Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My house is small even though it's just me, the dog, the cat, and the fish so my stocking up is extremely limited. I went about a month ago and bought $200 worth of groceries - canned stuff, frozen stuff, and some snacks. I really can't store much more than that, but I will be set for a while at least.

I'm not sure worried about running out of food, anyway - my parents live on a farm about 20 minutes away with cattle, chickens, ducks, and land plus their own stores of food. If worse really came to worse, we can certainly survive.

I have been buying perishables like milk and bread as-needed, and I need to get some more paper towels as I'm on my last roll. I'd love to find hand soap but I just can't right now, for whatever reason. But I do have sanitizer so that's better than nothing.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a stay at home order in my county started 18 November till 18 December

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something on the news from an airport in Atlanta. Woman was asked why she was traveling when the CDC said not to travel. She said, "Nothing is going to keep me away from spending the holidays with my babies!!" :lol:
Well if someone gets COVID that will keep them away.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone seems to have a reason, something that is too important. I don't remember how many people but cases went back to a wedding here in Ohio. The infected included the bride and groom. I know a wedding is an important event, something that a girl especially has often thought about even as a child, but is it really worth the risk?
We forget, even in these days, that some couples HAVE to get married.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio has leveled off but it is way to high, between 7 and 8 thousand new cases a day with a total of 343,000. Franklin county had 848 new cases yesterday and a total of 47,321 cases. The state has had 5,934 deaths and Franklin county has had 664 deaths. Our death rate is lower then many states. Our positivity rate is at 24.7, right before this recent surge it was down to 2.7.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We forget, even in these days, that some couples HAVE to get married.
My mom is arguing about that right now with my cousin, lol. She honestly HAS to get married---she's 7 months pregnant and ought to be on his insurance---but they can't have the party yet so they don't want to get married. And my mom is like "go to the courthouse and get married for $50, and have the reception later!" And they're like "but then it's not a REAL wedding!" Etc. :rolleyes2:

--‐----------------------------------------------------------------

Here, 42 new deaths were on the last report, bringing total deaths to 819, 404 of those since November 1st. That's almost one out of every 1,000 residents who has died so far! 4 of the new deaths were in people under 60. I guess you could say things are improving slightly, as the new test positivity rate is 41%, and last week it was in the 50%-60% range. But I'm sure Thanksgiving will take care of that :/.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made a bit of a fool of myself today.....I'm usually SUPER careful, and it was my first flub but....

I was in my own little world today at the grocery store, and I put my cart out of the way while I picked out my meat. Another man, had left his cart right in front of where the meat was and walked away to go get something else. I then, in my oblivious state, grabbed HIS cart and started walking away. I noticed within a few seconds, just as he walked back over. I exclaimed, "Oh my!....I'm so sorry!"....as I reached out and touched his arm!!!!!!!!!:shocked:
So yeah, I touched his cart...touched his arm.......what is wrong with me! LOL!:doh2:
Thankfully he laughed, and said no problem. I apologized again, completely horrified...and another couple was laughing at what I did as well....I think they were mostly laughing at my reaction more than my flub. The large majority of people are very understanding and gracious, and we don't have a significant amount cases, so most, although they do their due diligence, are pretty relaxed. I'm just glad he wasn't all freaked out...:thumbsup:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question is:
Did you usually hoard/stock up in the past years as well like you're doing now?

If the answer is "yes, I always stocked up", then there's no issue to discuss about.
If the answer is "no, I'm hoarding in this particular time of our hisytory because of the pandemia", then we have to ask ourselves what is scaring us.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Question is:
Did you usually hoard/stock up in the past years as well like you're doing now?

If the answer is "yes, I always stocked up", then there's no issue to discuss about.
If the answer is "no, I'm hoarding in this particular time of our hisytory because of the pandemia", then we have to ask ourselves what is scaring us.
I normally would buy a 6 roll of tp but after the bare stores I have been stocking up. I always used Clorox wipes and they all disappeared so when I see them I buy 1 or 2. We bought our frozen Thanksgiving turkey breast in the Spring because it was the only real meat at the store.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So the reason why the company changed the lunch policy is because the 20-something year old RAs have been gathering in groups to eat lunch and share food without masks on or socially distancing and that has caused positive cases among employees to go up :bat: The boss is still trying to get us dedicated spaces to use for lunch.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family has been hit by Covid. My elderly step mom has not left the house but apparently a caregiver got exposed and brought it in. Please stress to others that a mask is a small inconvenience to pay for the life of another or yourself. My father has now been exposed although he does not go out either. He is 93. My younger nephew is exposed as well since he must help with caregiving. Perhaps one mask could have prevented all of this.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My family has been hit by Covid. My elderly step mom has not left the house but apparently a caregiver got exposed and brought it in. Please stress to others that a mask is a small inconvenience to pay for the life of another or yourself. My father has now been exposed although he does not go out either. He is 93. My younger nephew is exposed as well since he must help with caregiving. Perhaps one mask could have prevented all of this.
Merriam-Webster’s definition of selfish expresses it perfectly:
Concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others​

I hope your family members get through this okay, Jcatbird Jcatbird .

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps one mask could have prevented all of this.
Exactly! I work at a nursing home and we”vehad residents and staff with Covid. Some of the staff I know don’t wear masks outside of work and have been the ones to contract it. Our night shift was caught not wearing masks and that is where most of our employees were positive.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew had it, and his wife. They have a five year old who did not come down with it. He thinks he got it at work, because his work was not careful, they live in a state that is not restricting much since the governor is not wanting to put restrictions on.
They recovered fine, for now. He quit his job and was very luckily able to find a work-from-home computer jog.
I agree with Merriam-Webster definition of selfishness.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it's panic buying, not hoarding.
I stay out ahead more then I used to because of seeing empty shelves. We still have issues with disinfectants but the rest of it is pretty good. I have a cache of disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer. I am only replacing when I see it again which may be awhile. I hadn't intended to get as far ahead on paper products as I have but all I have seen for awhile are the multipacks of the humongous rolls of toilet paper and paper towels. One of those big packs is probably excessive for one person but that is what is available now.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I stay out ahead more then I used to because of seeing empty shelves. We still have issues with disinfectants but the rest of it is pretty good. I have a cache of disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer. I am only replacing when I see it again which may be awhile. I hadn't intended to get as far ahead on paper products as I have but all I have seen for awhile are the multipacks of the humongous rolls of toilet paper and paper towels. One of those big packs is probably excessive for one person but that is what is available now.
I’d love to find a can of Lysol or generic