Corona Virus Now Spreading

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some can be washed and reused over and over again.
Can't, since she won't let anybody use the washing machine. 🙁 Dad confided in me the other day that he wishes he could use the washing machine too! I wish he would stand up to her. It's his house! We will have to start going to the laundromat. It's just stupid though, with a washing machine right there. Makes no sense...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of those big packs is probably excessive for one person but that is what is available now.
Yes, they are too big. I was in the grocery today, and there were plenty of paper towels and TP. There was a limit of only one to a customer. I only wanted two singles of paper towels, but I had to go with one because there were no packs with two rolls of towels. One of those packs with a dozen rolls would last me two years.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Merriam-Webster’s definition of selfish expresses it perfectly:
Concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
Sad but true. Some people are not thinking of others outside of their one nest. Every month Nicole and I donate toilet paper
and Puffs to the St. Vincent de Paul Society I can't give a lot but every little bit helps.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to go to Mass at a Catholic Church that was in an economically distressed area and their St Vincent de Paul Society was very active. They had designated one Sunday a month for donations to the Society. People could bring their donations to Mass with them and drop them off in an area at the back of the sanctuary.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have chronic sinusitis and have been inflamed for about a month. The other day I started getting chills, body aches, upset stomach so they suspect COVID.

I got the Rapid test done at work and it was negative and the one sent to the lab was negative. I went to Urgent Care and she gave me antibiotics for my sinus infection, but she said it sounds like I have COVID so I'm on a sick vacay until I can get retested Friday and hopefully come back negative.

I can tell you I'm a germ freak and wash my hands like I'm going to do surgery, use lots of hand sanitizer and wear my mask, but all it takes is one little member of the virus to infect you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My step mom is still sick and now my nephew and Dad are sick and running fevers. My Dad sounds awful. He already has COPD and other health issues so this tough. My step mom requires a lot of care and I know everyone is exhausted there. My sister in law is a PA so she and my brother went to help out. Now I’m worried about them too. My step niece is there and already had Covid so I hope she will remain safe and be able to attend to everyone. It’s really hard to be so far from them and unable to do anything. I told my Dad that there is a flip side. I know he will beat it and once he gets over it, he should have some immunity and won’t have to live being so afraid of it anymore. He liked that thought. He has been wanting to go out to a park or somewhere for months. Maybe this will lead to better days. Hoping.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand this, people use only paper to wipe surfaces and not washable fabrics?
I don't really use that many paper towels. The only cleaning I use paper towels for is windows and mirrors. I clean surfaces with a disinfecting cleaner and cloth. That does mean more laundry because of using a separate cloth for each surface. For daily wipe downs though I use the disinfecting wipes which are disposable. I mostly use paper towels for napkins. I know I could get a stack of the cloth napkins and launder them rather then throw them away but I have gotten into the habit of using paper towels. I don't know how I got into that habit but I did. A regular size roll of paper towels used to last me at least a month because I only used them for cleaning glass.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to use microfiber cloths for cleaning and wiping up stuff like water or soap, although sometimes I get fed up with laundry and use paper towels. I always keep paper towels around because I'm not cleaning up cat barf or poop with washable cloths!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of us on septic tanks and well water, washing lots of laundry can be an issue. I already wash lots of human laundry, cat bedding and with the amount of cleaning done here for a Clowder, paper towels for unsanitary messes are very useful. Clorox is my go to for sanitizing laundry but it can be in short supply. I use paper towels for things like hairballs and the occasional :barfgreen: from a kitty.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I use Hindi-Wipes and wash them in the machine on gentle with a bit of Tide and bleach, then
toss them when they get worn.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go to Mass at a Catholic Church that was in an economically distressed area and their St Vincent de Paul Society was very active. They had designated one Sunday a month for donations to the Society. People could bring their donations to Mass with them and drop them off in an area at the back of the sanctuary.
That's how ours is, STVDP is an amazing organization. No judgements on why you need help.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of us on septic tanks and well water, washing lots of laundry can be an issue.
Sounds like you live out in the boonies like us. Septic, well, no Walmart. I thought you lived in town. ☹
I would love to live in town within walking distance of Walmart. Then I wouldn't even need a car. And on town water I could do as many loads of laundry as I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you live out in the boonies like us. Septic, well, no Walmart. I thought you lived in town. ☹
I would love to live in town within walking distance of Walmart. Then I wouldn't even need a car. And on town water I could do as many loads of laundry as I want.

794 cases of Corona in St. Lawrence County. 9 deaths. It's coming for us. 😕
You would find that even in the city here, many homes still have septic systems and wells. The city is nice but if you wanted to rent there you are looking at about $1800.00 a month. Buying a house here is pricey too. Slightly outside the city is much more affordable. Not as bad as further north though. It’s double there.
I live in a small town but near several larger ones. There is a Walmart in the area. I also have two septic tanks on the property. As long as I have the septic tank pumped conce in awhile, I can do laundry just fine. I have a deep well too. I can get water through the county if I wanted to. I can walk to a few places but a car is required for the Walmart or any large stores. It’s not exactly the boonies but not city either. Right now living a bit outside major cities is a plus. Less Covid cases here than the other counties closer to the city. Our rates are much lower than most of the state. We are only five minutes from our vet, maybe 10 to 15 miles from everything we really need often. The largest of the small towns nearby has been growing into a small city. When I first moved here, there was only a convenience store, post office and a grocery store ten miles away. Now there are outlet malls, every big box store and all the places the city would hold. You would just have a long walk. However, cars are fairly inexpensive compared to other places.