Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sort of believe we should inoculate healthy younger people first (starting with anyone in essential positions, ie, people who are out there working now). So much spread is from asymptomatic people, so this would slow that down. Plus, because these vaccines are being rolled out faster than any previous ones, I feel like healthy young people will be less affected by any potential negative side effects. Giving a new vaccine to a compromised old person just sounds as dangerous as letting an asymptomatic nurse care for that old person.
There has been push back on inoculating the elderly in nursing homes with the first group. Only one person at the CDC meeting where they set the priorities voted against it so it will go forward. The reason she gave was that the health care system is stretched so thin they can't guarantee care for nursing home residents if they don't react well to it. This vaccine does cause more of a reaction then we are used to, it creates a flu like state often including fever for a day or two. Before the vote the people who were against it said that they are still trying to build confidence in the vaccine. Giving it to elderly people in frail condition is more likely to cause serious side effects which will make it harder to build confidence in the vaccine.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an Email from my bank yesterday. They are going back to Lockdown protocol,
no one allowed inside the bank unless they have an appt. In 2 weeks our county's
cases have climbed to over 1500 more.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had pneumonia once. It was pretty bad. But flu feels like being run over by a truck.
Pneumonia and bronchitis with asthma are pretty bad... in different ways than the flu, but really bad also.. you can get these as a result of the flu, also...

Any herbal treatments are ok to post.. as long as you are not profiting from it..

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I made it through thanksgiving and no one caught COVID, I am seriously thinking about canceling any Christmas get togethers. Usually I have my son and his GF for Christmas Eve and then go to my sisters for Christmas day.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I got an Email from my bank yesterday. They are going back to Lockdown protocol,
no one allowed inside the bank unless they have an appt. In 2 weeks our county's
cases have climbed to over 1500 more.
We're going to be seeing more of that type of thing, unfortunately. They've cut the number of contacts you can have here to half what it was, i.e., only 5 people from no more than 2 households can meet up, added to the list of places where you have to wear masks, e.g., parking lots, and announced that hairdressers will have to close if the the "7-day incidence" reaches 200 new cases per 100,000 inhabitants; our county is at 152, so people will be scrambling for appointments. Retailers are open, but the capacity limits have been cut again. Restaurants, etc., have been closed again for a month.

It's going to be a tough winter.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any herbal treatments are ok to post.. as long as you are not profiting from it..
Nah, I'd rather not discuss it anymore. Calling something "less than useless", to somebody it has actually benefited? I'd rather just talk about other things...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have it on very good authority that an American airline is using its wide body planes converted to cargo when the pandemic started, to fly vaccine from Brussels to hubs in the USA, packed in sufficient dry ice for the journey. The first one for the airline I've been told about was to Chicago.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
United has flown one batch to Chicago already and it is being distributed but can't be used because the FDA hasn't approved it for emergency use yet. They had to get a waiver because they were going to need more then the limit for dry ice.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So far, I have three employees out with COVID (two no symptom but tested positive when we sent that location to get tested after the first) and three in quarentine from finding out people they shared Thanksgiving with have covid now awaiting testing. I've had to have two of my office deep cleaned this week. Be safe out there people.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it has gotten so widespread that it is very hard to avoid other then just never leave your home for anything. Vaccination isn't going to get to the point of reigning this in for a number of months, if then considering the number of antivaxxers now. We don't know how long immunity will last either. If it is like the flu shot and given that this is still active in the summer, far more so then the flu, are we just going to be in a constant state of being vaccinated or awaiting our turn to be vaccinated?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There has been push back on inoculating the elderly in nursing homes with the first group. Only one person at the CDC meeting where they set the priorities voted against it so it will go forward. The reason she gave was that the health care system is stretched so thin they can't guarantee care for nursing home residents if they don't react well to it. This vaccine does cause more of a reaction then we are used to, it creates a flu like state often including fever for a day or two. Before the vote the people who were against it said that they are still trying to build confidence in the vaccine. Giving it to elderly people in frail condition is more likely to cause serious side effects which will make it harder to build confidence in the vaccine.
That makes sense, and is in line with what I was thinking. We recently had a flu vaccine problem here in Korea. It was deemed completely safe, but the media jumped on the number of people who coincidentally died within days of getting it. This year they had planned to inoculate as many people as possible (for free) due to double pandemic concerns, but that meant a lot of sick elderly got the shot and just happened to die shortly afterward, however it couldn't be proven that the flu vaccine had any actual hand in their deaths. The media widely reported it in a way that scared people away from getting the free vaccine, and made everyone here even more skeptical about the COVID vaccine. Which the Korean government now says they will wait for, rather than paying extra to be first in line. They are going with the AstraZeneca vaccine and plan to secure 40 mil doses (for a population of about 52 mil)

we're in the middle of our 3rd wave right now, with 500 cases countrywide per day, which is the highest it's ever been. Still, we're faring much better than other places and there are talks of opening travel bubbles with some of the neighboring countries.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This explains how the Pfizer vaccine was developed so quickly (less than a year) compared to typical vaccines (20 to 30 years or more) while still meeting or exceeding safety and effectiveness rules:

:whistle: Take all discussion of using animals in research to the IMO forum.

There's also this UK Department of Health and Society Twitter feed with clear info of how the vaccine was developed and just approved by the UK:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1334105031734415360

So mad at those 20-something year old RAs :bat: Because they're so lax about following all the safety protocols at work to keep everyone safe, more restrictive measures have been put in place. My department takes up an entire dedicated floor but we're no longer allowed to eat in our break room or other office spaces on the floor. We have to go downstairs to our dedicate lounge space or one of the other rooms reserved just for us in order to eat or drink anything. It is going to be such a PITA now to change out of work clothes into regular clothes, go downstairs, find an empty room, have a quick snack or lunch, go back upstairs, change back into work clothes. A 5 minute snack break is going to take up at least 20 minutes with all the clothing changes and wasting of PPE and elevator waiting :gaah:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are hoping for FDA approval for the Pfizer vaccine by Dec 10. I am hearing complaints about Britain already approving this and the FDA still hasn't. The FDA has an extra step. Britain takes the data from the pharmaceutical company at face value, the FDA doesn't. They have an independent group of scientists go through the data and give their opinion. I don't personally remember it but there was an issue with a drug called thalidomide in the 50's and 60's that was given to pregnant women for morning sickness. Their babies were born with birth defects, the most common flipper like arms and legs. That drug was never approved by the FDA in the U.S., there were about 20,000 women in the U.S. who took it but we didn't have nearly the issue with it that some other countries did. We will get there, it will just take a little longer. We have doses here that are being distributed so it will be ready when and if the FDA gives their approval.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
We have at least 10 more residents and possibly 5 more employees, still waiting past 2 days test results.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My Routine Covid test results were negative. I really did not expect otherwise..

The building has arranged, with the City, to provide periodic---4-6 weeks testing, on site.
The next one will probably be the rapid, 20 minute for results one.

I think the semi-partnership the parent company has with Harvard Medical School has something to do with it. They are somehow related. All the staffs email addresses are @.....hms.com so...

During a Zoom meeting, the Building Director informed us that he and management has arranged, with CVS, to provide us with an on-site Covid Vaccine Clinic.. This is amazing..

My building is officially listed as Independent Senior Housing; however, there are many residents here who are not independent. They just stay here, forever.. So I guess we are lumped into the official category of "Senior Facilities".
This means that we will be in the category for one of the first to receive the Vaccine; right under healthcare workers..

Not sure if that is good or bad. It is an accomplishment for the Parent company, and for the building management to arrange a partnership with CVS for the vaccine clinic.
On the other hand, I hate being lumped in the category of long term facilities... I am still independent.. but.....
and: I do have my doubts about the vaccine.. I want to know the long term effects if it. I seem to get really bad reactions to any and all vaccines.. I know this is different.. not being a live virus.. but....

I do realize something has to be dramatically done for Covid.. This may be the only thing... besides isolation, mask wearing, social distancing..

I will most likely get the vaccine, when offered. It seems as if it will be too complicated, in the long run, to wait... The two shots requirement will be very difficult to manage, if I decide to do it on my own.. It has to be the same vaccine, and spaced 3-4 weeks apart.. It will kind of be pandemonium, if I resort to my own measures in doing so... This is going to be easier all around: In distribution, vaccine type, timing, tracking side effects, etc.... Even seeking medical care. The building is really good about keeping tabs on anyone who is really sick--with anything.

In other things: Covid is really getting bad in my community. I was up very early, waiting in line before 6am at the grocery store. I was double masked: disposable plus non disposable ones.. had gloves on for cleaning my shopping cart.. discarded them immediately after cleaning...

It has come to that point around here. I am expecting mini-lockdown any day now.. I will support it. In fact, I feel the governor should impose more restrictions, stepping back at least one level.. but, I understand the economic repercussions... But something needs to be done. Governor Baker has done a good job with Covid, and seems to be on top of things. He has a good head on his shoulders..

Going to be spending more time at home now... with more internet ordering... I do not care about shipping delays for things. I have enough supplies to cover that.. I will only be going out for necessities..
Forgot to pick up some tea and coffee while I was at the store... sigh..

I realized I can just order them.. I have an old Keurig account.. I can re-use that, and I have Instacart from earlier in the year. I do not like using them, but... and they do have a mini store in the building. They have been expanding the stock, in limited brands and amounts, prepping up for the Surge and the Winter..
So, I guess I am in pretty good shape... much better than most..

With all the issues in here, it is really a good place to live, in your senior years.. even if there are some really nasty, cranky, demanding tenants in here... I keep to myself, mostly..

Still thankful for living here..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the semi-partnership the parent company has with Harvard Medical School has something to do with it. They are somehow related. All the staffs email addresses are @.....hms.com so...

No, Harvard Medical School's email addresses are hms.harvard.edu

With all the issues in here, it is really a good place to live, in your senior years.. even if there are some really nasty, cranky, demanding tenants in here... I keep to myself, mostly..
One of my aunts lived in a low income senior apartment until she died. I think she really liked living there. Her apartment was teeny tiny but it was always full with her adult children and all the grandkids She'd have holiday dinners there too and over 20 people would be crammed inside. I don't know why my parents won't sell their house and move into senior housing. Or at least put their names on one of the lengthy waiting lists. The upkeep of a large two family house is getting too much and too expensive for them.

The new restrictions at work are such a PITA for my department, no thanks to the 20-something year olds who have been completely disregarding all the safety guidelines :angrywoman: People are starting to skip breaks and lunches because it's too much of a hassle to change out of work clothes, wait for the elevator, find an empty room, eat and drink, then the reverse to go back to work. It's not a big deal for other employees in other departments because they have private offices to eat in and they don't have to change clothes.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my aunts just moved into a senior apartment complex. Not quite assisted living, but (normally) they do have a cafeteria/community room where they play cards and have communal lunch, and I think laundry and cleaning assistance are available for a price. But of course right now they aren't playing cards or eating lunch together so I don't know why she bothered to move in; she had a perfectly good apartment where she was. But then with the waiting lists I guess you have to take it when it's open.

There have been 145 COVID deaths reported in this state since December 1st. It's only the 5th!