Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the hoarding has begun here again. Record breaking cases and the Governor threatening a partial shutdown must have done it. I didn't go down the paper products aisle but they still looked filled. The disinfectant and cleaning aisle was stripped almost to the point that it was last spring, I am glad that I have built up a stash. Some of the different types of milk were gone and the meat cases looked really bare. I didn't go down the aisle with frozen veggies because I have quite a bit in the freezer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket has started limiting bulk packs of paper towels and toilet paper to 2 per customer now. No limit on cleaning items yet but there also hasn't been a whole lot stocked or available anyways. Hand soap and sanitizers seem plentiful at the moment. I saw people with multiple cases of bottled water in their carts. I still don't get why people need to stock up / hoard bottled water :dunno:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went shopping today but didn't go to Walmart, so I don't know what the disinfectant aisle looked like. Costco, Sam's, and Hobby Lobby were all absolutely packed. But then I don't think anybody was panic buying at Hobby Lobby ;). So maybe it's sort-of-normal holiday buying? Idk. Costco and Sam's had low stocks on TP but seemed ok on paper towels. Neither of them has had name-brand disinfectants in months (or at least not when I'm there), but Sam's had their industrial products. Meat seemed well-stocked. Only about half the customers at Hobby Lobby were wearing masks, but that's probably to be expected. Sam's and Costco are pretty good at enforcing their mask policies.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket I go to has a Starbucks and it is where I go for my weekly latte. They have gone back to the one entrance on one end of the store and the exit on the other end of the store, they didn't have that yesterday. They never had the arrows for one way in the aisles. They have wide aisles as do most supermarkets. I always that that was silly, it just creates confusion and more congestion on the aisles on the ends.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New eating restrictions and whatnot go into effect after Thanksgiving at work due to rising cases in the state and a slight increase in the number of employees who have tested positive lately. We're no longer allowed to eat in empty conference rooms or the open kitchen / break spaces. So... we're are we supposed to eat lunch? The updated guideline says to eat in your office with the door closed. I don't have an office and neither do my co-workers who aren't management level. It's too cold to eat outside now in the nearby parks or public spaces. Hopefully the boss has more info to share with us next week at our meeting.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an alert saying they are not letting 3rd-5th graders go back in person after all and Friday was the last day of in person learning for K-2nd graders because of an up tick in cases. Only kids allowed in person learning are special needs kids.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just counted...
50 rolls of paper towels

146 rolls of TP (and that does not include the 6 rolls of boat TP from the last time shelves were bare).

7 bottles of disinfectant spray

8 tubs of disinfectant wipes

I will probably get a few more of the wipes and sprays and call it good. I figure 10 of each will last quite a while. Especially since they are now saying that all next year will probably be like 2020. :frown:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just counted...
50 rolls of paper towels

146 rolls of TP (and that does not include the 6 rolls of boat TP from the last time shelves were bare).

7 bottles of disinfectant spray

8 tubs of disinfectant wipes

I will probably get a few more of the wipes and sprays and call it good. I figure 10 of each will last quite a while. Especially since they are now saying that all next year will probably be like 2020. :frown:
Paper Towels? Tissues? Soap? Dishwashing Soap? Toothpaste? Napkins?

Just what I have in stock.....

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paper Towels? Tissues? Soap? Dishwashing Soap? Toothpaste? Napkins?

Just what I have in stock.....
None of the other stuff got hoarded last time so I didn't overstock on it. I do have several bars of soap plus several bathroom cleaning product already. I focused on what wasn't available last time. My pantry and freezer are also well stocked at this time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently the new workplace guidelines is news to the boss. She was not included in the discussions / decision to change the current guidelines. The company forgets that our department exists :rolleyes3: The boss is going to work something out so we have somewhere to eat lunch. We have our own private break room but there's 15 of us.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoarding like this is what caused the shortages.
:yeah: I totally agree. If everyone does the same thing, it's no wonder that stuff is missing in the stores.
It's not hoarding when it's done over the last 8 months and adding one pack of TP and paper towels every few weeks. :rolleyes: I never took the last pack nor did I buy multiple packs at a time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did that with the disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer. I even got an extra box of the disposable masks, I work from home so I go for days at a time without needing to wear one so that isn't a big need for me. I worked on that for most of the summer, getting one or two of something when it was available. I didn't really do that with the paper products. They only seem to have the large packs of those now so for one person it doesn't take many of those to get set for several months.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that with the disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer. I even got an extra box of the disposable masks, I work from home so I go for days at a time without needing to wear one so that isn't a big need for me. I worked on that for most of the summer, getting one or two of something when it was available. I didn't really do that with the paper products. They only seem to have the large packs of those now so for one person it doesn't take many of those to get set for several months.
I did not want to relive the absolute feeling of helplessness that I felt when the shelves were bare and I wondered how I was going to feed my family. And I couldn't even provide basic necessities like TP. It was awful. I felt desperation trying to order TP online only to have it sold out before I could hit the pay button.

People can say I am a hoarder and part of the problem. I don't care because I know I am not. If any of my friends or family was in need, I would help because they helped me the last time. I am well stocked and have been for a while so my grocery trips are only to replenish what was used during the week.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I look at it, it is not hoarding. It is stocking up.

We were hit very hard. The numbers are so high.. The city had my aprtment building in quarantine for 8 weeks. That means that we were NOT allowed to leave our apartments for 8 weeks! All it took was 5 positive Covid tests.. WE ended up with 28 cases and 18 deaths. It was not something I want to relive. If I can make things easier, this time around, I will.

The staff had to provide: meals, mail delivery, trash pick up, delivering any packages, for orders...
They had to ask for volunteers from the outside to help us!!! It was horrible.

We were scrambling for items. I had to rely on Instacart for groceries. My pharmacy does deliver.
It was grab what ever things you could find, wherever you could find them. Amazon had so many price gougers.. and they were unreliable in delivery. Instacart was pricey.. finding delivery windows was horrible. I had to set my alarm for 3 am , in order to get a delivery.

If I can avoid any of this panicking.. I will.. I am also, on a semi-difficult diet. I really want my own supplies. And I can get diarrhea or constipation when stressed. I have to have my supplies.

In addition, winter is upcoming. Will there be blizzards, impacting the food chain, in addition to Covid???
Who knows how reliable Instacart will be? or any delivery service? That is all I have tor rely on.

There is a tiny store in the building; however, prices are high, and products are very limited. Who knows how they will keep their suppliers if things get really bad.

No, I do not look at this as hoarding.. My supply will eventually get used up.. It is not hoarding. It is just stocking up and being smart. It is learning from past events.

I hate all the overstocking I have done. I hate going into my closet and seeing it all. But times are tuff. We have to be prepared. I do not have family to rely upon.

Please, before you accuse people of hoarding, try to think of the reasons behind what you see.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I look at it, it is not hoarding. It is stocking up.

We were hit very hard. The numbers are so high.. The city had my aprtment building in quarantine for 8 weeks. That means that we were NOT allowed to leave our apartments for 8 weeks! All it took was 5 positive Covid tests.. WE ended up with 28 cases and 18 deaths. It was not something I want to relive. If I can make things easier, this time around, I will.

The staff had to provide: meals, mail delivery, trash pick up, delivering any packages, for orders...
They had to ask for volunteers from the outside to help us!!! It was horrible.

We were scrambling for items. I had to rely on Instacart for groceries. My pharmacy does deliver.
It was grab what ever things you could find, wherever you could find them. Amazon had so many price gougers.. and they were unreliable in delivery. Instacart was pricey.. finding delivery windows was horrible. I had to set my alarm for 3 am , in order to get a delivery.

If I can avoid any of this panicking.. I will.. I am also, on a semi-difficult diet. I really want my own supplies. And I can get diarrhea or constipation when stressed. I have to have my supplies.

In addition, winter is upcoming. Will there be blizzards, impacting the food chain, in addition to Covid???
Who knows how reliable Instacart will be? or any delivery service? That is all I have tor rely on.

There is a tiny store in the building; however, prices are high, and products are very limited. Who knows how they will keep their suppliers if things get really bad.

No, I do not look at this as hoarding.. My supply will eventually get used up.. It is not hoarding. It is just stocking up and being smart. It is learning from past events.

I hate all the overstocking I have done. I hate going into my closet and seeing it all. But times are tuff. We have to be prepared. I do not have family to rely upon.

Please, before you accuse people of hoarding, try to think of the reasons behind what you see.
I also hate seeing all this "stuff". I am a minimalist at heart and unfortunately that is what screwed me the last time. I only bought enough to get through the week. I didn't have extras lying around the house. I tried Instacart one time because I absolutely could not get ground turkey anywhere!! That is our main meat source in the family. It was like Christmas when the lady came with a several pounds of ground turkey. At least then I knew my family could eat.

What is totally foreign to me is buying canned meals like Chef Boyardee or Dinty Moore. We had nothing like that on hand before so when we had no meat in the freezer, we were screwed!! I have the bottom shelf full of this type of stuff as well as pasta and sauces. We might be eating spaghetti every other day but at least we are eating.

And it's not like what I have on hand will never get used. Eventually, Covid has to go away, right???? :crossfingers:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also been replenishing my stock since the summer. The thing is, I have always been a bulk sale shopper. When things are on sale I stock up. So when poop hit the fan, I was already prepared because of what I've always done, but now I have been working at re stocking what was used up. I'm pretty much there when it comes to paper products, canned goods and frozen goods. I'm still waiting for a few more sales on meat, and I could get a couple of disinfectants, but I feel comfortable with what I have...again, I won't buy unless it's on sale. Last week laundry detergent was on sale so I bought a few bottles...didn't clean the shelves. My stock doesn't take over my living space, but I also don't have to worry about running out. To have to pay full price for something that has a long shelf life, makes me angry, so I never allow myself to get "to the last one" or run out of anything, never have.