Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Less Covid cases here than the other counties closer to the city.
Many people who were able to have left cities because of the pandemic. Governor Cuomo jokingly offered to buy dinner for people who moved back to New York City. The same thing happened during the Spanish Flu Epidemic. The wealthy did return and they kept their country homes for a getaway. Governor Cuomo probably isn't so much concerned about the people returning as he is about their money and the taxes they paid returning.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like a lot of people are moving away from cities. Small acreages are a hot commodity around here right now; even an hour away from Sioux Falls, some people are willing to commute, or are now able to work from home. I'm sure they have starry-eyed ideas about raising their own garden and chickens, etc., but reality always gets them eventually, lol.

I keep getting postcards from realtors begging me to sell my acreage. I'm glad I got in before demand went up.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remote work has made it possible for people who aren't wealthy to move out of cities. The gentrification of downtown areas has priced a lot of people out of cities. If someone can work remote why not keep going rather then just going to the suburbs. The wealthy that moved into the downtown areas have fled because of the pandemic but they will probably be back.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket still has plenty of paper goods and even a good amount of various brands of hand soaps and sanitizers. I even saw a couple different Clorox and Lysol bathroom cleaner products.

Real Christmas / holiday trees demand have increased this season, according to some news articles I've seen. People started buying their trees well before Thanksgiving. I guess with it being a weird year, people want to celebrate the holidays early and have something cheery and normal in their lives. The independent grocery store near me got another huge truckload of trees this morning. That's more trees to the front outdoor store area that has been full of trees for the past week.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was last in the supermarket Thanksgiving morning and they seemed pretty well stocked. Since this started they have had a limit of 3 total of disinfectants and cleaners. They dropped their hand soap limit and they stay stocked on this. They still had plenty of paper products but I did notice they now have a limit of one on those. With those huge packs of humongous rolls I think 1 is a reasonable limit.

I just ordered a UV light sanitizer off Amazon for my phone, something about using disinfectant wipes on a phone doesn't seem like a good idea. While I was at it I got a pack of twelve cloth napkins so I can quit using the paper towels for napkins.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The city is nice but if you wanted to rent there you are looking at about $1800.00 a month. Buying a house here is pricey too.
I wouldn't really call it a city, but the town 30 minutes from here is perfect. I've always wanted to live there. It has Walmart, 2 grocery stores, BJs, Tractor Supply, dollar store, drug stores, a billion restaurants, JCPenney.

something about using disinfectant wipes on a phone doesn't seem like a good idea.
I use Pledge Multi-Surface on my phone a billion times. I've used both the wipes and the spray on a paper towel.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used Clorox wipes on my phone but they leave a residue and streaky screen. Alcohol wipes are better for smartphones, I think.

I bought one of those UV light sanitizers too (it was on clearance really cheap, hope it works!), but I haven't tried it yet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up on a farm so I have no starry-eyed ideas about living in the country. No quick response from first responders for anything. Getting to a hospital that can give anything beyond general care for minor illnesses or injury means a life flight and those are not cheap. Dealing with wildlife and the dogs that people take out in the country and dump. Clean safe water supply and septic tanks. Being without electricity for much longer when lines are down and it goes on and on and on. I personally like the suburbs though they are a running joke among many. A little space, a lot of green space, close to everything that is needed or wanted and quick response in an emergency. To me it is the best of both worlds.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bought my acreage the farmer put "no whining about nearby farm activities" in the contract, lol. The realtor said "no whining" clauses aren't legal so he had to take it out. But yep, probably most "city kids" who buy acreages whine about a lot of stuff.

I bought a place on the highway so that I can always get to work and don't have to worry as much about emergencies. But that does mean that the dogs can't go off-leash and I can't have outdoor cats. But that's safer for them anyway.

And other than not having COVID-riddled nearby neighbors, I'm not sure it really reduces your chances of exposure much. You still have to go to town fairly often, and if you stay out there alone too long, you'll LOOK for reasons to go into town! Even if you're antisocial like me ;). Obviously South Dakota didn't get spared despite all the "social distancing" jokes we made at the beginning.

54 new COVID deaths were reported today. A new record.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alcohol wipes are better for smartphones, I think.
I wanted to try alcohol for cleaning, but I didn't know what kind to get.

A little space, a lot of green space, close to everything that is needed or wanted and quick response in an emergency. To me it is the best of both worlds.
Exactly. It's just too far away from everything out here.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! I just got some poo paper from Walmart. :cheerleader: It said only 2 left, hurry and order, so I snagged one 18 pack.
Weird times, where we get excited over toilet paper. 🤔 Also got a case of cat food, cat treats, some spicy chips, granola, habanero salsa. All the important things in life.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to try alcohol for cleaning, but I didn't know what kind to get.
Just regular rubbing alcohol, 70% or 91%. Most places have it now (around here), although there were shortages before. If you can't find a bottle, many hand disinfectant wipes and "screen wipes" are alcohol-based so look at the ingredient list.

Most alcohol-based hand sanitizers have moisturizers added so those leave streaks.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a shortage at one point but most places here seem to be stocking hand sanitiser regularly again. I always see lots of it on the shelves when I go to the supermarkets.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of there being a shortage of Tums, specifically the "smoothies"??? The shelves, pretty much everywhere I shop, have always been empty or super short supply when I try to get some.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of there being a shortage of Tums, specifically the "smoothies"??? The shelves, pretty much everywhere I shop, have always been empty or super short supply when I try to get some.
Hah, that's funny, I noticed that too! I assumed it was a supply chain issue not a panic buying issue but who knows. I just get Walmart brand so it's not brand specific.

(I use mint-flavored calcium antacids as a calcium supplement. I can't stand swallowing a large chalky pill, and chewable calcium supplements either taste terrible or are way too expensive.)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(I use mint-flavored calcium antacids as a calcium supplement. I can't stand swallowing a large chalky pill, and chewable calcium supplements either taste terrible or are way too expensive.)
I have read that calcium has to be broken down by acid in the stomach for it to be absorbed in the intestines. Adding calcium to an antacid defeats the normal way that calcium is absorbed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that calcium has to be broken down by acid in the stomach for it to be absorbed in the intestines. Adding calcium to an antacid defeats the normal way that calcium is absorbed.
It's just pure calcium carbonate (and flavors). That's what lowers the stomach acid, when the acid breaks it down. Or something, lol.
Verify your identity
^^link should work, I don't know why it says that^^

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ask-expert/featured/tums-good-source-calcium

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
as anyone heard of there being a shortage of Tums, specifically the "smoothies"??? The shelves, pretty much everywhere I shop, have always been empty or super short supply when I try to get some.
I just bought a big bottle of Tums Smoothies from Walmart.