree burns on my hand. Hell, we set the building on fire at one point because we're pushing our equipment beyond what's it's capable of.
I hope that everyone is being safe. I want to see everyone here on TCS, not at my place of work. Take care of yourselves and remind your family and friends to do the same.
I live in Franklin county in Ohio and it is bad here, we are close to a hundred thousand cases just in Franklin county. I am able to work from home almost 100% of the time. I only go in for a short time usually just once a month. There is hardly anyone in the office and we share the building with AEP and that part of AEP is working remotely so there is hardly anyone in the building. We did the virtual thing for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I usually only leave the house once a week to go to the grocery store. I wear a mask, disinfect the cart and use hand sanitizer. I also go early in the morning while there are still only a few people there. It is getting old though and I am ready for this to be over but I know I have it better then many so I keep quiet and keep doing what I am doing.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local cases in the London suburbs have dropped a bit, thankfully. We were one of the worst boroughs in the city but we're not on the "Corona top 5" list anymore. Our local hospital is still overwhelmed, though, and last week they were even having to send patients to hospitals elsewhere in South East England that had less beds.

Although I'm not "front line", I am an essential health care provider. So I can relate to dealing with the public on these issues, although not the trauma of witnessing what's going on in the hospitals. It's so frustrating...I feel like a broken record trying to explain and teach people about why this and why that...Please take care of yourself as best you can.
My mum is the same; she works in the civil service and has been running healthcare campaigns for the public since March last year. She works with many charities and influential figures (who have been on the frontline in some cases).

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My senior father called a company about installing a new garage door - the man came out and refused to wear his mask. He said masks "did nothing" and it was "all a big deal over nothing". My dad then told him that he didn't think they could do business, and the man said "it doesn't matter, we have enough business, we don't need yours." Good for them I guess. I wrote them a scathing review on Google.

I am still so tired of people having parties and going out, and then turning around on social media and complaining about how "restricted" they are. People don't even try. And still so many say "well, there is a high survival rate!" or "it only kills vulnerable people anyway!" as if they can't be touched and as if those elderly and immunocompromised individuals don't matter. And you know, as if it's just those groups that are affected, or that long term effects aren't a thing... It doesn't really give me much faith in people.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are young fit people who have not survived this. So little is really known for sure about this virus there is no way of knowing for certain who will only get mildly ill and who will get so sick they don't make it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The nursing home where my mom is went from nine to sixty-three residents in one day. I do not know how many staff; I was just told that some of them had it when it was reported to me. My mom was given her first dose of the vaccine and then tested positive two hours later. She is extremely sick. Three residents have died so far, including one of her friends. The nursing home didn't tell me this part - my mom is a staff favorite and a lot of them tell her what's going on. I'm glad that they like her and she is treated well. However, I'm not sure this particular information is necessarily helpful to her. :frown:

I have been doing some COVID testing and believe the numbers are being downplayed to the public for whatever reason. I know it takes some time to process, but we report every positive case the very day we have results. I keep track of the number of cases in my county, which is public information. It seems the number of positive cases should be much, much higher. And yes, as denice denice said, there are young people who seem ordinarily healthy and are getting hit hard. IMHO, the number of young people is increasing.

If I've repeated anything anyone else said, I apologize. I did not read the whole thread. I just saw it as a topic and decided to contribute what I know (or think).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone is getting Pandemic depression.. We are all tired of this... We want it to be over... but that does not see as if it will be soon. The more I briefly talk to people, that is all they are saying... It is very hard to keep it all together..

Another thing is that; so many people are not fully understanding the vaccine and the doses..

I am really shocked that so many feel the first dose of the vaccine is going to allow full protection.. a license to just go and 'do things'... It is amazing...

And then they feel that the second dose, will mean that you can never get sick.. No way.. it is so incredible to me that people are so desperate to get this over with, that they are believing whatever they want from the disease...

The real truth is that the first dose is just that.. a first dose.. not a cure.. not a barrier.. You still need masks, SD, etc...
The second does is just a booster.. This does not give you full immunity.. as much as people wish for it.. It just means that IF you do get Covid, The symptoms should not e as sever as they could have been... People do not understand. It does not give them Carte Blanche to remove masks, etc...

It is similar to a flu shot.. You still have to be careful... People are not believing it.
They are believing the immunity of it.. This is not to be taken lightly..

Ex; A friend in here, who is elderly but in good health. Her daughter asked her to not socialize and to quarantine for a couple weeks, before the vaccine. My friend and her daughter are taking it that once the first dose is administered, she can then go out!!! OMGosh..

I tried to explain it to her, but she said she understood..She became upset that I was not understanding what SHE is doing... I let it go... but shook my head...

So I really do not get what this entire quarantine of hers is about~~ when she feels she can go out after the first dose..

People are so mixed up...