Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I always buy ahead, too, like I always keep a spare bag/case of dog/cat food, and as soon as I open one I go buy another spare, etc. I did put together a little emergency stash on top of the usual supply, but only gradually and if the supplies at the store look sufficient.

I still see things that say not to use medical-type masks because health care workers need them. Look, if Amazon is selling a box of 50 for $3.99 (and they are!), then I think supplies are doing just fine and I'm gonna buy them. But if the health care workers do need them, they should let me know and I'll buy them several boxes from Amazon for $3.99 each ;).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were down to our last roll of toilet paper, so my husband got two 12 packs from Meijer and I grabbed a 12 pack from Jewel which is more than we'd normally keep, but I feel like we're going through it so fast because I'm basically peeing all the time now. I also grabbed two boxes of contact solution (with two bottles per box) and a travel sized for the hospital. I know they'll get used, and I don't have to worry about it for the next few months either if we're locked down or I'm sleep deprived with a newborn. I was also pretty desperate in the spring - I remember I had to get a couple single rolls of tp from a gas station because that was the only place I could find them, and now that I'm so close to my due date, I want to make sure I have things on hand rather than having to run around to multiple stores.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tiny apartment— 600 sq ft or so. Only a clothes closet, a tiny supply closet. And a very small coat closet. Between car food, litter, my supplies... it is ridiculous. But I feel good about what I have.

As klunick klunick said, I am only replenishing what I am using up. I use a lot of PT, TP, Tissues. Geoffrey is also a vomiter. So I need the PT.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hoarding is accumulating more than you need.

If I need 300 rolls of toilet paper a month, I'm still not hoarding, however ridiculous that seems to some.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stocking up to cover a few months is a good idea, but buying enough for years is not. 150 rolls of toilet paper and a dozen bottles of sanitizer? Ridiculous.
Like I posted earlier, judge me if you want. But if my 82 year old mom who can't get out to get stuff easily needs something like toilet paper, paper towels, or cleaning supplies I want to be able to give her as much as she needs. If my sister who went all over town to find me some TP needs something, I want to repay the favor. If my coworker who bought me some meat so my kids wouldn't go without needs my help, I will repay his generosity.

Also I never EVER!! want to see the look in my kids' eyes when they heard me and my husband talking about trying to find things to feed us. Or that we might have nothing to use to wipes our butts. It broke my heart and if people want to say I am ridiculous, go for it. I am not ashamed that I am prepared this time around and I won't feel like a failure as a Mom and get so depressed and feel hopeless.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am one of the 'lucky' ones. I don't drive so hubby does all the shopping. After I got sick when I turned 50, I gradually quit cooking. Fortunately hubby likes to cook too. 2 years ago I lost 30 pounds. (don't get too impressed). I have gained 10 back. I still am sort of dieting. Half my plate is vegetables and I eat 3 cups of salad in a meal then a 1/2 cup of pinto beans and 1/2 apple. Sort of boring but having boring food is keeping the other 20 pounds from coming back SO FAR!
j

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For 4 people? I think that's reasonable. That's 37 1/2 rolls and 3 bottles of sanitizer per person, and I don't think that's crazy.
How long will it take one person to use 37+ rolls of toilet paper? Quite a while, I'd say. Or to use 3 bottles of sanitizer when you are staying at home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe? Idk. A pack at Sam's is 45 rolls so I know I have more TP than 37, lol. I wasn't hoarding on purpose; that's just my usual purchase.

I don't care for hand sanitizer but if someone uses it daily 3 bottles isn't out of the question. And plenty of people are still going to work/school.

Especially since we aren't supposed to go shopping too often. I normally only go shopping once every 2 weeks. What if they're out of something when I go? So I have to keep enough to last 4-6 weeks, at least. That's normal for me because I live so far from the city but also applies to those who are trying to minimize exposure.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With winter coming and the usual storms / blizzards / etc in the usual parts of the country that get those, stocking up now on essentials makes sense.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still go to the grocery store once a week early Saturday morning. I know I should cut it down to every two weeks. I work from home so it is pretty normal for me to go nowhere Monday thru Friday. My two big outings now are going to the supermarket Saturday morning and Starbucks on Sunday morning.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long will it take one person to use 37+ rolls of toilet paper? Quite a while, I'd say. Or to use 3 bottles of sanitizer when you are staying at home.
With my IBS-D and me having to get up in the middle of the night to pee 3 or 4 times I can easily go through a roll of TP a day. It would take me about 5 or 6 weeks to go through 37 rolls of toilet paper. I would always keep 2 cases of toliet paper and paper towels on hand in case I was snowed in or if I got sick and could not get to the store. I admit I am a food hoarder but I don't consider myself to be a toliet paper hoarder.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to argue with anyone about this. I'm just asking that everyone use some common sense and buy only what you need for the next week or two. Then the manufacturers and the supply chains can keep up with demand.

On a side note, I just checked the status of confirmed cases in my state, county, and city. The numbers are staring to go down, although they are still high.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Illinois went to Tier 3 on Friday. Sadly Chicago O'Hare airport had several travelers.
I saw something on the news from an airport in Atlanta. Woman was asked why she was traveling when the CDC said not to travel. She said, "Nothing is going to keep me away from spending the holidays with my babies!!" :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone seems to have a reason, something that is too important. I don't remember how many people but cases went back to a wedding here in Ohio. The infected included the bride and groom. I know a wedding is an important event, something that a girl especially has often thought about even as a child, but is it really worth the risk?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a wedding is an important event, something that a girl especially has often thought about even as a child, but is it really worth the risk?
Maybe I'm just being a bit mean but...at this point in this pandemic, it's been what...9 months or so of the "big spread"? In that amount of time, most people have had plenty of time to reschedule and cancel certain things to ensure they don't lose their money. Get married with a small intimate and SAFE gathering, and have your "big party" when this is done. And I'm sorry but it didn't take a genius to have had figured out that this was not going away and our lives could be back to normal quickly. Are weddings important? Depends on who you ask....
People who are terminally ill, or living their last year, are the only people I can think of that I would consider getting together for....of course, still in a safe manner.

But what gets me, is that IF proper precautions are taken, you can have gatherings....the problem is many don't take the proper precautions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't say I'm exactly hoarding, but I have been stocking up for months in preparation for winter and, as well as the possibility of a lockdown, or just not wanting to go out as much as in normal years.

I feel as long as you're not clearing the shelves of a particular product, even if you're, by some people's standards, hoarding, you're not really affecting other people.

I've been buying disinfectant wipes every time I see them on the shelf, as Ruby and her digestive issues can mean I go through a lot of wipes. I also have a stock of toilet tissue, though we've had no shortages in that since the spring. I still need to get more paper towels, as again with Ruby's issues, I sometimes go through several a day.

I'm also stocking up on cat food for Ruby, as she eats duck food, and I worry that disruptions in production or transportation could cause shortages or delays.

I've bought myself extra pasta and jarred pasta sauce, cereal and soymilk, rice, bread, canned beans, and tomatoes. Plus have an extra jar of peanut butter. So I have enough food to last a while. What I'd really miss, and did miss when I was only shopping once every 2 weeks or longer in the spring, was fresh fruit and veggies, particularly salads, bananas and berries. I do have a couple extra small bags of apples, plus carrots and onions.

About people travelling during a pandemic, the border between Canada and the US is closed, however, there are loopholes, as in though most Canadians can't drive across the border, and Americans can't drive or fly into Canada, the US is still allowing Canadians to fly into US airports, so some "snowbirds" are still planning their winter trips to Florida, Arizona, etc., despite the Canadian government advising against unnecessary travel.

Those who want to bring their own vehicle are having them shipped to the US. Covid medical insurance is available, but I wouldn't want to risk getting deathly ill in a "foreign" country. Most snowbirds are seniors, which also puts them at higher risk. Hope none of them will regret their decisions.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I'm just being a bit mean but...at this point in this pandemic, it's been what...9 months or so of the "big spread"? In that amount of time, most people have had plenty of time to reschedule and cancel certain things to ensure they don't lose their money. Get married with a small intimate and SAFE gathering, and have your "big party" when this is done. And I'm sorry but it didn't take a genius to have had figured out that this was not going away and our lives could be back to normal quickly. Are weddings important? Depends on who you ask....
People who are terminally ill, or living their last year, are the only people I can think of that I would consider getting together for....of course, still in a safe manner.

But what gets me, is that IF proper precautions are taken, you can have gatherings....the problem is many don't take the proper precautions.
I know here virtual wedding ceremonies are available. I know there isn't a big party afterward but all the trappings of the ceremony are there. The dress, the flowers, music is recorded but with digital now it probably is better then musicians that most people know or can afford. Invited guests join and watch virtually.